Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buying a Brand New Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
robertbruder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 7:20pm
Just thought I would throw this out there. Anybody know anything about Centurion? That is the dealer that is on Morse Reservoir.
Current: 1988 Sierra Supreme
Past: 1986 Correct Craft Martinique, 1984 Ski Supreme, 1984 Bare Foot Nautique
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 9:48pm
One of my friends on our lake has one. Older one. I think its an 04 Lightning - V drive. It is pretty sensitive to weight placement and the wake is kind of bland, but it works. They surf very well. Not familiar with the newer ones but he has his serviced evry year in the spring and does absolutely nothing to it except put gas it all summer. No maintanance aside from Spring , doesnt even check the oil. He probably burns $200 a weekend in gas, bought the boat brand new as a leftover in 05 for $32k and it has never let him down. Not sure of the hours but it gets alot of use. It has ballast, a tower, handles rough water pretty well, but is no where near the quality of my CC . And even he will openly admit it. Thats all I got......

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 10:23pm
75 Tique - Quite the tear-jerker video there - Just what I needed to remind myself why I tune into a ski boat website all winter long.

Robert - Boats are irrational. Don't spend any money on them unless you want some pretty cool memories down the road . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 12:31am
Those are actually my kids. Larry cut and pasted them into his video.

Seriously, I hadn't seen it before, that's really a wonderful statement about why we all love boats. I really enjoyed it!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 1:06am
Larry's video is great...that is what it is all about!
I did not buy my first boat until four years ago. Always wanted a Correct Craft. Would not settle for anything less. Wish I could have done it sooner.
But we sure have been making up for lost time. It is truly the best family time. Go for it!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 1:24am
This is my favorite picture from last summer with the boat. It's my brother and nephew:

JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 1:32am
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

Larry's video is great...that is what it is all about!

Yep. My wife just came over to the computer and watched it with me. Come on summer!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 11:56am
Great video Larry. It ought to be added to the video section. Do you ever miss that Supra?

I've only bought one nice boat, but many trucks and whether I buy new or used always comes down to price difference. Looking at 5 year old or less SN 196's, it seems like the asking prices have increased substantially from 1-2 years ago. There's been some unbelievable deals during the past 2 years, but I don't see any right now. Anyone else see that?
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 11:58am
You can't begin to appreciate that video Larry unless you've had kids and raised them on the water.. Great fun watching that...

Remember, they have the same memories as you. Like I've said before, nothing better....

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Great video Larry. It ought to be added to the video section. Do you ever miss that Supra?

Thanks Bruce. Yeah, sometimes. Space and slalom wake, but thats about it. I like the vintage boat, the portability, the in-garage storage and that it has less to worry about/take care of/maintain. If and when the day comes that portability is not such an issue, a bigger boat might be nice.(2001 or TSC1)

Just a footnote on the video. Don't know if you guys caught it or not, but that is Kristi Overton skiing and signing the shirt on my daughter's back. Many other women champions there that day that signed as well. Big deal for a 10-11 year old girl. (OK, I thought it was cool, too)
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 12:24pm
+4 on the video. That was really cool.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 12:40pm

I've only bought one nice boat, but many trucks and whether I buy new or used always comes down to price difference. Looking at 5 year old or less SN 196's, it seems like the asking prices have increased substantially from 1-2 years ago. There's been some unbelievable deals during the past 2 years, but I don't see any right now. Anyone else see that?

MacCallum's has a couple pretty sweet 196s, at what I would consider a pretty good price coming from a dealer.

But yeah, I'd agree that in general, not one seems to be giving them away. The bad economy isn't that bad I guess.

2002 196 GT40 Blue

2004 196 Excal 330 Yellow

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 12:45pm
The only negative feedback I have heard about the SAN is that the seating seems to be low in the boat compared to other manufacturer models. Has anyone noticed this?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Looking at 5 year old or less SN 196's, it seems like the asking prices have increased substantially from 1-2 years ago. There's been some unbelievable deals during the past 2 years, but I don't see any right now. Anyone else see that?

MacCallum's has a couple pretty sweet 196s, at what I would consider a pretty good price coming from a dealer.

But yeah, I'd agree that in general, not one seems to be giving them away. The bad economy isn't that bad I guess.

I think the resurgance of 196 values has more to do with the introduction of the 200 than it does with the state of the economy. The high cost of entry, as well as the additional size and features that dont add value to a course/club skier (open bow, etc) seems to have made the TSC2 and TSC3 hulls hold (and sometimes increase) in value over the last year or so. At least that seems to be the consensus on PN.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 1:00pm
They seemed to have come up into the 30's from the 20's 1-2 years ago. Comments I've heard is that competitive skiers like the 200 much better. Wonder if that's really true.

Rob, I know 05210's 05 210 has a lot of fans that love that boat. I think there's a line forming to buy it if that tells you anything. That is probably aperfect boat to buy as far as cost/value goes, if you can find one.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 1:10pm

They seemed to have come up into the 30's from the 20's 1-2 years ago. Comments I've heard is that competitive skiers like the 200 much better. Wonder if that's really true.

It seems most agree that the 200's wake is incrementally better than the 196. All of the other aspects of the boat seem to have a very polarizing effect on people. Its a bigger, heavier, slower, more expensive boat. Anyone who doesnt need the extra storage or open bow and doesnt mind the very small wake penalty might be inclined to flock to a late model 196 instead of making the leap to a new 200. Im guessing thats exactly whats driving up the 196 values at the moment.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

2002 196 GT40 Blue

That '02 196 at MacCallum's is tempting for me, but I'm looking for an open bow so I'm trying to ignore it! I love dealing with Peter and his staff so I'd pay a bit more to buy a boat there.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by robertbruder robertbruder wrote:

The only negative feedback I have heard about the SAN is that the seating seems to be low in the boat compared to other manufacturer models. Has anyone noticed this?

Robert,
Perhaps you can tell us "why" you are looking at a SAN? Are you a true wakeboarder/surfer etc? Do you slalom ski?, pull tubes for the kids, what really?

I feel you are looking at this type boat for reasons you arent really sure of? Please don't get me wrong, we are certainly here to help, but if you are considering free board and seat height, and not because it's the premier killer wake first, you are heading down a dissapointing trail here, especially if you are financing the boat...

There are plenty of guys on here that will sing the praises of the SAN, new or old, but it's because of the wake spread, ramp and functions inside the boat that get you there... You are coming out od a "BIG" deep water type hulled boat. Deep seating, lots of room, smooth ride and cheap investment. Looking at a SAN you are going to sacrafice a lot of that for sure....

First, the slalom wake is a brick, many consider it a "wet" boat with it's lower freeboard. Storage will be better than your Martinique, but the ride wont be.... I chose to find a SV211 to give me more of the overall crossover in activities, room and ride... I couldn't be happier.... Eventhough it's the same length, It's dryer, smoother, and more family oriented..

Again, some will disagree with my accessment, but you may want to prioritize all of what you want in the boat, because with the SAN, you may not get exactly what you're looking for..... IMO.... You want deep seats, better off looking at a 230 !!! I mean if you are looking at throwing down the big bucks, or looking to finace for 20 years, I think you need some more time and ask yourself really "what" too buy... Sure, the Byerly special looks cool, but......

Now that you are completely confused, hope that helped Ha.. If

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 4:02pm
Moj'

I will be the first to admit that one of the reasons for looking at a SAN is the Wow factor it brings. 90% of my time on the boat is spent wakeboarding with a small crew of other wakeboarders or with my parents and nephew in the boat while I wakeboard. The majority of the people that would use the boat would be wakeboarding almost 90% of the time. I would like something that my nephew could tube behind but he is 7 and will probably be wakeboarding soon enough.

The comment about the seats being low is one that I read for a comparison between the SAN and Malibu Wakesetter. I've been aboard a Wakesetter and towed behind one. There was a big difference between that and the Martinique. I would love to stay with CC and move into a Wakeboarding boat.

I should also mention that I wakeskate and would like to get a boat that can support Wake Surfing.

I started out with outboards and I/0's that just didn't cut it for what I wanted to do wakeboarding wise. I then got my first inboard a Ski Supreme which was a step in the right direction but not exactly what I was looking for. I moved to the Martinique due to the open bow and somewhat regret moving from a Competition boat to a family cruiser. Now when I wakeboard it is either behind the Malibu or a SN 2001.

Of course the concerns for the SAN are the wake and the ballast etc. The V-Drive not only makes for a better wake but also provides an openness to the boat you don't get from the direct drives.

As far as a family boat that is what my Dad's boat is for. We may actually end up trading his in and keeping the Martinique for the family while getting a competition style boat for the wakeboard enthusiasts.

Sorry for the long post. I guess the summation is that I will have the competion / board sports boat and my Dad will have the family friendly boat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 4:51pm
Moj,

I just saw an SV211 on CL. This may be adequate for my needs, maybe I am not all that familiar with the differences between the SAN and SV?

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 6:28pm
Rob, here are two that Matt has at Race City Marine down here in NC that might be of interest as they're along the lines of which you're looking.

236 for sale

211 for sale

Oh, and I forgot to add to Eric, JMurph and a few others: Quit trying to kill all the new boat sales However, I do understand completely as certainly I've traditionally been a used boat guy. But maybe a compromise of sorts for Rob might be the all-new 200 Sport. It's a V-drive, open bow with lots of room for the family, can pull wake boarders and surfers AND slalom like nobody's business, and can be bought for $70K NEW. And did I mention it handles like a sports car.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 7:13pm
Robert,
Ok now we're getting somewhere... If it's a "dedicated", "wakeboard", Surf/skate" boat you're looking for, then the SAN is top of the line.. Forget that Malibu talk.. How can you park that thing next to the Martinique???

If you want a better "all in one" boat, that will still give you a great, surfable wake, and yet is more comfortable and seemingly bigger size (eventhough it's I believe it's only wider and taller), then the 211 is a great alternative...

Tubing makes no difference, but if you want to also slalom at some point, the SAN is butal....

The 211 that Reid is showing is perfect IMO.. I think Race City will even deliver it to Green Lake for Free
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

crobi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 7:48pm
Wow, two days ago I was gonna apologize to you Robert for the newbie mistake of pulling your thread off topic by talking about babies and kids on board. Then your thread took off on that topic and lots of other interesting stuff too in addition to your main idea.

I discovered the 210 SAN/SSN hull in 2003 and have wanted it ever since. I have ridden behind a few different boats '02 VLX (4000#), '01 Malibu Sportster (4000# - talk about a wet boat!), old X-star (now 205v), Supra SSV and direct drives, '04 MB B52, and while they are all great for wakeboarding, everyone considered the SAN hull (1995-2006) to be the best wakeboarding hull. I've never had any experience with the new X-star hull so I don't know about it.

Anyway, we had a '77 SEA RAY 21' that I had bought for $150 and salvaged it from death. We rode behind that thing for 10 YEARS until I finally nailed a 2000 SAN right before Christmas this year. It took me that long to save for it, but I wasn't about the get anything else just to get in a better boat. (People would probably be amazed at how good of a wake you can get out of some sterndrives if you try hard enough LOL).

Anyway, compared to the SEARAY, the SAN is more of a "wet" boat. Running 2500# of ballast and three people in the front it's near impossible to keep the bow dry when a similarly loaded wakeboat goes by and you're not on plane.

So I just searched for a Super Sport or Super Air hull from 1995 - 2006 that I could afford and got lucky to find this one. I was thrilled to find out how much torque that GT40 produces!

I am also interested to hear what someone knowledgeable has to say about the '05 SV211 vs old 210 vs new 210 hulls.
drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 8:07pm
Rob,
Hang in there. If you have the time and patience to wait, you can find great deals out there. I was look for a couple seasons before we could find one in our price range. I searched craigslist for about a 500 mile range of where i live. Finally last fall we pulled the trigger, we got our 05 210 for 28k or 29k can't remember. Granted there were a few bugs to work out, heater, shower, stereo issues but those were minor fixes and to be honest I never use heaters or showers in boats anyways. Also, spring is not the best time to be looking for deals as a buyer.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by drtybrdy9 drtybrdy9 wrote:

Rob,
Hang in there. If you have the time and patience to wait, you can find great deals out there. I was look for a couple seasons before we could find one in our price range. I searched craigslist for about a 500 mile range of where i live. Finally last fall we pulled the trigger, we got our 05 210 for 28k or 29k can't remember. Granted there were a few bugs to work out, heater, shower, stereo issues but those were minor fixes and to be honest I never use heaters or showers in boats anyways. Also, spring is not the best time to be looking for deals as a buyer.

Mason, nice machine.. and I second your opinion about shopping in the Spring,,, well unless cash is no object ha..

Are you going to bring that nice rig to Green Lake this July???

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Are you going to bring that nice rig to Green Lake this July???

Moj'

LOL!!! Moj, you are shameless - I love it. If I ever have my own company you are going to be my first call to head up my marketing department.. I am with you though man, everyone should try to attend GL!
drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 8:39pm
What are the dates? I probably won't be making it, this summer is going to crazy for me, I'm 27 and I swear everyone i know is getting married. Half my weekends are weddings and the other half are people who are going to be pissed at me for choosing the lake over their weddings. So be it!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

And did I mention it handles like a sports car.

Reid, you of all people should know......if it's a Correct Craft; they ALL handle like a sports car.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

And did I mention it handles like a sports car.

Reid, you of all people should know......if it's a Correct Craft; they ALL handle like a sports car.

Thanks Tim, and I'm sorry as you're 100% correct. What I meant to say was that it handles just like a new 2012 Boss 302 Mustang! It's on rails! If you could just get that new 444 HP 5.0 in a little Nautique.......
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Nautique Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2011 at 12:36am
Gotta agree with the SAN or SSN is a great family boat. We love the openness of the boat, all the extra storage. It was a big upgrade over my old 2001 hull. We had 11 people on my Super Sport yesterday! 4 of which were kids, but we all still had a lot of room.

As far as wakes go, wakeboarding wake is incredible, the slalom wake makes the 2001 hull seem great and it is even a little steep. Tubing (i know) we tried it out for the first time yesterday and everyone in the boat had a blast watching the crashes. I had no idea what I was missing as a wakeboard/all around family boat until we bought the Super Sport, we love it!
1997 Nautique Super Sport

1989 Ski Nautique 2001 (Sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic