NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A rough 1993 Ski

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A rough 1993 Ski
    Posted: April-03-2011 at 11:55am
Greetings all,

I've been quietly looking for a Ski Nautique to restore and ski. I recently discovered a boat that really needs a lot of help. It is a 1993 Ski Nautique that is basically gutted. No engine, no transmission. It has the seats, dashboard (no way to verify anything works, of course), shaft, prop and rudder. I looks like it has been sitting outside for quite some time (floor littered with long-dead leaves, etc).

It would need new carpet, upholstery, and of course, something to spin that prop. The carpet and upholstery do not scare me, but where do I go to get an engine and transmission? Also, are there factory service manuals available? I've done a lot of work on old cars before, but this would be my first adventure into restoring boats.

ANY help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Kevin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 12:05pm
I did see a complete drop in pcm 351 closed cooling with a transmission 1.23 on the ass, on e-bay, the buy now was 3k..remeber it had all the ornaments hanging on it ie: rwp, alt, brackets   the stuff that adds up
"the things you own will start to own you"
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 2:32pm
Good news is that it is a 93 with composite non wood stringers.

So you don't need to get into that fun.

Keep an eye out for salvaged boats to cannibalize for a good running drivetrain. They are out there.   Otherwise, and I'm sure a few will be shocked, but you can buy a repower GM motor for it.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
skyway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 3:42pm

Here's a complete-to-bellhousing PCM 351 out of a 93 for $2100

The buy it now is $2600 but this guy has had it for sale and relisted it about 10 times that I've seen, so $2100 should take it.

I've already tried to bring him down from $2100, but maybe you'd have better luck now that it's 2 months later. He said he could part it out for more than what the starting bid is, so he wouldn't budge.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 9:48pm
OK. I wondered about finding a boat that I could steal parts from. That's a good idea. All I need is a boat with a bad hull. That complete engine is the other corner of the country. It would probably be another two grand to ship it! Still, the idea that those are out there to be had is encouraging as I consider taking on this project.

I hope to go have a look at the boat in person later this week. I'll take a checklist, although with no moving parts I'll mainly be interested in seeing that the hull is in good shape.

Thanks! Any other hints/ideas is appreciated.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 1:58am
Even if that motor were in CA and you were in Maine it wouldn't cost anywhere near that to ship it.

I bet normal freight would have that to you for well under 500. Heck, I have gear motors shipped from Germany via air freight for 500. Granted most gear motors I buy are about a 5th of that size, but when crated up probably only 3 gearmotors would take the same space as a crated v8.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 9:36am
are there trees in the forrest? i wouldnt care if it had a rod thru the side, the aggrivation factor of tracking down harnesses, pumps brackets is worth 3k
"the things you own will start to own you"
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 2:32pm
Eric - good point...
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 4:51pm
Kevin,
   I have been toying with this boat as well.... the fact that there is no trailer and nothing to start with in the engine compartment, or the interior makes it pretty rough in the numbers.... If you dont have connections for parts, or a salvage parts boat, I think it would be pretty hard to bring this boat back up to any kind of standard for what you can get a decent used one for.    Pacific Nautiques would be worth looking into, they have some used boats in our area that appeared pretty nice.   last week a 95 on a tandem trailer went for 10k....   I think that is realistically where the project boat will end up in costs by the time you are done with it.

Best of luck!   
Wayne Cammidge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Cammidge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 8:20am
What about putting a modern engine in it, then you could go the Zero off route. Hear that there is some sort of option or route that you can go, heard a top level skier did that to one of his old boats. There is a warranty re-use program that some one is doing, makes it a bit more affordable. Would love to do this to my 92 Nautique to get the Zero off on that classic boat
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 3:44pm
Dreaming - You hit the nail on the head. I seriously wonder about what else is missing from that boat. It is a shell, and that's about it. The lack of a trailer is a big concern for me too. I have been talking with the guy selling it and this was his parts boat to get another boat moving. It is scary enough to give me a lot of pause. I need to head down to Pacific Nautiques and check out other options. They have an ugly-colored boat down there with a cracked block. I could ship up that engine from Florida...
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 4:05pm
... the purple boat? don't say ugly too loud, Marty Mabe has one of those IMO, 6900 is too much for the boat, while clean, and looks to be well taken care of, it is a consignment boat that the owner won't budge on. worth checking out if you could get a motor for 2600, but a lot of work for the 3-400 that you would save on the swap.   do check out PN, they are nice guys, and pretty honest about what something is worth.   BTW, the seller of the blue boat offered me a trailer yesterday, he said one of the cross members was bent?   and wanted 1k for it.   Honestly, I think the package is worth about 1500 trailer and hull included.   then you would have some room for working out the kinks.

Here is where I was at on the blue boat -

hull and trailer - 1500
interior (cheap!)- 1500
Motor             - 3000
trailer repair    - 500
skeg and prop     - 500
transmission      - 1500?
Misc Gel rework   - 500
misc gotcha's     - 500

total -    $9500?

add your time and you end up with a 2500 hr hull for 9500, and you'll have spent 400 hrs putting it together.   the only advantage here is that you could stage the build over time.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 4:16pm
At the end of the day, the only real reason to restore something that starts out like the boat you are looking at is for the love of actually doing the restoration. You have to have the skills to do it yourself or the ability to source parts for free or on the cheap. IMO it is simply not worth it if you are doing this to save money. Trust me, it will cost you WAY more in the end and you'll have lost a ton of your valuable time that you could have spent actually enjoying the boat if you just bucked up to begin with and bought something that was a good driver. Not trying to bust your bubble but I speak from experience. It's kind of like going to Vegas. Sure, there's a few stories out there of the guys who won big, but how many people do you actually know that have gone there and come back with suitcases full of money?
Now, If you're interested in learning and the challenge that comes along with building something from almost scratch and being able to say "Yeah, I built that", then it is a great starting point.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 4:49pm
BH - I am starting to realize that you are probably right....   for 20 yrs I have wanted one of these boats, but getting a house and starting a family were more of a priority.... now it's hard to pony up the 10k to get what I want.... Back to saving for a little while longer and I be there, just tempting to buy now and have it in the garage.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 10:01pm
Wayne, I wouldn't consider a 92/ 93 a classic.

I barely consider my 78 a classic, although if using car terms it is a classic.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

I barely consider my 78 a classic, although if using car terms it is a classic.

Tom,
Your 78 isn't but it's getting closer every year!!

Historic: A boat built up to and including 1918.
Antique: A boat built between 1919 and 1942 inclusive.
Classic: A boat build between 1943 ans 1975 inclusive.

Hang onto it and soon......!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 1:02am
Sorry, "ugly" wasn't the right word... "An interesting choice of color". :) I'm in the same boat, Dreaming (pun intended). Would like to find something on a screaming deal, but want to go out and use the boat too. I agree with you that $3K for that hull and a damaged trailer is about 2x too much. Too bad you live in Tacoma. If you lived up north we could help each other work on our respective boat projects! I like working on things and fixing them, and have a good hand at doing so, but this may be a LONG project. Still saving $ for a Nautique too... If I could get that hull for 1 grand or so and have that guy plop it next to my house I could start cranking away on it. Any more than that would be hard to justify in current condition. I sure needs a lot of help. I assume you were emailed the same pictures? I wonder if he is lurking on here reading what you and I post.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 1:04am
...third to last sentence... "IT" sure needs a lot of help. :)
Wayne Cammidge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Cammidge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 6:17am
I say classic because most people I talk to about my boat say it has some of the best wakes that have ever been made. You need to spend a hell of lot more money to come up with anything close. The new Malibu and 200 are great boats to ski behind, but I cannot afford them. Almost got to ski behind the new Mastercraft on Monday, but the weather was against us.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

It sure needs a lot of help. I assume you were emailed the same pictures? I wonder if he is lurking on here reading what you and I post.

I totally agree :), yes, I was emailed some pics too.      I think there is some value in the hull as a receiver for a rotted 90 - 92 interior, trans and motor.... or if you could pick up a crushed salvage boat for all the parts, it could be worth while.   I too feel that while I am handy and not opposed to the length of the project, it just doesn't make sense unless you could get the whole deal for a song.

BTW once you post, you can use the post options drop down, and "Edit Post" to fix anything you find :)

TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 10:36pm
Kris,

The advantage to a boat like this is of course you get to stage out the expense over time. It's a lot easier to justify $1500 to the wife vs 10K. I'm in about the same position myself. But here is another upside to restoration.

I've been restoring an 85 Mastercraft S&S for the same thing. To ski behind. The motor was frozen up, and the tranny needed rebuilding. so I got online and found an I/O 351 that ran for $450. Sold the trailer to my brother for $200 but probably could have gotten 400. Hey it's my brother you know? Pulled the 351 out which ran and swapped the parts to fit my boat. Now I will sell the extra heads, extra manifolds, extra carb, outdrive, bell housing and windshields from that hull. Should net another $2K for my project. Now that's the fun of it. When it's all said and done, I will be out of pocket about $2K for my MC. In the end it will be worth 3 to 4 times that easily.

However! Eric does make a very good point. The harnesses and so forth can be a real pain in the rear. I haven't seen any pics of this boat you're looking at. Just what does it have in it? Gauges can be very costly as well. Those Airguides ain't cheap. From the sound of it, you could probably get this boat for a grand or less. Hell, I'd do it. But I'm from the south, we ain't always right in the head.

Jeff
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 3:43pm
Thanks TX.... perspective is always good :)

Kevin,    Someone here may want to look at this deal as a parts boat, but I don't think they would steal in on your deal if you're still in negotiation.    I am going to attempt to post pics, but will wait for you to post seller info if you've decided you're out.   
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 3:46pm

we'll see how my first pic attempt works...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 4:02pm
Personally, I would bite on that boat for $1k IF it had a trailer. Maybe go a little more. Without a trailer Id be looking to spend less- that alone might cost you $1k or more. Of course, I love working on these boats as much as I like skiing behind them. By the time I was done, I could probably break even on the boat- not including my time, of course. Its no money maker though- you might be astounded to find out how much time, effort and money it takes to take a non-functional boat and make it water worthy. Its also worth pointing out that I also have plenty of functional boats at the ready, so a new project will never keep me off the water. Slaving away on the boat in the middle of a hot spell when you'd rather be at the lake can be extremely disheartening.

If your goal is to get on the lake for cheap, and dont know FOR SURE how much you will like working on the boat, then I would echo those above who are telling you to save your money and buy the nicest functional boat that you can afford. Being able to go boating right away is huge, both for your own ego, as well as convincing the family that this whole boating thing is a good idea. Being a slave to the garage without any immediate benefits will quickly turn the boat into an object of hate in the eyes of many around you. Many people also find that they do not have the time or skills to see a project to completion, and give up part way through.

Just make sure youre ready to dive in, and dont be fooled by the low entry price! You will most likely spend every bit as much bringing that boat up to snuff as you could buy a decent running example for. But if you like to tinker, I cant think of anything more fun and rewarding to work on. Just make sure you know what youre getting into before making your decision!
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 4:46pm
more pictures - sized correctly (?) this time    
- Tim,   I hear you, and feel your experience leads you to a good diagnosis.    This is not the boat for me as my wife is not a HUGE fan of being a garage widow.... she'll deal if I can make money or save money while I am out there, but the kids don't get it yet, and my time with them is pretty important to me right now too.....   

TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 4:54pm
TR, that was well said. For a couple of grand it's easy to find an older complete boat that just needs a slight bit of attention to get on the water with. Keep it for awhile, improve it a little, sell it and step up. That boat is months from ready unless you have the cash on hand to get moving. And if you've got that kind of cash, why not just get a more complete boat? Without a trailer, it's a no brainer to take a pass for anything over a grand. Just not enough there for the hassle. At least that's my two cents worth.

After seeing it, I can assure you that for everything you can see initially, there are two more you don't see. Lot's of little items kick in that add up in time and money. Things like, bilge pumps, blowers, blower hose, bad toggle switches (marine toggles ain't cheap),gauges to possibly replace or rework. Looks like the exhaust hose may have seen better days. That stuff is $15-$20 per foot easy. Fuel sending units, fuel hoses...the list goes on and you can pretty much figure if it says marine the cost goes up.

If you haven't done it before, start with a smaller project. At the same time, I don't think anyone here would blame you for piling in head first. To have the innate desire to throw your money into a hole in the water is prerequisite to membership on CCF isn't it?
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 5:36pm
Edit: I guess you were adding pics as I was posting. A lot more of this boat is there than I originally thought. This would probably just be a motor and tranny drop plus a trailer. Looks like enough of the interior is in good enough shape to just get you on the water. But you're going to be 5 or 6 grand deep. If you get a boat ready engine, the tranny and engine can be installed in a weekend. Sorry, I thought this thing was really gutted at first. If you have 5 or 6 grand and not 10, I'd jump this deal. Find an engine and tranny and make the drop. But I'm just going by photos too. I'd make sure of things like the steering being frozen or throttle cables being frozen. Are there any significant dings in the hull? I'm also going off my own mechanical capabilities and my own propensity to completely jump in over my head. Perhaps that is why I am divorced?

If there is anyone in your area willing to look at it and make an assessment, might be a good idea.

So this is my take
Hull            $1500
Trailer        $ 500
Engine and
tranny          $3000
Misc.           $ 500
Interior        $1500
Gel work        $ 500

Total        $7500 to 8000
prob...5500 to get on the water.

BTW...the 1.23:1 tranny Eric posted about and the 351 are correct to this boat. And he's right...that's a steal for all of that already there.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 6:15pm
looks like a gold mine to me!! Get it and quit kicking the tires!!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 6:36pm
Now THAT would be the boat for a 454 transplant
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Now THAT would be the boat for a 454 transplant

Sadly, the tabs on the cradle would not match up. And the motorbox wouldnt fit over the big block.

One more word of caution. If you are planning to replace the interior on one of these, that alone can be a huge expense. A set of factory correct skins will set you back $2500, and that doesnt include foam or installation. Not to mention the missing observer and rear seats, which would have to be custom made. That alone might be a deal breaker if you hope to use the boat for anything but a bare bones slalom course boat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic