NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A rough 1993 Ski

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2011 at 11:09pm
In the parts for sale section there is some fins for sale
some one will come up with a trailer.
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 4:38pm
Fin is easy. A trailer would sure help so I can move it around to put the engine / tranny in and such...

Just curious... where do you guys go for help? It doesn't appear that there is a FSM for these boats. How do I know, or where do I learn, to hook everything up correctly? I'm more mechanically inclined than average (do all my own maintenance on my cars except for the really nasty stuff like rebuilding a transmission), but since I don't have a complete boat sitting next to this one and I didn't take this one apart I'd have to sort-of figure it out by trial-and-error. Maybe I should put an ad in the local paper, "Do you have a 1993 Ski Nautique? I would pay you to let me come look at it." LOL...
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 5:06pm
You can find 93s for 7 or 8K in California in ok shape and running condition, with a tandem trailer. I wouldn't touch that boat. Just my opinion. BKH
Livin' the Dream

dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 5:17pm
This is why the CC fan family is here - to help
you would be surprised how easy these boats are , there are people here that know their way around engines like no bodies business.
Most of us have learned from the school of hard knox and because a lot of us have already gone through it we can offer our input and experience

Mine is an 89
I would bet that there is someone near you with a 93
Do you have any boat salvage yards near you ?
May be some one can lend you their trailer to move it ?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

You can find 93s for 7 or 8K in California in ok shape and running condition, with a tandem trailer. I wouldn't touch that boat. Just my opinion. BKH

There are tons of boats out there water ready you have to decide
what s best for you
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 3:47am
If only I lived in California... but point taken.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2011 at 7:05pm
[QUOTE=KRoundy] Dreaming - you and I need to meet up some time. I live up in Lake Stevens, but work down in Tukwila (I know - the commute sucks). Maybe we could do lunch and talk about our boat dreams.QUOTE]
Kevin, I must have missed this some how......   Any update on the boat?    send me your contact info - we can maybe do a Southcenter run sometime this summer....   I work in White Center, so not too far.

Kris
echobravoecho View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echobravoecho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2011 at 9:53pm
I've been restoring a 93 ski since January. Here's some real life time and recent prices for your consideration.

1993 SN, 900 hrs. with trailer delivered to my garage - 5K, 0 hrs.

Restored teak swim platform - $20.00 oil and cleaner, 4 hours time. (this was the most fun so far)

Replaced ratty interior, including backing boards and foam, 2.7K, 10 hrs my time, 2.5 months for custom upholstery, including custom embroidery. That's my time deciding the details, getting the logo's sewn up and getting the upholstery guy to rebuild most of the wood seat backs. I skipped the side panels as I have kids and they will destroy anythings that's not make of titanium. The panels looked a little too delicate for my taste.

Rebuilt carb, renewed plug wires, belts, hoses, plugs, impeller, fluids, modernized fuel filter, refurbed water filter, $400, reused most of the big hoses, all of the hose clamps, painted and cleaned engine, 15 hrs. Engine ran fine before I got it, and ran fine on starting fluid, but had sat long enough to destroy the carb and tiny parts therein.

Pulled fuel tank, rinsed bad fuel, cleaned, reinstalled $ 0, 5 hrs.

Replaced rusted steering cable, along with helm, with the 20ft. cable and the associated helm, $280.00 parts, 5 hrs labor. Drill and tap frozen steering wheel bolts, reburbish tilt mechanism, $30 parts (tap set, paint) 5 hrs. This was unexpected expense, also the 19.5ft. steering cable takes a different helm than does the cheaper 20ft. cable. 19.5 cable cost more than the 20ft. cable plus the new helm.

New battery, $160.

Carpet was ok, didn't change, cleaned only, 5 hrs.

Refurb radio and dash, 5 hours. $ 10.00 for paint and polish. $75 for new tach. $100 for speakers and sub. Electronics is my thing, so I got off easy here. All the needle indicators on the dash gauges have faded to white. Looking for inexpensive solution.

Remove old stickers on exterior, 5 hours time, $50 parts for a big rubber wheel that chucks into your drill. Works the best, aircraft spruce and speciality. Kinda fun to spin the wheel and zip off the stickers. $250 in replacement stickers, and I didn't replace the large ones on the sides. Job not completed yet.

Cleaning brightwork. Used wire wheel grinder to freshen fins and rudder, dremel tool and fiber brush for chrome and painted aluminum, $20 parts and 10 hours cleaning.

Gelcoat was hazy. After scrubbing the rough haze off, the gelcoat had what looks like cloudy water marks. Buff and clean gelcoat, 40 hours. Not including 40 hrs spent surfing for best gelcoat solution. Purchased hundreds of dollars of gelcoat restoration products, but have found that regular automotived rubbing compound $4 , followed by polishing compound, $4, followed by glazing compound works easiest. I'm using a harbor freight buffer and my son for most of this work. Top deck has spider cracks all over. Decided not to fix it this season, don't know how.

Boat is about ready for first water test. It will look sharp on the water but it is far from immaculate. Too much corrosion to fix in time for the season. Will use it to teach my kids to ski this summer. I did this for the relaxation from work so I don't count my time, but if I did, would be way upside down on price.

Plus I bought about 300 in new tools....never a bad thing.

What did that add up to so far? A little over 9K? 9K in the southeast will buy you a newer and better boat with less hours than this one.

If you don't buy that boat, I would be interested in the dash panels, they look brighter than mine and I can't find a source anywhere...

Regards,
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2011 at 12:06am
I think I'm a trailer away from buying the '93. I keep hoping that one will pop up on here. I've been emailing the guy off and on. He travels, I travel... and it goes back and forth like that.

So, anybody have a trailer I can borrow up here in the Seattle-area?

echobravoecho - That is a GREAT write up. I appreciate that. I might be contacting you soon for more info, pictures of how things are connected or lined up. :)

Dreaming - I will send you a message here in a few minutes.

Kevin
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2011 at 3:36pm
Kevin - The 93 guy told me he would deliver....   might keep the pressure off for finding the right trailer. your could probably build or buy some rolling carts similar to the ones seen in Alan's huricane thread.   Might be better for the time it's in your garage anyway as they are probably more manuverable and shorter? than a trailer. I don't think PM's work on this site.... Look in my profile for my name.

first.last@macmiller.com

Dreaming
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 2:58am
Yeah - I figured that out! Thanks.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2011 at 1:53am
UPDATE:

Well guys, I'm the owner of a 1993 Ski Nautique. I guess that means I'm officially in the club? This exact day has been a dream of mine since I was in high school and was the craziest water ski fanatic anybody knew. It's rough, and I'll need some help from you all. I'll take some pictures and post updates of the progress as I go along.

I'll tell you this, it sure looks awesome sitting out in front of my house. Of course you can't tell that I don't own the trailer and that it has no engine! He he....

Anybody have a set of fins that will go on a '93 they want to sell me?

Kevin
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2011 at 1:59am
congrats kevin,gotta love that feeling of bringing home a new toy
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2011 at 2:50am
Thanks!

First question - There is a trailer for sale relatively close to where I live that was originally a 1983. Would that fit my 1993 boat? I think the 1993's are longer. What trailers would work with my boat?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2011 at 10:58am
A 93 is wider than a 83, but not significantly longer. I think the '83 trailer will work if you revise the guide poles to make them wider (not a big project). Maybe the seller would let you load your boat on at the ramp to check fitup.

Congratulations on your purchase, it will serve you well.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2011 at 8:43pm
Thanks! Woke up, went straight to the window to look out in my street. It wasn't a dream. :)

Next project - into the garage for a good drying and then inventory of what needs to be done, what can be done later, and what would be nice someday down the road. A little over 2000 hours on the hull. It is an ex-ski-school boat. Glass all looks great. Gelcoat might be the first item to tackle. Or the carpet. Gauges have seen a lot of sunlight...

I love it all!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 12:35am
i have my 86' on my 05'trailer while doing some repairs.the older trailers are definitly 6-8 inchs shorter
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 1:23am
Kevin, welcome to the family
More pics! Also keep me in mind on some Dash Plaques for your boat as well as a few decals for it! Send me some pics to my e-mail. mtmabe@northstate.net
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 1:37am
I've only taken two pictures with my phone so far. I will get it in the dry garage here and then document everything.

Marty, here's a noobie question - what are Dash Plaques? Are you looking for me to send you pictures of my dash?

Here is a photo of my blue 1993 Ski in the rain about 30 minutes after I purchased it:

A picture of it during a sun break today from the other side:

Kevin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 1:48am
i missed something here,thats not the same boat as page 1 is it?trashed ski school boat?if it is it looks better already
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 5:47am
The seller told me he would clean it before he delivered it, and he really tore into it. I told him I was impressed with his cleaning skills. He even took off the ski-school decals. When he dropped it off he spent 1/2 hour telling me about the boat, where to go for gel repair stuff around here, we talked engines for a while... He seemed a stand-up guy and I got it for a lot less than he was asking.

And as long as you are looking back through these posts: Yes, it still has all the gas in it. I gotta figure out where I'm going to put all that old gas... I need to buy a gas cap key. Maybe I'll have one freakin' awesome bonfire on Memorial Day! :)
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 10:38am
Congrats man! Boat looks great and should be an awesome project.

Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

And as long as you are looking back through these posts: Yes, it still has all the gas in it. I gotta figure out where I'm going to put all that old gas... I need to buy a gas cap key. Maybe I'll have one freakin' awesome bonfire on Memorial Day! :)

For the gas cap use a big screw driver if you dont have a gas cap key.

If you have an old electric fuel pump you can hook that up to a 12 volt battery outside the boat and pump the fuel out. Otherwise you could use a small sump pump id think?

Pump it into a clean 5 gallon spackle bucket. See just how crappy the fuel is. If its not watery/filled with garbage, throw it in your truck!
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 11:53am
To drain gas, I just use a hose with an outboard-type primer bulb to get the siphon started. Then be patient, takes about 10 minutes per 5 Gals.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 9:58pm
I need to get a line to siphon the gas out. I tried the one I had but realized that it is a good 4 feet or so short of what I need it to do. I think the local Auto Zone or Carquest should have what I need.
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 11:32pm
Congrats. I thought the same thing when I saw the picture in the street, same boat? No way. Looks like you have a good start after the clean up.

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2011 at 12:10am
I missed this thread. Nice boat Kev good score! Hope you get it all sorted out quickly. I restored a 1973 Skier last year and finished in time for a couple of months on the water before winter. It was a sacrifice in time and money for the family but has been worth every penny and hour in enjoyment.

Besides the boat and all that it is, you have stumbled into one of the coolest groups of people out there. These guys will get you through anything.

Cheers and welcome to the club!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2011 at 12:26am
E-mail me Kev-!!   mtmabe@northstate.net

You have 2 oval like indentions on your dash to the left and right of your steering wheel. I'm on my laptop--so I don't have pics on here. Go back and search performance engineered plaque or 2001 SN plaque.
But it'd be easier to E-Mail me!!!!!

Again-- Great pickup on the boat! Was that the 83 trailer under it??

Also was the glove box lid missing? I've got one!!!
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2011 at 1:52am
No, that is the sellers trailer (I think it is a '93 Ski trailer). It fits just barely into my garage. I wish it were mine.

I'll go take some pictures of my dash.

Yes - I need a glove box lid! Let's talk about that in the email too.
echobravoecho View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echobravoecho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2011 at 12:26pm
Kevin,

I just put my 93 SN project in the water yesterday for it's first run in about 4 years.Feel free to ask for anything you need as you work thru the problems.

Ed
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 11:04pm
Seller confirmed that my '93 originally had a 351 in it. Would this 460 drop right in? I wonder about a big block fitting under the engine box.

1994 Ski Nautique Big Block?

Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic