Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Leak
    Posted: April-11-2011 at 9:06am
Hi,

I had to replace my driveshaft on a 1989 Ski Nautique. A workshop removed the old shaft (single taper), and since then, I see there is a oil leak near the flange on the transmission (1.23:1 transmission). I haven't used the boat yet - I am busy installing the new shaft.

I think the original coupling was difficult to remove from the shaft - they used a spacer between the shaft and transmisison flange, and bolts between the to couplings, and torqued the bolts, and tapped with a hammer to remove - took along time!

I wonder if the transmission flange oil seal is dislodged by the hammering? Is this possible?

Any ideas? Should I try run the boat, and check if the leak goes away? Or just replace the seal anyway? I hope they didn't damage anything else :(

Thanks,
Greg
1989 Ski Nautique (SN2001)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 9:29am
Greg,
The "tapping" with a hammer will not dislodge a seal. Most likely it was bad before that. Are you sure it's the seal and not the trans bearing retainer gasket? Ether way, now's a good time to replace both. You should also check the condition of the trans output bearing. Do you know how good the alignment was before they pulled the shaft?

BTW, The heat shrink/press fit is normal on the shaft to coupling. They are not fun to remove most of the time. The spacer and long bolt "trick" is normal.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 9:39am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg,
The "tapping" with a hammer will not dislodge a seal. Most likely it was bad before that. Are you sure it's the seal and not the trans bearing retainer gasket? Ether way, now's a good time to replace both. You should also check the condition of the trans output bearing. Do you know how good the alignment was before they pulled the shaft?

BTW, The heat shrink/press fit is normal on the shaft to coupling. They are not fun to remove most of the time. The spacer and long bolt "trick" is normal.

Hi,

The were hitting pretty hard! I wasn't happy with how rough they were, but they have worked on many boats like mine.

I haven't checked exactly were the leak is - it is behind the flange - I'll check 100% later today.

Where is the "bearing retainer gasket"? Is it something I can replace without removing the transmission?

Also, does anyone know how I can remove the flange - won't it turn when I remove the nut?

Thanks for the help,
Greg
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 9:46am
if your going to attempt it in the boat, i would probably unbolt the reduction section and replace the seal on the bench, at times they "ping" the nut into a slot on the output shaft and its a MFer to get the nut off,. just dont use transmission leak in a can, it doesnt work. nothing will fall apart by removing the back end and there are jack screws to pull the back section off. its a 36mm socket to remove the nut
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 9:52am
Greg,
Now that you mentioned they were hitting the coupling half pretty hard, I suggest pressing the coupling half onto the new shaft and chucking the shaft up in a lathe. Take a real light cut on the coupling face so you know the face runs true with the shaft. Don't forget the shaft is a .000 to -.001 fit so the new shaft needs to be checked to the bore of the old coupling.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 9:55am
I'll do my good deed for the week, pull the back off and UPS it to me, i'll replace the seal and face the coupling, just pay the shipping
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 9:57am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I'll do my good deed for the week, pull the back off and UPS it to me, i'll replace the seal and face the coupling, just pay the shipping

Eric,
Greg's in South Africa!!!!!! You better offer that good deed for the week to someone else.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 10:09am
Eric - Thanks for the informaiton - as mentioned, I am in South Africa :) I'll see what I can do over here. I will try to find the exact location of the leak.

I am replacing the shaft and coupling (with a new ARE dual-taper shaft, from Elberts) - the old coupling was damaged during removal.

Do you think it is a bad idea to try give the boat a run first? I will make sure the fluid is topped up, and check regularly? If I need new seals, I will have to order them fist (from Skidim).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Greg_SA Greg_SA wrote:

Do you think it is a bad idea to try give the boat a run first? I will make sure the fluid is topped up, and check regularly? If I need new seals, I will have to order them fist (from Skidim).

Greg, You can run it as long as the leak isn't bad, you keep a eye on the fluid level and you don't mind some oil in the bilge.

Considering your location, do you need to go to Skidim for parts? You certainly should have a PCM distributor over there! If not, the bearing and seal are off the shelf power tranmission items. The gasket can be cut by hand!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 6:45am
Thanks for the reponse - I might give it a run and repair it a few weeks later. I'll keep a close eye on the leak though.

In general, inboard boat repairs and maintenence is very difficult in South Africa - very few places carry any parts. Most people use boats with outboard engines.

I have checked the leak location, and it seems to be between the flange and body (at the bottom). See the pictures below.

Any ideas what could be causing the leak? Would the gasket / oil seal kit on Skidim be all that I need? RK173058 ?
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK173058

Thanks,
Greg
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Greg_SA Greg_SA wrote:

very few places carry any parts. Most people use boats with outboard engines.

Any ideas what could be causing the leak? Would the gasket / oil seal kit on Skidim be all that I need? RK173058 ?
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK173058

Greg

Greg,
It's the seal but do check the trans output bearing condition.
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

the bearing and seal are off the shelf power tranmission items. The gasket can be cut by hand!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 8:55am
Thanks very much.

I will probably do this project after the season ends (if the leak is slow). Then I will check the bearing too.

I see that the nut is "pinged" in the shaft, so I will take Eric's advise, and remove the reduction part, and work on the bench.

Will the kit from Skidim include all the gaskets / seals that I need? I assume there is a gasket between the reduction part and the rest?

Thanks again,
Greg
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 8:59am
rust, contamination, probably is the culprit, Pete, Ive tried sourcing the seals with not much luck, oddball metric size. there is no gasket except for a o-ring on the seal flange and you would use silicone between housings, yes silicone, As you can see the 36mm nut is staked and you have to be careful to not knick the threads on removal, also if you notice you do need slicone under the nut washer because they do have a tendency to leak between the splines.
DIM is a good source for these parts, I tried sourcing this stuff direct from ZF, also with no luck.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 9:02am
Greg, if you look closely you will see "jack screw" holes on the reduction, use the bolts that hold the housing on to remove the housing, EVENLY, 10 bolts and its off, nothing will go flying....the housing contains 2 gears in whach the top gear will stay with the trans and the bottem gear will stay with the back housing
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 9:06am
Eric,
Besides ZF, where else have you been looking for the seals? BTW, even here in "inch" land, a metric seal is getting to be more common than a inch.

Do you have the seal #? I'll give my bearing house a call.

I'm OK with the silicone on this one - it's between two faces!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 9:08am
one thing I would like to mention is that you only need an 1/8" bead of silicone on the housing halves, unlike the hilljacks over here in the USA using 1/2" bead so it all squeezes out including into the inside of the trans clogging ports, Ive seen 20k in damage in the past because of it...(big powershift transmission)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 9:09am
I'll grab the number at work, cause PCM is getting all the money for the seal and gasket kits
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 9:11am
Pete, tried sourcing from Applied industrial, its been a few years though since ive checked
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 9:26am
Hi Eric / Pete,

Thanks very much for all the help. I have noted all your advice. I think I'll replace the shaft nut with a new one too - I'd rather damage the nut than the shaft during removal.

Maybe I can obtain the seal locally using the seal number? Are these things generic?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 9:56am
I'll grab the number today gary
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 11:39am
Excellent, thanks.

In the diagram below, to replace the seal (#102), do I need to remove the retainer (#104) as well?

Also, is there a trick to stop the shaft/flange turning when remove the nut? Grip the flange in a vice?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 6:55pm
YES....
STEFA CC45X62X8     7927-A    seal number
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 6:57pm
i grab gear and hit the nut with an air impact
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 10:58pm

YES....
STEFA CC45X62X8     7927-A    seal number

Eric,
I'll be on it first thing in the morning when I get to work. First thing I'll open up my seal book and then give Bearing Headquarters a call.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 6:42am
Excellent, thanks for the info. I will also try to source the seal locally.

So I assume I should also replace the o-ring (item #107) as well, if I must remove the retainer (item #104)?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 8:59am
Greg,
Chances are very high that the O ring can be reused. Also, as Eric mentioned, you can use some RTV on the flange as well.

Eric,
I'm going to call my bearing house this morning. My CR book does show 4 seals that match. The three variables are with "bore-tite" (the sealing compound on the OD), Viton or Nitrile rubber and then the lip type. The two lip types are basically single or double lipped. Do you remember if it's a single or double?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 9:46am
i believe its a single lip, and quite possible that it is Viton, no bore tite on the OD....let me make sure, because i would think it should be a double lip...the o-ring is static, so you can if not hard use it over...sorry that i called you Gary once, greg,
actually there are also shims on the bearing, no problem though, just keep them together
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 10:26am
No problem :) Thanks for all the advise.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 1:02pm
DOUBLE LIP
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 1:10pm

DOUBLE LIP

This turns out to be the problem. I talked with my bearing house and they are researching the double. A single is a off the shelf CR part #17754 for $4.00 each (not for resale - quantity 1) The double lips listed in the CR book are no longer made by them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic