Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer tires

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer tires
    Posted: April-11-2011 at 4:18pm
Any suggestions for trailer tires? I need to purchase a spare tire for the trailer and I would like some suggestions on which brands are recommended. Overton's sells Carlisle tire/wheel combo and loadstar tire/wheel combo. Anybody have any suggestions?

I do not care about tire price, because if I pay $100 more for something that is a quality product and I am happy with it, then it wasn't worth cheaping out and buying a tire that leaves me stranded.

Are goodyears good trailer tires?

95 Ski Nautique GT40
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 4:30pm
I have had very good luck with my Goodyear Marathons- Ive been to Wisconsin and back twice on one pair. Carlisles seem to have had some issues a few years ago (tread seperation) and then there were a few bad batches of Goodyears as well. Id say Goodyear is as close to a safe bet as youre going to find though. Greenballs also seem to have a good reputation, though theyre not as easy to find.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 5:10pm
I love the Carlile's. Had no issues with them at all. I got mine from Discount Tire in 06, and still no cracks are problems with them. I paid 75/tire with road hazards etc. Hope this helps..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

I love the Carlile's. Had no issues with them at all. I got mine from Discount Tire in 06, and still no cracks are problems with them. I paid 75/tire with road hazards etc. Hope this helps..

Love em eh? I've read that the carlisle's suck. That is interesting. I do a lot of trailering of my boat and I don't want a crappy tire. How much trailering do you do?

95 Ski Nautique GT40
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 5:51pm
On the Carlisles, I have read good things more recently about their "USA Trail" tire. Made in USA- might be better than their other tires (presumably made in China?).
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 8:18pm
+2 on the GY Marathons. Bought a set 3 years ago before my first 6 hour trip to and fro to the SJRR. Been to White Lake on another 6 hr trip to and fro. Numerous trips to the local lake and to Callaway Gardens. I took them in 3 weeks ago just before this years SJRR for a balance and the guy said "WOW ,these tires look great! Whatever it is your doing...keep it up!"

Very pleased with the ride and the tenure of these tires. I'd buy em again.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 9:14pm
I bought the loadstars last year. OK so far - but only have 200 miles on them.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 2:05am
Goodyear Marathons.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 2:45am
I don't use the trailer much since I live at the lake, we might do 1000 miles a year, mostly on trips out of town.   I do pull various trailers every day at work, everhing from single axel to tandem dual goose necks in excess of 20000 lbs. Trailer tires last about 4 years, doesn't seem to mater if they are used often or not. It also doesn't seem to mater what brand they are, I've had no better luck with Goodyears then I've had with Carslile. The best luck has probably been the Michelin's on my tandem dual, but they are load range E truck tires that went 6 or 7 years, at somewhere over $200 each those aren't really a boat trailer option.

If your just doing the regular trip to the local lake, I'd say wait till one goes and change them all, once one goes the rest follow quickly, I lost 3 in one trip last year. The good thing is they do give you a bit of warning if your paying attention, never had any go bad out of the blue. If you keep a close eye on them in the mirror, I've noticed that they seem to get a little wobbly looking before they go flat. Some times you can feel it, sometimes I just catch it in the mirror. If you got a set that's 4 years old, probably best to get them changed before you take a long trip, sucks to have to deal with it when you'd rather be somewhere else.

FWIW, I work for a company that has more trailers than vehicles, they choose what goes on things and will stick with things that work. Based on the fact that they seem to change trailer tire brands often, but have used the same Michelin's on the trucks for the past 10 years, I would have to say most trailer tires are about the same so lol for the best deal.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 2:48am
Tim by the way those 12" tires you set me up with worked out great,3350 trouble free miles!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 9:36am
Originally posted by panda panda wrote:

Overton's sells Carlisle tire/wheel combo

I do not care about tire price, because if I pay $100 more for something ?

Luke,
Have you been looking at tubes in the Overtons catalog and then their tires? It's the last place I'd go shopping for tires and wheels! (and no tubes ether!)

The shipping will kill you even though you are willing to pay more for something.

Take the wheels down to your local tire distributor - yes on the Goodyear Marathons.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 10:25am
Goodyear Marathons. Make sure you get the right load rating. I think I'm running Load Rating D on my single-axle.

I bought new Marathons for my S/A trailer in 2009. The old ones looked brand new and we tow heavily- several thousand miles a year. When I looked at the date on the old ones I realized they were over 9 years old! That's as good an endorsement for Marathons as it gets.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 12:33pm
the trailers are 6 lug 5.5" bolt pattern?

95 Ski Nautique GT40
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 12:42pm
Thank you for all the input guys! I just need a spare, and thats all, boat didn't come with one.

Forgot to mention took the boat out last weekend, and it was epic! It rode great!

95 Ski Nautique GT40
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 12:52pm
Northern Tool Wheel/Tire Combo

TRBenj pointed me in the direction of the above. It came pre-mounted on the rim. I wanted to have a spare for my brother to use; he was retrieving my boat from North Carolina to bring it to Boston.

It worked great and my "worked great" it warded off the flat tire gremlins.   He luckily never had to use it.

I think the tires currently mounted on the trailer are Loadstars as well, I'll have to double check. That made it from NC to Boston and from Boston to NH anyway.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 1:36pm

the trailers are 6 lug 5.5" bolt pattern?

If you have a period correct single axle Correct Craft/Ramlin trailer on your '95, then yes, that is the bolt pattern. The correct tire size is 225/75/15.

Gary, glad to hear those tires worked well. Did they warm up on the highway, or did they stay cool? Even my 13's run warm.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 1:41pm

Forgot to mention took the boat out last weekend, and it was epic! It rode great!

Where did you run it?

Have had the GY Marathons on a couple trailers without any problems. If you are not concerned about matching the wheel for your spare just get a cheap painted steel wheel and buy a spare tire cover, nobody will be the wiser.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Where did you run it?

Yes, where did you drop it in? Next time you're out, give us northern Illinois people a heads up. I don't want to miss checking out your new LED cup holders!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 4:51pm

Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Love em eh? I've read that the carlisle's suck. That is interesting. I do a lot of trailering of my boat and I don't want a crappy tire. How much trailering do you do?

I do on average 3 trips in a year.
1)To my service tech in Austin (160 miles round trip)
2)To my family renioun up on Cedar Creek Lake in East Tx (400 round trip)
3)To central tx to Lake Belton for family get toghter (120 roundtrip)

Then add about another 100 miles to and from the lake I go too. Maybe you go a bad set or something but they have done me right.

My brother n law has them too on his RV on a set of Carliles since 07 and he does double travling I do. He loves em too!
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Gary, glad to hear those tires worked well. Did they warm up on the highway, or did they stay cool? Even my 13's run warm.

Bearings never went over 95,tires never more than 114 Tim, and it was hot in South Florida
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic