Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TIME FOR A NEW SKI! : )

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
IntelSoftApps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TIME FOR A NEW SKI! : )
    Posted: April-12-2011 at 3:39am
Hello,

It is that time again for me. I need a new ski...very soon!

- Specs -

I am 5,5'

120 lbs.

I currently ski on a Connelly Concept 64

I have had it for 2 years now...

I ski in a course. I usually get 6 @ 15 off

-------

So does any one have any suggestions for a ski for me. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks! Hoping to start the 2011 season next week!
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 11:41am
There are a bunch of options out there. See if there is any place you can go and demo some skis.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 12:37pm
I'm pretty sure that's spam.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 2:18am
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's spam.

nop I don't think so...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 2:36am
Not to start anything or be rude...but this category in the forums is...

Ski, Ride and Foot Talk
Share photos, techniques, discuss equipment, etc.
                                                                     ^
                                    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ |
                                   |
                                   |
I consider a ski "equipment". I don't know what else it would be?
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 3:01am
Goin out on a limb and guessing its not spam, and I guess I'll just look like an Ahole for giving advice if it is.

Derek, you found the right place, but I think your username may have thrown some people off. We have a tendency to get some spam on these forums, and your handle doesn't really lend itself to boating or skiing. I personally don't have a lot of experience with buying skis, especially for someone of your age and build, if your profile info is accurate. Fortunately there are probably a lot of folks on this site with kids your age, so post a couple more times, we'll see that you're legit and I'm sure someone better suited to helping will jump in.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 3:32am
Hey,

My username is actually my co.

legitimately

I forgot my old account info over the winter so i created a new one asap.

I never have an intention to spam. As i said before my user name is actually a website and company. I hate spam just like everyone else!

And, yes my profile is accurate...Just need a new ski as soon as possible. I am just looking for advice since many of you are older and have been skiing for some time probably.

Anyways, Sorry for any problems that might have happened. I definitely did not mean it.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 10:23am
Contact Tadd at h20proshop.com. Not only will you get a great deal on your gear BUT they are as knowledgeable as it gets as far as recommending the correct ski for you. You won't regret the decision, and based on your current ski and skill level I'd say it's time for a change.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 10:46am
Finding the right ski and set up is key to progession. A couple of skis that seem to be able to to work in a wide range of ability levels are the HO A-1 and the Radar Strada. These are top level skis but seem to work well with longer line lengths and are skier friendly.
By your info you might want to think about a 64-65" ski.
Hopefully you have a current set of bindings, If not you might want to consider getting bindings that you can pop on and off demo skis, all the new skis have inserts and their ae a couple different plate hole patterns.
www.ski-it-again.com Used equipment.
Also H2oproshop talk to Tadd he can set you up!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 10:47am
Sorry for passing judgement! Glad you're not what I thought you were! Can't be too careful on the internets.    
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 11:21am
Look at ski it again.com if you don't mind a previously owned ski. Some people change skis every year or two so you may find a bargain.

Go to a mfg's web site. If you can ski 15 off I'm sure you know a couple brand names. See if the mfg charts out their skis according to ability. You might not be ready for top of the line but may be able to handle one a step or two down.

judging from your size and weight a 64", 65" sounds like the right size, but if your growing quick even a 66" might work.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 12:17pm
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I am going to try out a few skis from h2owatersports.com as well as our local shop.

One of the skis I was looking was the HO A-1...

Thanks again!
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 12:18pm
A new ski can be a pretty big investment. When I was down at ski paradise, I had the pleasure to demo several different skis. I skied back to back sets with my bindings, and it was unbelievable how different every ski was. I have settled on the Ho A1 with the Ho hardshell boots. I like it better than my previous Goode (although it was a bit shorter and a couple of years old). The A1 is predictable and stable for me. The ski is only part of the story. Boot position, and dialing in the fin (very small adjustments) make a huge difference.

If you are serious about skiing and dont want to keep swapping equipment hoping to fall into the "right" one, then I strongly encourage you to take a few days at a ski school where you can play, have a great time, and learn a lot.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 12:22pm
Derek, I noticed you are in Washington state. If you are near Seattle, you should check out Wiley's. I have dealt with them for many years, they are very nice, and typically have some blems available. Heck, they may even have some demos for you to try.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by IntelSoftApps IntelSoftApps wrote:

I currently ski on a Connelly Concept 64

I have had it for 2 years now...

I ski in a course. I usually get 6 @ 15 off

How fast? I'd say you have plenty of room to progress with the Concept.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

Derek, I noticed you are in Washington state. If you are near Seattle, you should check out Wiley's. I have dealt with them for many years, they are very nice, and typically have some blems available. Heck, they may even have some demos for you to try.

Ya.I'm near Seattle. We have a place on both sides of the state.

I am going to demo the HO A-1 this week.

Has any one heard anything good about the D3?

Pros, or cons
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 3:15pm
Not being any kind of authority on skis, I have a question for the folks contributing to this thread. This question comes up a lot...what is a good ski, or what ski should I get. Isnt it a hugely individual thing? Once you get over a certain price, I am guessing they are all good skis. Different shape, edges, rocker, flex....lots of variables I guess. It just comes down to what fits/suits you, no? So how can I recommend a ski to someone. I may like it, but it could be wrong for him. And although I applaud Derek for making it through the course at 15 off at age 15, I don't think at that stage he needs a $1200 or $800 ski. I'm not being critical of anyone's response here. In other words, the best ski may not be the beat ski. It just seems it would be hard to recommend a ski to someone. I can see the temptation. A billion years ago I bought one of the first HO Mach 1s. I thought it was amazing, like riding a rail. But that was just for me. Others may have preferred a Jobe, which I found very squirrely. My thinking is the only way to go is to try them out.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 3:19pm
From what I see...it appears that the others are simply stating which skis they have heard/given good reviews on and are actually pushing Derek to actually try some out.

He came here asking for what we thought. The guys on CCFAN are sure as heck going to give him that!   
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Not being any kind of authority on skis, I have a question for the folks contributing to this thread. This question comes up a lot...what is a good ski, or what ski should I get. Isnt it a hugely individual thing? Once you get over a certain price, I am guessing they are all good skis. Different shape, edges, rocker, flex....lots of variables I guess. It just comes down to what fits/suits you, no? So how can I recommend a ski to someone. I may like it, but it could be wrong for him. And although I applaud Derek for making it through the course at 15 off at age 15, I don't think at that stage he needs a $1200 or $800 ski. I'm not being critical of anyone's response here. In other words, the best ski may not be the beat ski. It just seems it would be hard to recommend a ski to someone. I can see the temptation. A billion years ago I bought one of the first HO Mach 1s. I thought it was amazing, like riding a rail. But that was just for me. Others may have preferred a Jobe, which I found very squirrely. My thinking is the only way to go is to try them out.

Exactly. I am not going to go buy a ski just because someone says they like it, but I defi will tale it into consideration and demo or try it put with my bindings.

All I am asking is what other people who usually have been skiing for sometime what ski they think is good.

And you are right, when you reach a certain price all of the skis are considered good. It is just wetter you like the feel/ride of the ski...
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 3:42pm
I've skied on a Goode with Reflex bindings for the past eight years. I like it a lot but agree with Larry. Keep in mind most of the skis now a days are highly tunable and can be adjusted to most any skiing style.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

1998 Super Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 3:56pm
That's what I've heard. Alot of the skis are almost highly tuneable to be the same
but, I need a new ski anyways.

I keep out growing all of my gear...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 3:59pm
That's what I've heard. Alot of the skis are almost highly tuneable to be the same
but, I need a new ski anyways.

I keep out growing all of my gear...
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

That is what I tried to suggest.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 4:18pm
Great comments Larry. Here is how I look at it, from a purely recreational skier. My skiing ability could probably be attributed to:

5% - Ski/binding setup
2% - Boat
3% - Water conditions
90% - Form

Your form is by far the most important thing. I say save the money on a new ski and buy gas for the boat, keep using the Concept, and work on your form. Or use the money to go to a ski school. I won't buy a new ski until mine breaks or I get done with a set and say with 100% certainty ..."Wow, my form was great, but that ski really is holding me back."
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 5:53pm
Folks around here that know me know that I am never in a big hurry to spend money. That goes hand in hand with my philosophy that I don't need equipment that's better than I am. I am about where Derek is. On a good day, when the planets are aligned just right, I can make it through the course 15 off about 28 mph, on a really good day maybe even a titch faster. So as long as that is where I am, I am sure my 25 year old OBrien competitor is fine. When I start struggling to get that extra ball at 34 mph and 22-28 off, then I might worry about a new ski. I do appreciate that having the right equipment helps and in fact, when the opportunity arises, I like to try more aggressive skis to see if they help me, but for now, I'm all set. It cracks me up when someone decides to take up a sport, water skiing is just an example, and they go out and buy that $1200 ski figuring it will make them a great skier. Like you said Craig, 90% form.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Great comments Larry. Here is how I look at it, from a purely recreational skier. My skiing ability could probably be attributed to:

5% - Ski/binding setup
2% - Boat
3% - Water conditions
90% - Form

Your form is by far the most important thing. I say save the money on a new ski and buy gas for the boat, keep using the Concept, and work on your form. Or use the money to go to a ski school. I won't buy a new ski until mine breaks or I get done with a set and say with 100% certainty ..."Wow, my form was great, but that ski really is holding me back."

Thats totally true!

I always try to work on my form to make it better. I actually ski with people out on the course who are very good at skiing. Many of them used to or still do tournaments.
So it is almost like a ski school for free. lol

But the whole reason i originally asked this is because i am growing...quite quickly!

And i probably will need a longer ski soon...

Does any one have recommendations or links to sites that i can look at as a reference for the binding setups/ fin/ placements?

Any links might be useful. I already know of a few...
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 11:37pm
To the "90% form" people- yes, technique is important and money spent on lessons or video lessons is very, very good money spent. I have a whole site dedicated to this.

However.

Ski technology has come up LEAPS AND BOUNDS over the past 10 years. It's like golf and drivers- once that Big Bertha came out in 1996 or so, everything changed. Everyone skiing on a stick over 5 years old owes it to themselves to try something newer. I'm skiing better than ever and I attribute 90% of that to my ski, a 2009 D3 CustomX that I purchased brand new in 09. When I come out of the ball, the ski finishes extremely hard and the potential for cross-course acceleration feels limitless. I'm not great at skiing the course but I can honestly say the ski made a big difference. Before that I had upgraded from my 02 CDX to a brand new Connelly F1X. A pro-level shortline ski (in 02) to a modern, somewhat wideride intermediate ski. Way faster, way more responsive. I took a set on my old CDX (last year?) with Hollywood who has permanently borrowed it and it felt like a 2X4.

As far as brands- you can't go wrong. Most everyone makes a top-level ski that is great. I hear great things about the A1, the A2, the Strada, and the Z7. What I personally like about D3 is ALL they make is top-level, handmade skis. Nothing else. I have to appreciate a company who takes a niche of a niche like that. The rules seem to be changing as far as top level ski being for a top level skier- I've heard from MANY sources that the Strada is great for everyone. Never tried it, though.

Even with stock settings, it's AMAZING how different skis from different mfgrs feels. I did a ski test in 07 with 3 intermediate skis and I could not believe how different they felt. Definitely try what you can and determine for yourself what will meet your needs.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 1:17am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

To the "90% form" people- yes, technique is important and money spent on lessons or video lessons is very, very good money spent. I have a whole site dedicated to this.

However.

Ski technology has come up LEAPS AND BOUNDS over the past 10 years. It's like golf and drivers- once that Big Bertha came out in 1996 or so, everything changed. Everyone skiing on a stick over 5 years old owes it to themselves to try something newer. I'm skiing better than ever and I attribute 90% of that to my ski, a 2009 D3 CustomX that I purchased brand new in 09. When I come out of the ball, the ski finishes extremely hard and the potential for cross-course acceleration feels limitless. I'm not great at skiing the course but I can honestly say the ski made a big difference. Before that I had upgraded from my 02 CDX to a brand new Connelly F1X. A pro-level shortline ski (in 02) to a modern, somewhat wideride intermediate ski. Way faster, way more responsive. I took a set on my old CDX (last year?) with Hollywood who has permanently borrowed it and it felt like a 2X4.

As far as brands- you can't go wrong. Most everyone makes a top-level ski that is great. I hear great things about the A1, the A2, the Strada, and the Z7. What I personally like about D3 is ALL they make is top-level, handmade skis. Nothing else. I have to appreciate a company who takes a niche of a niche like that. The rules seem to be changing as far as top level ski being for a top level skier- I've heard from MANY sources that the Strada is great for everyone. Never tried it, though.

Even with stock settings, it's AMAZING how different skis from different mfgrs feels. I did a ski test in 07 with 3 intermediate skis and I could not believe how different they felt. Definitely try what you can and determine for yourself what will meet your needs.

Thanks for the info! It really helps

I am going to demo a few skis and see what i like and feels best to me.

Has anyone heard any reviews or actually skied on the Connelly Prophecy 2009?
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 9:27am
Top of the line skis are great if your a top of the line skier. Too often people buy the product the pro uses only to be dissapointed in the performance. What works for Wade Cox or Andy Mapple may not better your ride. Skiing on a very aggressive ski is a treat if your a very aggressive skier. You might be happier with an intermediate ski even if it means buying one or two more before you break any records. Like mentioned above techniques and equipment have changed. If your technique is old school and your ski is the new high tech it may not help you. I'd work with a coach (more so than a store)who can see your ability and guide you towards a ski that will work for best for you.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 10:04am
I see your point Joel. But that Big Birtha didn't/won't correct my terrible slice
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic