Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1993 Flywheel and damper plate

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Brandons93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandons93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1993 Flywheel and damper plate
    Posted: April-12-2011 at 10:05pm
Tryin to order parts for my 93 ski nautique and not sure how to find what fly wheel or damper plate to buy any info would be appricated everything is pcm, 351 windsor ,and can i use a regular flywheel off another 351 engine that is not marine. this is my first nautique if u cant tell already, just tryin to get it runnin
Brandons93
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 10:51pm
Brandon,
What's wrong with your flywheel? If it's the ring gear, just go to the auto supply and get it. They will confirm the needed size with the number of teeth. You can cut the old one off and if you have a decent torch put the new one on. It's a heat shrink fit. A machine shop can do it as well.

The dampner is a PCM part. You can see if Eric has one or give Karen a call at My Correct Parts. There's a banner on the left side of most pages.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandons93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 10:58pm
i dont have a flywheel. i dont have the orignal motor ethier i have a 1969 351 windsor that im tryin to put back in the boat
Brandons93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandons93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 11:05pm
the orginal motor was in really bad shape and could not be saved i have some parts that i manage to save off the motor like intake ,carb, ditributor,raw water pump and some of the mounts
Brandons93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandons93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 11:30pm
is there any other way to know what size flywheel to get since i dnt have the orginal
Brandons93
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 9:23am
Brandon,
Take a look at this thread I used the search because I remembered the issue coming up before. I'd have to say the two sizes may be due to the different starter locations.

Wow, you are starting literally from "scratch"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 9:56am
do we need to back up a bit, and figure out rotation first?
i did see that PCM lowered the pricing on the damper plates for the PCM's, which are proprietary and only available from PCM, or Karen at CCP?
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandons93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 10:47am
During the time I was trying to save the orginal motor I did get it to turn over and standing at the front of the motor looking at the pulleys the crank turned in a clockwise rotation, and the Distributor off the orginal motor fits in the new motor too. I figured I was good with the rotation but please correct me if I'm wrong Thanks
Brandons93
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 11:18am
Brandon,
You have/had a standard LH (same as automotive) engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandons93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 11:49am
Whoo ok yall had me worried for a min
Brandons93
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 12:11pm
Brandon,
FYI: I'm sure Tim can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe with some exceptions that you should have the "power plus" reduction trans. The trans reverses the engine rotation so you run a RH prop.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 12:21pm
The Standard Nautique (base model) was offered in '93, which had the RH (reverse rotation) engine and the 1:1 PCM trans... but those are not extremely common. Most had the 1.23 paired to LH engines. There is no way to tell which motor you need without knowing for sure which transmission you have, though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandons93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 12:25pm
We're do I look on the trans to know what type it is. Or is there any dead give aways
Brandons93
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 12:26pm
The ID tag that tells you what model it is would be a good starting point. Or post a picture- we can ID it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandons93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 12:33pm
Ok I'll get on that this evening to make sure. And why I'm askin does anybody have any motor mounts lying around? I have the half that bolts to the floor of the boat but don't have the half that bolts to the engine block or the eyes
Brandons93
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 1:16pm
i had a set as of 1 week ago, someone got them on evil pay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandons93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 12:28am
ok sorry i didnt get this yesterday like i said i would but i got the info off the ID tag on trans. it says it is model P.C.M. 40 A   with ratio 1.23/.1 So does this mean im good with replacing the engine with this standard 351 engine rhat i have started with.
Brandons93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandons93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 1:01am
And if im good with this standard rotation engine can someone look on Go2marine.com and look at damper plate 1004-650-006 part# 99262 and tell me if this will work on my 1.23/1 pcm trans its the cheapest i found if it will work $61.35 just says needs slight trimming for ford applications
Brandons93
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 1:02am
Better hold off on the flywheel until you hear from Billy or JoeinNY about flywheel balance, early Fords are different than new ones.Ie internal vs external balance etc.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandons93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 1:13am
10 4 just let me knw I can use all the help I can get on this project and also my starter location is on the left side of the engine if your looking st the front at the pulleys if that helps any
Brandons93
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 8:29am
Brandon,
No on the dampner from go2. That one is for any engine but for a B/W Velvet. The splines are different. You need the PCM as both Eric and I mentioned.

You're good on the LH engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
brianmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 10:13pm
I just broke a screw off trying to install damper plate to flywheel. Attempts to drill out the screw were unsuccessful. Have two questions:
1. if I get a new flywheel for my engine ('89 Ford 351W) will it have the correct holes drilled for the indmar thrust plate?
2. if i take the flywheel to a machine shop to get the screw drilled and retapped to a larger size, will the weight of the larger screw throw off balance?
Thanks
1989 Ski Centurion Ford 351W HO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by brianmax brianmax wrote:

I just broke a screw off trying to install damper plate to flywheel. Attempts to drill out the screw were unsuccessful.
if i take the flywheel to a machine shop to get the screw drilled and retapped to a larger size, will the weight of the larger screw throw off balance?
Thanks

If the machine shop is a good one, they will be able to get it out. They will ether carbide drill and "easy out" the hardened bolt or EDM it out.

Stick with the same hardened shoulder bolts that were used originally.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
brianmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 2:24am
The machine shop got it out but the threads were barely there such that they stripped with only 10ft/lbs. Torque is supposed to be to 35.

So I took it back to them and had them tap it out from 5/16 to 3/8. I hope that the difference in the weight of a 3/8" bolt and a 5/16 bolt is negligible w/r to balance.
1989 Ski Centurion Ford 351W HO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 10:22am
they should of suggested doing the rest of the holes. but the weight difference should be un-noticeable
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic