Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel line

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel line
    Posted: April-20-2011 at 5:00pm
I have a quick question that nobody seems to be able to answer so im coming to you guys. I changed my carb and i was wondering if you can you regular 3/8 fuel line, instead of the metal tubing, to connect the fuel pump to the carb?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 5:06pm
John,
It will not meet USCG regs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 5:10pm
So i should use metal fuel line? do they sell them pre-bent for the 351 or is that all custom bending? I tried to use metal and got all the right tools but all i do is kink the tube.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 10:38pm
John,
Skidim does sell a prebent steel line but you may need to tweek it as well. You can also start with preflared brake line. The trick is getting the proper length. If you start with just the steel tubing (no copper) then you need the best bending and flaring tools you can find. I hope you didn't get one of those springs that is supposed to be a tubing bender! They don't even work on full soft copper! The flaring can be a real PITA. it takes quite a lot of practice to make a good flare on steel even with the best tool. Do not use compression fittings.

BTW, who have you been asking? You said no one seems to know the answer. It's come up here quite a few times and discussed at length.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 11:10pm
Pete, Isn't there flexable fuel line sold as well that is coast guard approved?

I made a fuel line last year out of steel brake line. It took me 4 tries to get one that was good enough, although it still could have been better. It works well no leaks. NAPA's got everything you need to make one.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 11:50pm
Why, you can buy a new PCM oem replacement from CCParts for 25.00, why even try.............I dont.......
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Why, you can buy a new PCM oem replacement from CCParts for 25.00, why even try.............I dont.......

+1 however i would like the challenge
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2011 at 12:42am
Ya I found one online so I'm just going to go the easy route. When I said nobody knew, I asked a bunch of friends who are into marine things and the local inboard boat dealer. This company Aldo told me I had an automotive alternator on my boat when it had a label on it that says " marine". Also this company charged my to align my boat wayy out of spec.
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2011 at 1:03am
what did they align? engine ,trans ,prop shaft ? how much if you dont mind me asking?
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2011 at 2:03am
I had them do everything. They told me it was done and ready for pickup. I read the info they gave me and it said " still not to spec but close". 988$ to align and put all the accessories back on. Let's say I got ripped off and I'm not proud of it.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2011 at 2:25am
Yes, you can get a flexible marine safe fuel line, but it is expensive. IIRC, about 80 bucks. I'm sure you can find one for a little less, but they are not cheap, although they sure make removing and installing the fuel line easy.

988 to align what? Sounds like they were messing around with the alternator and waterpump and such when you say accessories.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2011 at 2:42am
They installed the trans and aligned it all as well as put my exhaust, oil lines, and everything else that came off when the trans was removed.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2011 at 8:44am
John - Thanks for sharing your experience.

It takes a a lot to admit you got ripped off.

We are here to help owners 'do it yourself' so people can avoid marina rates. Plus, owners have a vested interest in the repair & tend to take more care.

Note - this comment doesn't apply to Boat Dr, Jody Seals, nor Eric!

Did you re-align it yourself? How far off was it?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2011 at 10:58am
The marina aligned it. They gave it back to me at 0.0008 when it should be under .0003 ... Long story short I gave my boat to them and gave them a 1500$ limit to do whatever is needed. They "aligned" it and tuned it up and just didn't give a crap ab the spec eventhough they knew what it was. They said the reason it is out of specis because my motor mounts need to be replaced. So the 1500 limit - 988= 512$ to buy motor mounts but they just didn't give a s**t. Don't ever go to no wake marine
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2011 at 12:16pm
SkiDIM sells the pre-bent Ford line for $15.

SkiDIM line

A 3/8" brake line is even cheaper, and comes with the correct fittings... but I only do that if the original line is too short- which can happen if you install a taller intake manifold. Getting the bends just right is a PITA, but doable.

The flexible fuel line that SkiDIM sells is nice, but pricey ($60+).
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2011 at 7:54pm
I thought high limit on alignment was .003 (3 thousands), .0008 (8 ten thousands) would be well within limits.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2011 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by kytom2 kytom2 wrote:

I thought high limit on alignment was .003 (3 thousands), .0008 (8 ten thousands) would be well within limits.

I have a feeling there's one too many zeros in that figure!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 1:19pm
Ya sorry it's at 8 thousandths when it should be within 3 thousandths. So it's pretty far off. I just don't understand why this company just doesn't care that it's out of spec.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 1:25pm
Probably because it's as good as they can get it. Your in OH, take it to Medina and have Eric do it.
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 1:32pm
Ya I spoke to the guy that aligned it. He blames it on my motor mounts so I got new ones and he's aligning it again for free. It just blows my mind that I had to get on his back to figure this all out on my own. When he should have just said I need parts. I gave him a 1500$ limit and he only spent 800... So ge should have spent more and purchased new mounts.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Probably because it's as good as they can get it. Your in OH, take it to Medina and have Eric do it.

Bruce, you sound like a Monday morning quarterback....

"Nothing is impossible for the man that does not have to do it himself."
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 5:05pm

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Bruce, you sound like a Monday morning quarterback....

"Nothing is impossible for the man that does not have to do it himself."

Billy, you don't think Eric would have taken care of him? He's not looking to do it himself. Sounds like he's got it resolved. What's the matter with you?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 6:03pm
Bruce, that was a "fun" little poke at "your" comment, not Eric.
He has done far more of these than I have, so I am not about to question his finished product.There is a lot more involved than just talk about how close you are on these tolerances, how easily does the shaft turn, tells the complete story.........The easier it turns, the closer you get to that "magic .003 run out "
Bruce, who did the line up on your boats, I am sure you did not pay some one else....
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 8:38pm

Bruce, who did the line up on your boats, I am sure you did not pay some one else....

You know who did it seeing I was on the phone with you while we were doing it. Is the bill finally coming due?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 10:14pm
There are no hidden fee's on advice,to you or anyone else reading this post. It's only words till you can use it to repair or trouble shoot an issue,then it's called experience. I well remember your first calls to me and the subject matter....
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 11:46pm

I well remember your first calls to me and the subject matter....

I too remember the first calls with Billy... and a common phrase I used...

"Can you Spell that?"
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic