Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NO POWER ON TAKE OFF

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
zx900rr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zx900rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NO POWER ON TAKE OFF
    Posted: April-21-2011 at 8:45pm
I am new to this site, recently purchased my 1982 Ski Nautique 2001. Have done all the basic maintanace, fluids, impeller etc. Took her out to the lake today and attempted to pull a skier and she had very little power on take off, once the boat planed it seemed like a "powerband" kick in. I have no idea how to trouble shoot this any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 1:26am
Seems everyone is talking carburetors lately. Any possible issues will tend to show themselves when a boat had been sitting for a while.

Old, stale fuel is a possibility.

Unless you have many skiers, the boat should have no problem, unless it's not getting the fuel it's supposed to (carburetion)

If you have no skier, and you just hammer the throttle off the line, will it take off? Or will it bog, cough and sputter?

Too steeply pitched a prop would be another possibility, but not super likely. The 89 and new boats mostly have a gear reduction tranny, 1:23 or PCM "Power Plus" as it's called. These trannies can run a steeper prop.

If someone put one of these on your 1:1 tranny boat, it could really hurt you out of the hole.
skyway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 1:28am
I would check to see you're getting a squirt from your accelerator pump when you open up the throttle. If that's not working, it will fall flat hard on its face when you gun it.
QUEBEC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QUEBEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 2:10am
Check the points-dwell-timing-fuel from accelerator pump- has the boat been sitting long /gas + gas filter - fuel pump / fuel pressure.
NEVER EVER GIVE UP ON YOUR SELF YOUR FAMILY YOUR FRIENDS AND GOD THERE ALWAYS A NEW DAY
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 10:31am
When I bought our 96' last year, it had been sitting for 3 years. Carb had a lot of corrosion, and fuel only shot out of the primary jets and not the secondary when under a load. Idled fine and picked up power ok when gradually increasing speed. Long story short, ran like crap under load (stalling, sputtering), rebuilt carb, didnt work (secondary kept sticking, couldnt even turn by hand, replaced carb with new one, now runs like a bat out of hell!! By the way, I'm no mechanic and dont know the correct terminology or mechanics of a carb This is what worked for me.
levin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 12:49pm
zx900rr,
There's no powerband, like a motorcycle (I assume that's your username).
These motors are designed to make torque everywhere. If they're running right, they should.
-Brian
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 1:06pm
Brian, I'm pretty sure he meant the engines "sweet spot", and no power valve like you must be thinking. He did use quotes around the word "power band". For the most part sport bikes don't have power valves. Those are on 2 strokes, and aside from the early 80's, and a few non street legal race bikes, there are no 2 stroke sport bikes.

A zx900RR is a mish mash of kawasaki vehicle terms and not real production bike name. Take the R's off the end, and yeah, that works, or leave the 900 off and the ZX RR is the moto GP bike kawasaki had for several years. Typically ninja 900's are called zx9's or zx9R's.

Back to the real issue though, I'm certain your carb has either a power valve or accelerator pump issue by your description of it not having power under load. It needs extra gas to haul a person out of the water. It does not sound like it is getting that extra fuel.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
zx900rr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zx900rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 1:24pm
Thank Y'all for the advice this is my first boat and am very happy it is a classic nautique. yes a Zx9r is the bike that i ride. Excuse my ignorance for the using the term power band, but i did not know how else to describe the issue i was having. I will check the accelerator pump, if it is not working correctly, should move forward with a full rebuild kit? additionally, is it a hard project to under take? i am mechanically inclind, but have never rebuilt/worked on a carb.
zx900rr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zx900rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 1:31pm
if i have no one on the boat she takes off but not as strong as expected. my brother has a 88 and his freaken pulls and growls. that is the comparison i am using.

example, when pulling a skier and i have 4 people on board the boat seems to have no power initially. like is is being bogged down, then what i was discribing as a powerband effect, the power just comes back on the top end . totally just seems to have no power in the initial take off.
skyway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 1:36pm
If you don't get two streams of gas squirting out of the accellerator pump nozzle for a moment when you advance the throttle, the best bet is the diaphragm is torn and needs replaced.

Take off the flame arrestor and watch the top of the carb when someone advances the throttle. You should do this without the engine running just to check. You should see two streams of fuel going in to the front two barrels of the carb. If you don't two streams of gas, you have a problem you need to troubleshoot.

This would be the first thing I would check.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 1:36pm
Naw, you used the term power band correctly.:)

To do a real quick check, have the motor off, and preferably on the trailer, disconnect the throttle cable from the carb linkage, and take off the flame arrestor( air filter) from the carb. If gas does not shoot from the 2 squirters on the primary barrels ( the front 2 barrels of the carb) as soon as you engage the throttle from the idle stop on carb, then that's a good indication that it may simply be not adjusted right, or that you need to rebuild the carb.

Rebuilding a carb is easy fro anyone that is mechanically minded.

Go to holleys website, and watch the carb tuning videos. Those are priceless. While some things on a marine carb are different from an automotive one, the basics are the same. On boat, with all that water resistance, having the accelerator pump and powervalve operating properly are keys to a good running boat.

edit, I see skyway posted at the same time;)

you can do it yourself by taking the connector off the carb linkage, but you may simply need a new accelerator pump diaphragm, or an adjustment. You can just buy the AP diaphragm and put that on without rebuilding the whole carb. More than likely you would need a new gasket for the bowl as you simply take the front bowl off, and then the AP diaphragm is on the bottom of the front bowl. If there is a good squirt, from the AP, but it is late, that would indicate that it needs to be adjusted, but judging from your description, it's not a hesitation then it goes well, but rather it never kicks in, with more load on the boat. Not until it gets above that point where probably the secondaries kick in, or the carb is on a different circuit.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 1:38pm
Yeah, I would suspect your accelerator pump. If it's running fine on top.

If you take the spark arrester off, (with the motor shut off) Look into the primary bowls. Have a friend pump the throttle once or twice, you should see a little squirt come from the side and go in there. Also, make sure you're getting it as soon as the plates open. Even a moment too late and you'll have hesitation.

Worth checking the timing as well.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by skyway2k skyway2k wrote:

If you don't get two streams of gas squirting out of the accellerator pump nozzle for a moment when you advance the throttle, the best bet is the diaphragm is torn and needs replaced.

Take off the flame arrestor and watch the top of the carb when someone advances the throttle. You should do this without the engine running just to check. You should see two streams of fuel going in to the front two barrels of the carb. If you don't two streams of gas, you have a problem you need to troubleshoot.

This would be the first thing I would check.

Jinxx!!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

Naw, you used the term power band correctly.:)

To do a real quick check, have the motor off, and preferably on the trailer, disconnect the throttle cable from the carb linkage, and take off the flame arrestor( air filter) from the carb. If gas does not shoot from the 2 squirters on the primary barrels ( the front 2 barrels of the carb) as soon as you engage the throttle from the idle stop on carb, then that's a good indication that it may simply be not adjusted right, or that you need to rebuild the carb.

Rebuilding a carb is easy fro anyone that is mechanically minded.

Go to holleys website, and watch the carb tuning videos. Those are priceless. While some things on a marine carb are different from an automotive one, the basics are the same. On boat, with all that water resistance, having the accelerator pump and powervalve operating properly are keys to a good running boat.

Oh man, I guess I didn't read the other posts. We all said the same thing. Of course, if he's getting a squirt, but it's just coming on too late, then he could adjust the accelarator pump linkage without a full rebuild. Wouldn't even have to take the carb off the boat.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 1:45pm
LOL, we are all on the same page:)

We'll help you out as much as possible Santiago!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 1:56pm
Tom,
Krones gave you Good Friday off?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 2:37pm
yessir! It is a good Friday;)

I did however have to use a personal day on that Blizzard Wednesday this winter when most of Wi and IL had a blizzard. Krones didn't call off that day, so I had to use a personal day. I don't know of any other business that isn't like a snow plow company that didn't pay their employees with no sick day required. Of the over 400 employees, only about 20 made it in to work that day, and all of those live basically across the street. So, in my mind this makes up for it.
zx900rr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zx900rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 11:01pm
took her out today, did as told check the card with boat off and did see two streams of fuel when throttle was engaged, question does it make a difference if i engaged it in nuetral or in gear. i ran her today and had the same issue. she did spatter and back fire a bit, once again thank you for your help and advice.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 11:28pm
did the boat ever run any better than this?
zx900rr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zx900rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 11:43pm
Yes it did. When I first purchase the boat she had alot of initial take off power. I did replace throttle cable, basic tune up wires plugs etc.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by zx900rr zx900rr wrote:

Yes it did. When I first purchase the boat she had alot of initial take off power. I did replace throttle cable, basic tune up wires plugs etc.

what would "basic" tune up be? Did it evern ran good after this?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 12:54am
Originally posted by zx900rr zx900rr wrote:

...I did replace throttle cable, basic tune up wires plugs etc.

Double... triple check that you didn't accidentally mis-route a plug wire. It can get confusing. It could still run, but you'd lose a lot of power with a plug wires mixed up.

Separately, with the stream of fuel. Make sure that your getting it immediately when you open the throttle. The fuel stream needs to be hitting the moment the throttle plates open. If the stream is even a fraction of second late, you're going to get a big hesitation. The accelerator pump linkage can be adjusted to correct this.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 1:20am
Also, unless the accelerator pump diaphragm or powervalve has been changed recently, either of these could have eroded, and cause issues. But yes, adjust the accelerator pump as that is free.

Holley's website is awesome and has vids. I recommend those to anyone that wants to either DIY or simply learn more about them.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 12:31pm
I wound up buying the Holley DVD which was really helpful as well. I also found this book useful for understanding basic principles:
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 12:55pm
Have you checked your timing yet?
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 1:43pm
Replaced the throttle cable? Are the throttle plates opening fully?
zx900rr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zx900rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 2:22pm
that is a great question i didnt check that, if they are not any advice on how to adjust them?
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 9:30pm
unless you replaced the cable with a shorter one I dont see why you'd have a problem there.

What else did you service? Did the boat ever run good after it?
82wake2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 12:58am
Zx looks like we have the same boat. I have almost rebuilt my engine. With a ton of help from here and friends. Pm me if you have any questions.
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 5:20pm
Where you ever able to fix the issue? Just curious.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic