Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First Oil Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 10:15am
I'll just chime in and back Pete, I run the VR-1 20W-50 in my 96' also.
levin
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 11:00am
I currently run the vr-1 20w50 BUT would like to try a 10w40. I think the 20 is too much at cold start and I'd like to see if there is any noticable change with a lighter weight blend.

What are my options in a 10w40 with adequate ZDDP?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

What are my options in a 10w40 with adequate ZDDP?

My motor guy recommened this.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=82&catid=9&loc=show
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 12:53pm
I run straight 40 on mine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

Thats not the direction I want to go so I'm going to try a 10w40 with additive. I want to get away from the 50wt for top end but need to 10 at start up. I run a high volume oil pump and I suspect it's holding me back so this is really just a comparative test.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 1:59pm
Castrol GTX Diesel 15w-40

I really don't know how easily available it is, but probably what I'll look to once I run out of 20w-50 VR$.

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I drained over 8 quarts from a PCM 351 last year. I'm thinking this may have been a reason the boat only ran 34 mph.

A fresh 5 quarts and it's back to 43 mph. Double your oil and you'll definitely slow down.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 5:22pm
I just changed to a straight 30w.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 9:34pm

Thats not the direction I want to go so I'm going to try a 10w40 with additive. I want to get away from the 50wt for top end but need to 10 at start up. I run a high volume oil pump and I suspect it's holding me back so this is really just a comparative test.

Alan, I did not meant that post to you, just wanted to share my side of the story.

I think we should agree that a SAE40 or 15w40 oil is the base oil for these engines, then you should consider engine condition and operating temperature where the boat is located.

what additive would you add? most guys here dont like them, down here this one is quite popular:

MPC

MPC test
merbesfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 10:50pm
Luchog, I have seen these sort of tests before. What always confuses me is if these additives are so great, why don't the oil manufacturers put it in their oils? I am not saying they don't work, just looking at a very interesting logical question. Any ideas?

The factory manual I read did recommend 40w by the way.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 8:40am
Originally posted by merbesfield merbesfield wrote:

What always confuses me is if these additives are so great, why don't the oil manufacturers put it in their oils?
Mark,
They do use plenty of additives in their oils but the one we are always concerned about most is the ZDDP for our flat tappets. It's the ZDDP that the EPA has regulated to the point of removal in some oil products.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 9:18am

Alan, I did not meant that post to you, just wanted to share my side of the story.

I think we should agree that a SAE40 or 15w40 oil is the base oil for these engines, then you should consider engine condition and operating temperature where the boat is located.

what additive would you add? most guys here dont like them, down here this one is quite popular:

MPC

MPC test

Luchog, I was just commenting. No worries.

I mentioned an additive because the prior post linked to a Lucas oil product. I'm going to try to find the Castrol product Hollywood wentioned and give that a try.

FYI to anyone reading this my engine is not stock so my oil concerns may not be the same as yours. You will have to make your own conclusions, I have run the vr1 20w50 since the rebuild and don't think it is right mainly because of the oil pump I have in the motor. Hindsight is 20/20 but you learn a lot in 5 years and I would use a stock pump next time.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 9:53am
Alan,
You could get the stock pump back in, pick up the lost HP and get some more WOT speed!!! Don't worry about it - many have made the mistake thinking a high volume pump would be better.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 9:56am
Alan, along with wentioned, do you own a wessel too Scotty?....you edited as i was typing
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 10:44am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alan,
You could get the stock pump back in, pick up the lost HP and get some more WOT speed!!! Don't worry about it - many have made the mistake thinking a high volume pump would be better.

Next time I pull the motor to clean the bilge Pete!!

I am 3/10 off of 55mph and it's killing me LOL. Once I finish working on the Wood boat I'll get back on my quest for speed and the 81 will be going under the knife for a winter.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 10:47am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Alan, along with wentioned, do you own a wessel too Scotty?....you edited as i was typing

That was a good laugh so I put it back in for ya!!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 11:14am
Alan, what is the issue with the high volume pump?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Some say it robs HP, also puts more stress on the distributor gear. That's why I going to a lighter weight oil for now. Seemed like the thing to do when I built the motor years ago but most seem to think it's not needed.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 11:40am

Bruce,
Alan's probably out running the silk screen machine and may not get back until lunch? so, I'll throw a few things in here. (he will too I'm sure). The high volume pumps need more HP since they pump more oil and it's not needed on a regular engine. It's just a waste of HP. I understand that many race car engines use them but they are intentionally built with some losser bearing fits. Also, way back it was common to stick a high volume pump in as a "band aid" on high milage worn out engines.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 11:51am
I've read a few debates about them on several forums, but the consensus seems to be a stock pump is usually best. Sounds like it's not a serious problem for Alan like the top end loading up with oil and the pump starving and frothing, which I've read can happen. It does seem to be one of those things that people have strong opinions about either way.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 12:21pm

Sounds like it's not a serious problem for Alan .

it's not really a problem at all I would just like to change it out, always looking for the right mix of parts to improve performance. I don't consider it a mistake, it runs fine as is I just can't leave things alone if there might be a better option. I would like to change my cam also, the cam was a choice made from a recommendation of a pro but it's not really ideal. Actually when I pull the boat apart in a few years this motor will probably not go back in it.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 12:30pm

Actually when I pull the boat apart in a few years this motor will probably not go back in it.

Alan why wait son long??? Why not just start putting it together now and then switch engines?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 12:38pm
Pull the boat apart? It looked and ran about perfect to me when I saw it.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 1:09pm

Pull the boat apart? It looked and ran about perfect to me when I saw it.

Thanks, I can be pretty tough to please. That pic is +-3 years old, the boat still looks pretty good but it needs a little TLC. I just need to get the Hurricane out of the way before I can start.

Luchog, Once I have a plan for the new motor I'll pick up a block and start collecting parts. I may offer this motor for sale, It would make a great repower for a tired old red 88 Nautique.

I still have to fire up the Hemi this summer and I hope that goes well or it may set me back another year.
merbesfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 12:14am
Enough with the oil weight debate. Can someone please post the oil filter no. and possibly the NAPA Oil filter no.? Does NAPA sell any other parts that I should grab when I head to the lake tomorrow? Thanks
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 10:54am
I got the PCM version of the oil filter:
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/oilfilterpcm.aspx

I think almost all of them take the same filter. Because, even the Chevy engines use the Ford Filter and will use an oil filter remote.

I know the Ford version is the FL-1A. There is a Wix version, I believe it's the 1515. I've heard guys mention a Napa Gold version as well, so it definitely exists, I don't know the number on that one.
Ladies Love Cool Correct Crafts
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

There is a Wix version, I believe it's the 1515. I've heard guys mention a Napa Gold version as well, so it definitely exists, I don't know the number on that one.

Napa Gold is #1515 and I believe still made by Wix. Presumably one of the better filters out there.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 4:42pm
Running a straight 30 weight is ok right??
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Polar Express View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polar Express Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 8:43pm
The Windsor series Ford motors that have been discussed, all use a rather small oil pump drive shaft. If you've never been inside one, they are not much larger than the #2 yellow pencil my kids do their homework with. Personally, I've always thought that was a little light duty for an oil pump drive shaft. As much as I believe that part design is under-sized ,the sheer volume of them still on the road, and working just fine certainly rebuts my personal opinion.

That being said, thicker viscosity oils, or a higher volume pump will place a higher stress on this little part,

For those reasons, and the fact that our engines run a little cooler than the automotive applications, I prefer a lighter viscosity oil. Various oil ingredients are there for all kinds of reasons, and the EPA has done wonders to make lubricants worse, all in the name of preservation. While still available, single-vis oils are not as common as they once were. You can easily find a variety of multi-vis oils on any parts house shelf, and pick your pleasure.

As far as aftermarket additives go, I'm a HUGE fan of the old Bardahl EP additive, but sadly, I can't get it anymore, even if I go to the factory in Seattle and beg. So, my #2 is Hilton Hyper Lube, but as that is rather thick, I compensate with an even lighter base oil. Recently, I've gone with 2 qts 5-30, 2 qts 0-30, and 1 qt HyperLube, and my engine has loved it so far.

PE

1996 Sport Nautique

This is America, if you don't like it, go conquer another country, and start your own.

I'll keep my God, my guns and my freedom, Barry can keep his 'change'
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 9:19pm
How can you tell that the engine "loves it"?

Don't confuse cooler temps within the cooling system compared to autos for lower oil temps... the sustained high loads that marine engines see make them a different animal. Some of the offshore guys run cooling systems with no thermostats and sub 120 deg temps just to keep their oil under the 250 mark... oftentimes in conjunction with large oil coolers in the loop.

Agreed on the small oil pump drive... gotta be careful with hv pumps on windsors.
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 10:00pm
I agree, how do you know your engine Loves it. My recommendation is run Amsoil they have two marine oils either one will be great. I have been running it for years. Read their reports and test. If someone made a better oil I would run it. I also use their oil filters. People will spend thousands on a boat or engine and skimp on cheap oil and filters. In some parts of the country where summer is short it could ruin your season. Good luck
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic