NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski boat for hire?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski boat for hire?
    Posted: April-27-2011 at 3:32am
I had a flooring customer ask if my 18 y/o son would be interested in teaching her kids (6 and 7 years old ) to board and ski. They live on a lake but only have a pontoon, so it would be using our boat/equipment. The euntreprenuer in me thought it seemed like a cool idea initially, but then I started thinking about liability, permits, eguipment needs, hourly costs etc.... any recommendations or insites.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 3:46am
Sounds risky.. unless you cover yourself properly.. Since its "for hire" you'll need a captains license, then of course insurance. An OUPV will probably run you in the area of 1200 clams.. plus the time required to pass the test, which will be significant if you're not familiar with things like chart plotting and navigation, rules of the road etc.. Then you'll need to pony up for insurance.. Unless you were thinking of doing this as an actual venture then its probably not worth the investment for just a few here and there..

Of course if you do it as a favor and not for hire then you'll avoid most of that.. and I imagine your insurance on your boat would cover injuries if one of the kids tears a knee off or something.. depending on your coverage..
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 7:59am
get your son to teach them and then ask them to make a donation to a charity on your behalf or something....just a thought
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 9:18am
Let her fill the tank I'd take em but that's me and I wouldn't charge
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 9:24am
What does your son think about the idea? If he's chumping at the bit, then I'd let him do it for no charge, then let her make a gift at the end to him directly or his scholarship fund or you make the gift to him for his awesome willingness to give his time to two youngsters. Sounds like a blast.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 10:11am
Are you a gambler? Money changes everything.
If you know them or they are your kids friends and you invite these people or to ski I don't think their is an issue. If you want to run a ski school you had better get the coverage and permits.
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 10:27am
True story ... St,Mary s river friend of mine pulling a little girl behind his boat ...rope broke and of course the little girl fell and somehow broke her arm...the parents sued my friends insurance. I was not told how much they sued for but it was enough to pay all the doctor bills ++++ everyone is a liability these days especially when it comes to someones child id send them to our site and show them all the options of being a "CORRECT CRAFT"owner
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 11:18am
Originally posted by dochockey dochockey wrote:

Let her fill the tank I'd take em but that's me and I wouldn't charge

$4.17 a gallon??..you're nicer than I am. I would think they'd be more than willing to put some money up for the gas. That's still cheap, seeing as how they don't have to pay for the boat itself, maintenance, registration, storage, etc...

But I'm a cheap ba$tard
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 11:39am
I am very willing to pull some one around the lake just for the fun of it, especially kids, But in this case it is not a friend, but a very picky customer building a 2 million dollar home on the lake. She is looking for a few hours a week all summer long. I am not in a position to spend out of pocket and take a donation at the end, if I cannot make it official and write off some expensives, it is a deal breaker, and it sounds like making it official is a deal breaker also. Thanks for the insight everyone.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 11:39am
Check your boat insurance it might cover guests? Other than that take cash and don't put anything in writing.
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Check your boat insurance it might cover guests? Other than that take cash and don't put anything in writing.

Mine does, but "for hire" changes everything..
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Mrusso94 Mrusso94 wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Mine does, but "for hire" changes everything..

Which is why he's saying not to write anything down and just take cash. I agree with this approach.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 11:59am
Our Ski Team is kind of trying to figure this same thing out. We want to host a "Learn to ski day" and are currently working out all of those liability details now. We will be creating a waiver (not that it'd do much for us in a court room) for them to sign saying we're not liable. We will also be going the donation route I thiiiink...with highly suggestive price points.

It is a very touchy subject though.

Look into USA water ski insurance. It's what the ski teams use and could possibly be an easy solution to your problem.

USA WaterSki
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 12:14pm
If you take money, your insurance probably won't cover you in a claim. Accidents happen. We've had at least 6 over the years that required hospital visits, one was serious. All were accidents that could have happened anywhere to anybody. Don't do it unless you set yourself up as a business with proper insurance.

As far as taking cash goes, easier than it sounds. It puts you in the bad position to have to admit it or lie.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 12:43pm
My friend and I went wakeboarding in San Diego with this girl who had her own little one boat school. She had been an instructor under a larger organization before and had experience.

She was operating in a sheltered bay on the ocean, so she was a little more easily scrutinized by law enforcement. But yeah, she had gone through the whole captain's licensing etc. She said it was a good years worth of course material and also the insurance.

But yeah, I mean, it seems like everyone buys pontoon boats for whatever reason, even though kids always love wakeboarding etc. So, it seems like if you (or your son) go through the trouble, it could pay off in the end. This girl I mentioned was in her late 20s, and it was her full time job.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 1:30pm
First question, is your son (Austin??) capable of safely taking these people out on his own? If all is good there have him take them out as guests, if she fills the tank or throws the kid a few bucks so be it, if not it will be a 1 and out. Who knows after spending a few hours on the boat with these people he may be running for the hills anyways.

BTW, is she a MILF?? Perhaps another form of payment??
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

BTW, is she a MILF?? Perhaps another form of payment??

+10
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 4:31pm
"But in this case it is not a friend, but a very picky customer building a 2 million dollar home on the lake. She is looking for a few hours a week all summer long".

Sounds like she wants you as a baby sitter I agree with Quinner
try it once and if it goes good maybe you can become friends?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 5:42pm
Valant, is your club not a 501(c)3?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 5:44pm
No Sir Hollywood. Nor do we use USA Waterski insurance.

My parents have an umbrella insurance policy for their house/yard/beach which covers where we ski.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 5:53pm
That's crazy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic