Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

can a girl do a stringer job?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
turbo_lesbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo_lesbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: can a girl do a stringer job?
    Posted: April-28-2011 at 1:43am
howdy, all!

i've been lurking around here for a few months now, getting some info
and i'm about to take the plunge and buy the cpes/resin/fiberglass. i
have the floor out of the boat except for the stringers, and i have douglas fir boards waiting in the wings.

before i show you some pics, here's a little about me.

i've spent a lot of time on the water, but this is my first boat.
i bought it so that my girlfriend and i could spend some quality fun
time with her three girls on the nearby lakes.
i work on airplanes for a living so i feel pretty comfortable taking on
this project, but my fiberglassing experience is limited to mostly patches. i've really enjoyed reading this site
and looking at everyones pics so here are some of mine.

i knew she was a project

PO took out all the seats and made some out of composite. i may tweak them a bit before i have them upolstered.

carpet out

everything out

it was wet everywhere.

i wasn't a big fan of the colors so we wetsanded the paint off.

so that's where i'm at right now. i still need to build some stands for
her and order the goo. how much cpes does it take for the stringers? i
want a plywood floor, too. i hate foam after pulling it all out. i like
the jobs i've seen on here that have ribs instead. that's what i'm
planning on. is two gallons going to get it? four? please help!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 2:00am
You know the answer to that question before you asked. Of course a girl can do a stringer job. I bought 2 gallons of CPES (1 gallon each of the two part mixture) and that was way more than enough CPES. I probably could have got away with two quarts(1 quart of each part). However, I did not do plywood floors which will soak up a lot of CPES.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 2:13am
Welcome to the site. Looks like you have a great start. You can get all the help you will need to get that boat better than new. I recommend getting the two gallon kit if you are going with plywood floors. I had a little left but had to get two more quarts for a rear seat box/speakers and I built a front partition under the dash for front speakers. CPES is a great product and worth the cost and effort.And keep the pics coming. Monty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo_lesbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 2:21am
thanks, guys. i'm really excited about finally getting started on the
stringers. it's already pushing the 80's down here so i'm going to get
the slow cure stuff. i just didn't want to over buy and have too much or
under buy and pay double shipping. i'll keep up with the pics. i
probably wouldn't have bought the boat if there hadn't been so much info and pictures to go by here on this site.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 2:55am
It really looks better already,what colors are you going to go with?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 3:20am
A plywood floor will make you so happy after all that nasty foam is out.

Of course anyone can do this, and if you take your time, it will be exactly what you want.

For me the stock type seats were not good enough and I redid all of those with custom made seats and upholstery.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo_lesbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 10:45am
i'm leaning towards black and white with a grey carpet. the kids want black and red. i'll probably run out of money doing the floor so that will probably wait until next year.

i've seen pics of the seats, and i didn't really like them either from that year. i don't really like the ones the PO made either. i'm going to custom do them as well. the kids will probably be sitting on a cooler if i can get it done this summer. my goal is fourth of july weekend.

i orderd the cpes last night. i need to get going on the stands and getting her level.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 11:15am
Welcome uh turbo-lesbo? we are on a first name basis if you want

Hows the motor? will you have to do any work to her?

Kirk
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 11:32am
What part of Arkansas are you in Jamie? My brother is in Hot Springs, lots of nice lakes around there. We spend the 4th up there every year.

I also got the 2 gallon CPES kit for my Mustang. cpes
Still have a ways to go but I would guess it's going to be enough for me.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

What part of Arkansas are you in Jamie? My brother is in Hot Springs, lots of nice lakes around there. We spend the 4th up there every year.

I also got the 2 gallon CPES kit for my Mustang. cpes
Still have a ways to go but I would guess it's going to be enough for me.

Hello Vondy,

You ever been to lake gresson. ooooowwwweee what beauty!! Love arkansas lakes.

Great work on the boat so far. You can do it!!
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 6:33pm
TL; what's wrong with the colors?
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 9:01pm
Hey Tul,
My brothers boat (a 84 2001) is on Byron Lake with the same colors (I love that old boat)
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo_lesbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 9:53pm
the motor runs, but needs a few things. i plana on putting in new plugs and wires, belts, changing the oil and filters. i need a battery, too. we pulled it out at the hangar i work in, so i stare at it during my breaks and think of all the money i could put in it. i'm really trying to focus on the floor before i spend all my money.

vondy, i live in hot springs, too, downtown near the bath houses. it's a really pretty place and lake ouachita is where we usually go. i've been to greeson before, too. i think that's the one with the cliffs? it's been awhile.

the colors weren't so bad, i just couldn't make them look nice, and the kids "wouldn't be seen on that"
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2011 at 12:05am
Jamie, you've got a great start already. Looking forward to following your progress. My first boat was a 83 and with the same color scheme.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2011 at 12:16am
Haven't been to Greeson. Done Quachita, DeGray and Hamilton. My brothers neighborhood has a ramp on Hamilton. For the 4th we usually spend the day on DeGray. That one is probably our favorite. Quiet and clean.

We always watch the fireworks on Hamilton during the 4th too.

All the lakes are so much cleaner than our dirty Texas ones. We love going there.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2011 at 12:48am
Originally posted by turbo_lesbo turbo_lesbo wrote:

the motor runs, but needs a few things. i plana on putting in new plugs and wires, belts, changing the oil and filters. i need a battery, too. we pulled it out at the hangar i work in, so i stare at it during my breaks and think of all the money i could put in it. i'm really trying to focus on the floor before i spend all my money.

vondy, i live in hot springs, too, downtown near the bath houses. it's a really pretty place and lake ouachita is where we usually go. i've been to greeson before, too. i think that's the one with the cliffs? it's been awhile.

the colors weren't so bad, i just couldn't make them look nice, and the kids "wouldn't be seen on that"

you bet cliffs.. Surrounded by cliffs and dark blue clear water.. The first year we went, the whole lake was glass at 2pm in the afternoon. Amazing! Great cafes, great people and one hell of a lake.

The man that introduced me too direct drive inboards as a kid, took me and the family there for a vacation when I wuz in highschool. Best week I ever spent.. I did not want to leave there.Anyways, after his Century Resorter blew up, he went looking for a boat. Finally found a 83 2001 and same color coordination as yours.Brings back memories. Love them colors..

I hope all goes well in your restoration. There are some wonderful guys here to guide you along if you need it.

1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2011 at 12:50am

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2011 at 1:10pm
Black and red?

Ya know, that really don't look too bad!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo_lesbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2011 at 10:02pm
heh. that pink is funny. we talked about pink, black and grey, and laughed it off. i kinda like the black and red, but it reminds me of the snap-on truck that parks at our hangar. i would feel like i need to pay it all the time.

i've seen a few with newer graphics put on them that i really like, but like i said. if i don't do the floor first i'm gona run out of money.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2011 at 10:15pm
Yer gonna have to tell the Snap-On guy you're going to Sears.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by turbo_lesbo turbo_lesbo wrote:

i would feel like i need to pay it all the time.

Umm, you are just getting started now. Just wait.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 2:44am
Topic: can a girl do a stringer job?

I had to make sure you where talking about boats, I thought maybe there was something new out there I had not heard of . Looks like a great project, I admire anyone who takes it on.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 10:36am
why omh, you got soft stringers?
"the things you own will start to own you"
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 10:45am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

why omh, you got soft stringers?

Still doing the job as designed, but odds are not for much longer. We are still talking about boats? Right?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 11:11am
one word "blue"
"the things you own will start to own you"
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 6:43pm
LOL...Jamie you had to know it wouldn't take long for this thread to degrade. They all do anyway.

Hey Vondy, I see you're in Dallas. What lake do you guys hang out on? We've got a few around here for sure.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 7:37pm
Welcome to CCF. If you search around here there a several in depth, detailed discussions about stringer removal, replacement, to foam or not to foam, flooring, and gelcoat vs painting a hull. All for free, just your time looking. Good luck with your project and hope it provides years of enjoyment.

Even if your boat project is not completly done, if there is a reunion within driving distance please attend. This is a great group to associate with.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by TX Wind TX Wind wrote:

LOL...Jamie you had to know it wouldn't take long for this thread to degrade. They all do anyway.

Hey Vondy, I see you're in Dallas. What lake do you guys hang out on? We've got a few around here for sure.

Mostly on Hubbard because it's close. Although it's got to be about the worst lake for our boats. The slightest breeze and it's white capping.

We have a friend with a lake house on Cedar Creek and try to get out there a few times a year as well. Their cove is pretty calm, until the wakeboarders and tuber come out.

Been to Lavon once and Lewisville a couple of times. The best yet has been the Brazos. Always smooth but a bit of a drive for us. Hopefully we will get out there more this year.

How about y'all?
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 5:47pm
Yeah, we live right on Cedar Creek. We are marine contractors. We actually installed all of the steel retaining wall (except for the 500 feet that leans) on John Paul Jones park at Hubbard. I know what you mean. I'm doing a project at Tawakoni right now. It's even worse.

My dad has a house on the water in Gun Barrel just around the corner from some of the better ski water on Cedar Creek. We like the Brazos too but you're right, it's a drive. It's a drive even if you live in the Rio Vista area LOL. So we stick to the Creek unless we can get to Rio Vista for the most part. You should PM me. We could probably grab some water together sometime. I grew up at Cedar Creek. My family has been in the area since Texas was a Republic so I know a few people around town.

Heck...maybe if we team up we can force people to take a break from Christmas to throw us a proper birthday party.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo_lesbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2011 at 1:45am
Originally posted by TX Wind TX Wind wrote:

heh. i know. like i said, i've been lurking on here for awhile...

did i mention that i really want it to STOP RAINING so i can work on my boat. buh.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic