Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1997 Sport Nautique Ballast Config

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NautiqueCaptain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1997 Sport Nautique Ballast Config
    Posted: April-29-2011 at 11:56pm
Just bought a 1997 Sport Nautique with no ballast. Anybody have a recommendation for the best ballast configuration for wake boarding with this boat? Thanks
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 6:48am
What is your skill level? What type of wake are you looking for? Steep and hard or soft and rampy? There are a lot of variables. I run (2) 800 lb sacks, one on each side of the dogbox in my '96 SN. Sometimes I will run an extra 350lb sack in front of the rear seat. Where you put the weight will affect size and shape of the wake.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 10:17am
Hey Bret,

What kind a wake do you throw up with that much weight? I imagine its huge. I'm looking at buying a 750lb for our 96' SN to put behind the doghouse. Our boat actually throws a pretty good wake at 20-22. Just curious what 1600lbs. does for you. Do you have any pictures you could post?
levin
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 12:56pm
I'm sure with 1600 lbs of ballast in a 96 SN that it makes a really nice wake.   When we used a similar year (97 IIRC) CB SN, we put a 750lb sac in back and it made a nice wake. Coupled with a full boat and a fly high it was pretty nice. I don't know whata DD air nautique from that era runs for factory ballast, but if you set up the sport with the same weight and location of ballast as the factory DD AN's, add a topwer and some people and it make s a VERY nice smooth big wake for boarding.

Nautique captain, if you are not aware, the Direct drive Air nautique is the same hull as the sport you have. The only difference was the ballast because you could get airs with no tower. So you can easy upgrade it to DD AN status with a little work.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2011 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by levinmark levinmark wrote:

Hey Bret,

What kind a wake do you throw up with that much weight? I imagine its huge. I'm looking at buying a 750lb for our 96' SN to put behind the doghouse. Our boat actually throws a pretty good wake at 20-22. Just curious what 1600lbs. does for you. Do you have any pictures you could post?

Mark, it's pretty nice, it gets the job done but by no means is it huge. But I'm used to riding behind bigger boats with much more weight. My old '83 2001 hull put out a better wake w/less weight. The NWZ hull has a much softer lip. The 2001 hulls when weighted good throw a monster wake and the wake is SUPER hard. It boots you straight up. I'm content with what I have though, I'm getting more into slalom again and for that this boat can't be beat.
That sport will have an awesome wake when enough weight is put in. Like horkn already said, that's the hull that the first AN's were based off of. I used to ride behind the first gen air nautiue w/dd and it was a great wake.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
NautiqueCaptain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 12:45pm
Thanks guys. So can you buy a kit to convert to a built in ballast system?
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 1:53pm
You might be able to buy a kit, but you would be better off simply copying someone else's DIY plans that upgraded a Sport to an Air. I know a few on here did the upgrade, but you would ideally find a thread about the procedure that worked out perfectly, and duplicate that.

I'll poke around and see if I can find a thread or 3 for you with DIY tutorials. It's a very common upgrade and I'm sure it's been well documented.   Once I find them I'll have to bookmark them because I might have to follow the tutorial myself at some point.

Tom
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 2:13pm
Here are some threads, 2 of these are very good threads.

Copy, then paste.   I'll fix my links to direct link later;)

http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/showthread.php?17044-99-Air-Ballast-Install&highlight=sport+ballast+install

http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/showthread.php?15470-Planned-ballast-system-for-my-DD&highlight=sport+ballast+install

http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/showthread.php?15413-1997-Sport-Nautique-Auto-ballast-questions&highlight=sport+ballast+install
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic