Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting ready for summer.. help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dougs_boat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougs_boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting ready for summer.. help
    Posted: May-19-2011 at 10:16pm
Last summer I purchased a 99 air tique... I am about to put it in the water, and have changed oil and transmission fluid looks good(maybe I should change as well). Should I do anything to the drive shaft and the "thingy"(sorry for the technical jargon) it passes through before the prop.

What is the correct name for the fin/keel at the front of the hull, someone told me they are called sponsons, this doesnt seem right.

It runs great(starting cold in the morning is sometimes difficult) and looks awesome on the water.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 10:34pm
Hey Doug,
Welcome to CCFan. Check out Pete's video on prop shaft ajustment and watch it twice.(i did) The thing in front under the boat is a skeg / tracking fin
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougs_boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 11:52pm
Thanks for the quick reply, Im on my way to the cottage tomorrow. Im having trouble finding the video you referred to. Thanks again
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 12:12am
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 12:50am
Thanks Mark, you da Man!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 1:58am
Originally posted by dougs_boat dougs_boat wrote:

Last summer I purchased a 99 air tique... I am about to put it in the water, and have changed oil and transmission fluid looks good(maybe I should change as well). Should I do anything to the drive shaft and the "thingy"(sorry for the technical jargon) it passes through before the prop.

the "thingy" the shaft passes thru before the prop is a strut. There is a cutless bearing inside it. Make sure the shaft doesnt "wobble".
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougs_boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 6:02pm
My cutlass bearing is wobbling a bit for sure. I am just in the process of getting a prop puller. Who is good to order bearing from? Will there be a part # on old bearing or should I take a vernier callipers to measure shaft and bearing length?
Pete's video is great!   
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 6:23pm
There are different diameter bearings so you will need to figure that out. The length is not critical. You can get them from skidim.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougs_boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 8:41pm
Prop came off no problem, getting the strut off is another story. It would appear as though there is some seal/caulk holding it fast(4 bolts came out no problem). I have removed pretty much all caulk but I cant get strut off. Is there something im missing? I was hoping to remove the strut without having to remove the shaft, I suspect the shaft has to come out first then.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougs_boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 9:45pm
Ooopps watched petes video again, looks like shaft comes out first.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 9:50pm
I think most people would pull the shaft coupler and leave the strut on the boat. When you go to put the strut back on make sure you use 3m 5200 and not silicone caulk.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 9:39am
Doug,
If you're just putting in a new cutlass bearing, don't pull the strut. You don't want to have to do a strut alingement if you don't have to!! I hope I'm not too late - I took a long weekend up north getting my boats in the water and working on the shop.

The old cutlass is cut out by splitting the outer brass shell (or phenolic) with a Sawsall or a hack saw. The ne one goes in using a piece of threaded rod, some nuts and fende washers. There are threads on the procedure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougs_boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 6:07pm
I split the coupling and pulled the shaft out. Thanks for the warning, I am leaving strut alone. I will hacksaw the old cutlass out this weekend and pop the new ones in, if they arrive (Mail strike here in canada!!). Not too bad a job so far, I thought splitting and removing the coupling would be tough. I followed Petes video and it popped off no problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic