Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

More Problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Problems
    Posted: May-27-2011 at 7:01pm
This year all i have needed was a trans install and engine alignment. After around 2-3 months i got a call saying my boat was "ready". I picked it up and realized that they put it within the wrong spec. they only aligned it to 8-thousandths when it needed to be 3. So after a 2-3 month wait, my boat has to go right back to the shop to get the work re-done.

This time my boat has been there for 3 weeks and the company told me it would be before memorial day weekend but like always, they have yet to touch it. I called the guy to ask when he thought it would be ready and he said..." if you want to use it this weekend, as-is, you can without a problem." I know he is wrong about that because there wouldn't be a spec for the alignment if it wasn't necessary.

So my question here is...Is he wrong or am I? and what problems would this cause? (just a heads up, im not taking my boat out until its within spec, im just curious)
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 7:40pm
How did you conclude the .008 ?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 7:40pm
you forgot the ever so important envelope....
dont worry cow, i sat at a marina yesterday and with a guy for 4 hours waiting for them to lift an engine in, the guy was pissed and told me why did you have to come on a busy day and my reply was i couldve come tommorow (today) which is really the busiest boating season day of the year.

but, why dont you grab the boat and try the alignment yourself?
"the things you own will start to own you"
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 7:54pm
the .008 was the number the repair shop gave me. so i took it back and said do it within .003.

eric- Im new to the boating world (2nd year). I am mechanically inclined but honestly i dont know how to align it, dont know if i have the right tools, and dont want to take the risk doing it wrong and destroying a trans. If i was smarter i would have just taken it to you in the first place. now im stuck with no boat on the first nice weekend in ohio!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 10:04pm
John - You sound capable. Go get your boat back! This guy is screwing with you.

Alignment is very intuitive once you get the concept in your head.

If you cab change oil, you can do an alignment.

Patience is the biggest resource required.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2011 at 1:40am
If any of you guys are in cincy il pay you to do it !
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2011 at 5:26am
In the process of doing the engine alignment I will also be replacing the motor mounts. I'd love to watch/ help/pay someone to do it so that I could see and learn how it's done.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2011 at 9:41am
It is really easy to do. Especially with new motor mounts. Old mounts are the only thing I can think of that would make it difficult. Go get your boat, you could be on the water by noon.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2011 at 9:48am
the lost art of tipping the mechanic went to the wayside, a tip goes a long way, one thing i remember is the guy that tips me and he always goes to the front of the line.....its not relavent here but in the future it may help to shorten the 3 week waiting period, even try to pull the mechanic on the side and see if he does side work on the weekends. there is a pecking order at every marina or repair shop.
a funny one yesterday, a kid came into my shop with 2' 3m masking tape that he was peddling and trying to drive a hard bargain...probably needed to buy some crack, lol, he had 200 rolls and and started at a buck a roll, then in quanity he came down to .70 a roll and wouldnt budge.... so i said, let me see if i have a hundred in my pocket and pulled out a big jig wad (hundies) and shuffled it like a fan...i know how to read people and looked at his eyes and i knew that i was getting 200 rolls of masking tape for one of those hundies....and i did.
boy i went down a diifferent road on this one,
boat repair is a frenzy, 6 months of boats being broken and stored in the winter and nothing to do and the sun pops. moral here, your gonna wait
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2011 at 9:57am
not condoning any type of use but there are alot of boats out there running .020 out since their inception, .008 is not going to blow up the trans in a day, it does need to be addressed (i rebuilt it for you?) i would grab the boat and try to align it, if not, run it for the weekend, and put it on your priority list Tuesday, obviously keep a close eye on it and dont hammer it, pop the engine cover and make sure the trans isnt heating up
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2011 at 12:30pm
Erics allignment thread

I have this bookmarked as a favorite. Here is all you need to know.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2011 at 10:11pm
Ya Eric you rebuilt it for me right before last winter. I'd love to take it out this weekend just to be on the water, but Id rather just wait and have it running correctly before I mess with it. The guy at no wake owes me a free alignment. Plus he has my motor mounts at his shop and they are closed for the weekend.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2011 at 11:33pm
At least you know your tranny was done right! When it comes to these boats you are better off learning how to do these maintenance jobs yourself. Nobody else is going to be as meticulous and careful as you are. There are so few people that truly know how to work on these boats, but so many that will say they do and take your money. I learned that the hard way.

Bummer for the weekend, but let all the amateurs have the holiday weeekend to themselves. Break it out Wednesday afternoon when you have it dialed and go get some flat water to play in!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 12:04am
I like the way you think haha my boat hates big waves so il wait until i have the lake to myself.
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 2:18am
Since the guy has to do my alignment twice, the second time for free, I figure il go there on Tuesday and talk with him. I didn't even think about tipping him but that does sound like a good idea. How much do you guys think it would take to get my boat to the front of the line? Enough for him to remember me and my boat hopefully.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 10:43am
I give my garbageman a bottle of Jack every year, i stack *************** outside of it and he will actually get out of his truck now and load it into the dumpster and then dump again. really, throw the guy a 20.00 and you will see the little extra things he will do for you at no extra charge. I was on a boat Thursday and did a bunch of stupid *************** on it, altenator, thermostats, it was 6:00 at night and the guy asked if i knew anyone that could install his fresh water pump on the day tank...i looked at it in my hands and headed down to the bildge, it took me a total of 15 minutes to install..He insisted i take another 50 bucks and bought me dinner and beers.
it wasnt the 50 bucks or the dinner in my mind, yesterday morning I got to work and my phone rang, it was this guys dock partner, he needed some work done
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 11:43am
My dad used to give the garbage guys a couple of coldies in a paper bag.

Similar deal, he could put anything out there & it would be taken away.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2011 at 12:19pm
I have a friend who works on a trash truck. he laughs at the idea that he is a trash guy and people thinks that makes him a drinker . they leave him beer or a bottle when if he got a 10 or a 20 he would have a better xmas for his kids
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2011 at 12:37pm
mine requested Jack
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2011 at 12:40pm
i think i told this story before, my phone rang at work and it was the old garbagemans dispatch, he called into his dispatcher in order for me to move a car that was parked in front of the dumpster...he waited out in the street until it was moved
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2011 at 3:53pm
buy me the plane ticket and I´ll do the alligment for free...
Once you got the concept in mind its real easy to do an alligment..I can dot it
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 6:40pm
Well I have a new update to this story about my boat. They finally finished it 2 weeks late. I get the phone call saying my boat is done and ready to be picked up. So I ask for the final cost for my 2 new motor mounts, new dipstick, and they also wired the choke for my carb, and the free alignment they owed me.... 640$ good Fu**ing god! I asked how they figured this price and they told me they were changing me labor because they had problems. So this boat will now be sitting there until I can pay the final 640$ of my 1600$ alignment. So moral of the story is never ever ever go to no wake marine for ANYTHING!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 11:07am
i just thought of a new way to get a boat, ill get one of these boats and charge 10 grand for a tranny job and maybe they will just say keep it?
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 1:51pm
they said they have to charge me labor on the second alignment to put the new mounts on and put the accessories on after alignment. I told them they wouldnt have had to put the accessories on again if they would have done it right the first time. but they still wont budge on price. so today when the owner gets in, im going to go pay him a visit.

Heres a list of why im so angry...

1) they had the balls to tell me my boat was done and ready for the water eventhough it was at .008.
2)I had to figure out on my own that it was out of spec and needed new mounts.
3)They charges me an extra hours labor to put my exhaust back on because they had to "grind it down to fit" after looking at it i realized they had the manifods on the wrong sides.
4) they told me they wouldnt work on it anymore until i replacced my automotive carb and distributor with marine. then after buying new parts and going to replace them i realized the parts currently on the boat were already marine grade.
5) and lastly, telling me i have a free alignment and then charging me for labor.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 2:18pm
John,
How did you end up at No Wake Marine? It's bad enough taking a boat to any dealership but one that handles Malibu??!!!

Eric,
Do you know anything about them?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 2:18pm
sounds like they went in dry on ya. Hope it works out and you get your boat back for a reasonable fee.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 3:23pm
i ended up at no wake because they are the only inboard repair shop within an hour drive.

i just got off the phone with one of the owners. There's apparently 2 owners, one runs the sales and one runs service. ofcourse the service owner is on vacation...must be nice. you would think the owner of a reputable dealership would have some respect for his customers. but on the phone all he said was no no no your wrong. My age might be the reason for this, since most older people (no disrespect) are superior in any situation compared to me.

I proved him wrong pretty hard...and a lot. he claimed that it took their shop 908$ worth of time (100$/hour) just to put the trans and accessories on..no alignment. my question to him was, How does it take professionals that long to bolt it together when i have talked to "amateurs" who have done it in less than 2 hours?? he had no answer

So il see you guys on the water sometime in 2012! haha because just out of principal and being stubborn i refuse to pay it.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 3:52pm
Make some waves at no wake. Be polite but firm and control the debate, keep brining up the areas where they have failed. Ask about their training and why their techs cannot recognize a marine carb, or one side of a manifold from the other. I would demand that he replace the "modified" manifolds with new ones,that are factory spec,placed on the right sides. That is what you were charged for, Sounds like they also charged you by the hour to wreck them. Of course this should be done at at no cost to you, same day, at your convience.Maybe Eric and someone else could write you up an estimate of what they would have charged to replace the parts and re-allign the boat. Then offer to pay that cost minus your free allignmnet. Go in armed and dont get walked on. Also let them know that so far 329 inboard enthusiests have viewed this thread and are waiting to see how No Wake resolves this issue.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 5:01pm
No Wake Marine - Cincinnati Ohio Our service department has been ranked one of the top ten in the country since 1998. Come see why we are #1.

Good thing you didn't take to the 11 and under guy's
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 5:40pm
Service Department Awarded Honors

- Fri, Mar 27, 2009-12:00 AM
The No Wake Marine Service Department has brought home the Gold Level Customer Service Award for the 13th straight year!!! This award is bestowed to the top servicing dealers in the country. Just a small testiment of our commitment to you the customer and the inboard industry.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic