NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1200 rpm warning light

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1200 rpm warning light
    Posted: July-10-2011 at 11:24am
all I can add, is if you want to survive in an economy like the one were in, or even to survive in business, there never ever is a word such as "no"
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2011 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

You guys went through this once already. Eric does not buy his parts at Walters, so what would the point of calling them be?

I guess Keegan he picks up the phone and dials the other line or the same number if it "hunts" in phone lingo. Liked your other post too   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2011 at 11:36am
Walters is a dim lit candle waiting on a breeze, and i was very dis heartened when i got cut-off twice (you'll remember, I was Great lakes Power's service manager for 10 years) and it left a very bad taste in my mouth, i would never bash a company but it was a very unethical business practice when i got cut off. I dont do a ton of Walter's but i do my share and i do them because of trust.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2011 at 11:21am
frogive me for asking, what were you going to do with the extra 1200 bucks?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2011 at 11:10am
the beef is he was quoted 2200 bucks and thats without seeing it, i did it for 1000.00 with a year warranty and im even thinking of kicking it up to 2 year warranty on all of my work because of confidence, im not going to reveal my parts sources because i dont want to get blacklisted again for not purchasing the special ground bearings, but an old man told me long ago, if you dont talk to her someone else will, i know there is a code of the road in business and I can appreciate that, but there is also profit margins in business, my phone rings everyday because of my ethics, im fair, im honest, ive been at it for 25 years, if i fck up i take care of the problems, ive recently even taken care of other peoples problem because the transmission was rebuilt in December and the warranty expired 90 days later, and it didnt work from the get go,
btw, I did it for free and you know what? 2 days later the marina called me to pick up a transmission and was told your the guy from here on out. thats how I work. I changed my mind if you want to try to blacklist me again me here are my suppliers, transmission marine, marysville marine, hale marine, harbour marine, federal marine.......like i said, if you dont talk to her someone else will...........eventually with a little research and building a trusting customer base, all roads lead to Brunswick lol, im just trying to make a living, im not getting rich but i feel i should treat people like how i want to be treated, thats all
SplashHL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplashHL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2011 at 8:37am
I've learned a lot reading this thread...hope I don't need a tranny anytime soon, but if I do, I'm calling Eric!
Whatever
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2011 at 3:58am
I would just like to add that any 9 year old skateboarder knows the difference between ABEC 5 and ABEC 7 bearings. Just because Walters does not stamp the specs into the bearing does not mean that it can not be obtained elsewhere for less. They even make ceramic bearings for skateboards.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 4:50pm
I'm very familiar with ABEC ratings and the tolerance that goes with them. As a reminder, the bearings in a Walters are not there for longevity but rather to handle it's poor design using a "U" joint instead of better boxes that use bevel gearing. The "U" joint speed varies twice with each revolution which in turn sets up some real bad torsional vibrations hence the need for the best ABEC rated bearing.

Here's the set of Timkens I worked on a couple weeks ago.

BTW, you can't go by on line prices. They are list and don't factor in the price muliplier for each customer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 4:26pm
You guys went through this once already. Eric does not buy his parts at Walters, so what would the point of calling them be?
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 4:23pm
Holy hell this guy again! You are kind of like herpes. You go away for a while then come back, but were never wanted in the first place.

1973 Skier
DonC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 3:54pm
drtybrdy9 and Eric - If you don't mind me asking, what parts were replaced in this V-Drive and what was the cost of the repair?

After reading all the Walters bashing I decided to call them to find out about general repair costs, and get a reference on Eric. To the best of their knowledge, they have haven't sold Eric any parts in at least 10 years, so I have to wonder if he is using new or used parts? Walters tracks each parts order with the V-Drive serial number, so you can call them (201-656-5654) with the serial number of your V-Drive and they'll be able to tell you what parts were ordered.

I also asked about 8122pbraind's comment questioning "special bearings" inside Walter V-Drive. Walters suggested that I don't take their word for it, but that I should contact Timken Bearing company to verify that the performance codes are NOT stamped on the bearings. Apparently the performance codes identify the bearings tolerance on outside diameter, inside diameter, width and the type of honing of the races. They mentioned that bearing supply houses usually only stock general production bearings, not ones made with closer tolerances. If anyone doesn't think that bearing tolerances don't affect function or longevity, they should google "ABEC-7 precision bearings". Here's the best part: Walters gave me the Timken number of one of their bearings along with a price and I checked a bearing price online at Motion Industries.

Guess what, Walter's price is cheaper so what's the beef???
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2011 at 9:40am
very possible
drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2011 at 4:19pm
Everything went well this weekend. The only thing is at higher rpms there are noticeable vibrations. Is that probably because the bums at the marina didn't align everything properly?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2011 at 9:52am
thanks for the words....enjoy the boat
drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 6:29pm
Eric,
Thanks for all the help. We are going to pick up the boat tomorrow, it will be ready for the 4th of July weekend. Also, i think we ended up saving somewhere close to $1000 by sending it to you over Walters. Anyone having similar problems Eric is the place to go. I think the marina is even going to save your information for any future customers with transmission or vdrive problems.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 10:35am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

really, the boxes are designed and built like the Space shuttle, but again, how many times do they delay the flights...

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 10:01am
really, the boxes are designed and built like the Space shuttle, but again, how many times do they delay the flights...its hard to put an hour number on the transmissions, alot depends on what happens to them in the boat
drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 6:50pm
I am pretty sure the PO of my boat was a giant POS. We got a great deal on it and even with this added cost we still are below the amount i see most 05 210 go for. So it sucks, but there was a reason we got it for that price.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 6:16pm
FWIW I have a friend (really, it isn't me) with the Walters in a 99, with a 502 that has somewhere in the neighborhood of 1350-1400 hours on it, never had a fluid change, and is still just fine. This thing has run pigged out with 2k plus of ballast the whole 12 years.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 5:42pm
Spoke with Eric today. The dealer already has taken out the Walters, since he was sending it out to be rebuilt he doesn't really care where it goes. So hopefully today it will be on its way to Eric.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Eric, do these things have a life expectancy, or do they just occasionally go out.

Only the Walters!!!! From an engineering standpoint the box is really a poor design that myself and Eric have commented on several times. The last I heard, which was a couple years ago, CC had phased the Walters out in all but one model and the word was that model too wasn't going to have the Walters in it for very long!!!

Depending on your hours, I'd start planning on one day getting it over to Eric. I'm sure he'll have some ideas on the hours.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 4:44pm
I'm guessing its too late to stop the process, but having looked over my Vdrive I think that would be very easy to get out.

Eric, do these things have a life expectancy, or do they just occasionally go out. I hate the light thing on the dash, I'm not sure I would notice right away if mine had a similar issue. It gets your attention at first, but after awhile you don't even notice it. I would rather have one that came on when there were issues.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 2:03pm
Yank it yourself and send it to Eric.
There's no better way to learn about the boat then to take it apart and put it back together again.
drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 1:31pm
We have used the dealership before. They sell new and used inboard boats as well as other boats. Their name is Island City Water Sports located in Cumberland and Clear Lake, WI. In regards to erics question they are sending the walters out to have the rebuild done and there was a couple options. First, they could send ours out and get all the work done and sent back. Second, and they weren't sure if this was possible, they would send ours out and replace it with an already rebuilt Walters, cutting down on the time the boat would be unusable.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'm also curious if they told you how long the colonoscopy proceedure would take?

You're going to feel a little discomfort now, sir.

Bwaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 11:02am
Mason,
Have you used this dealership before? Do they specialize in inboards or even more important V drives? Where are they? I'm also curious if they told you how long the colonoscopy proceedure would take?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 10:13am
i would bet they pulled it and called Walter's direct, its rare that a dealer rebuilds in house
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 10:11am
lets put it this way, on the same trans with replacing 2 gears and all the bearings im normally at 1200.00 total....so you tell me, someones going on vacation with that extra g-note your giving away.
typically i am usually right under a thousand with bearings u-joints.
you'll feel better after a while, its probably a better rebuild because of the price difference
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2011 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by drtybrdy9 drtybrdy9 wrote:

the dealer called me back, the bearings are shot and there are metal filings in the v-drive. He said that we are looking at $2200 total to get it rebuilt. Does that sound resonable or are we getting screwed?

Ah yes, the special Walter's bearings as mentioned!!!

Eric can tell you about how far you need to bend over. Of course, it all depends on how truthful they are too!?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2011 at 7:51pm
the dealer called me back, the bearings are shot and there are metal filings in the v-drive. He said that we are looking at $2200 total to get it rebuilt. Does that sound resonable or are we getting screwed?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic