Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1200 rpm warning light

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1200 rpm warning light
    Posted: May-29-2011 at 12:18am
The warning light that says to not operate boat if the light stays on above 1200 rpm stays on when the engine is over 1200 rpm. What is the most likely issue and are there possible "false positives" that would cause the light to stay on? Please help brand new boat and I want to get this figured out ASAP. Thanks
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 1:41am
Oil pressure sensor or temp sensor.
Check to make sure you can rule out both of those two things are not actually causing the light. Then you can start tracking down the bad sensor.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 1:52am
That's the Vdrive oil pressure sensor light. If it's on the Vdrive isn't seeing oil pressure. Not really a false positive, but if it's low that would cause a lack of pressure. You want to have that checked out because Vdrives aren't cheap.   
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 11:33am
Did you do all your basic fluid checks? Trans, oil, vdrive fluids? Just trying to rule out the basics.
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2011 at 9:15pm
The v drive oil was a little low, got that where it needs to be and the light still is on. I am a little confused, is there a v drive and a transmission? I thought the v drive was the transmission. Please let me know if there is anything else I can try and eliminate before having to drop $ with a professional. Everything else looks great, temp, oil levels, the sound, no weird vibrations or anything.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2011 at 10:55am
does the boat have a Walter's or a ski-vee trans? the Walters did or does have a light that will turn off when the prop shaft turns in either direction, what the walters has is a direction charge pump on the back end of it and in neutral the light will illuminate and as soon as the prop shaft starts to turn the pump creates pressure and the sending unit senses this and turns the llight off.
its a newr boat and i dint know whats down in there for a trans, first and foremost you need to check and post what trans you have
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2011 at 11:01am
btw, I have had this problem with the Walter's in the past, does the light stay on all the time or does it eventually go off....this pump on the Walters does not effect operation of the Walter's, it is a lube, cooling pump, and its purpose is just that, it lubes and cools the bearings....I normally put the boat in gear with someone at the helm and crack one of the rubber hoses on the back of the trans to insure oil flow....its not much flow, but the sending unit is pretty sensitive and will fluctuate and creats problems. the biggest thing is if the light goes out, then you know you have oil flow
drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 3:00am
i wasn't able to check what trans is in the boat before i left for home but i am 99% sure that it is a walters. The light stays on the whole time. if you could please clarify one thing for me, is there a v drive and a trans, or are they one in the same? What i added some oil to was the walters and the light still stays on above 1200 rpm. I am probably going back to the lake next weekend and would love to have this behind me so i can start taking some massive face plants!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 9:47am
they are completely seperate units, with their own oil sumps, the front transmission will be a PCM 1:1, that is where you get forward and reverse.
The Walter's is merely a gear connection to get the v-drive configuration, no clutches, just a circulatating pump, as I stated earlier to check if you have oil, you need to run the boat in gear and pop one of the rubber hoses on the back of the Walters and see if you have flow. really when everything is correct you only truly are getting about 5lb.s of oil pressure there.
im going on a Walters call this morning on a 35 carver, not that it matters, but, it would appear to me that your sending unit is acting up
drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 1:42pm
Eric,
Thanks for all the help, I have one more question for you when you say "pop one of the rubber hoses on the back of the Walters" are you refering to the stern side of the walters or the bow side?
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 4:14pm
When you say you added oil, did you add pink Dexron III? or 20w oil, and confirm where you put it.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 7:37pm
I put SAE 30 motor oil into what i think is the walters. I basically followed the directions here on page 8-16. So is there another place i need to check fluids to get this taken care of?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 9:59am
I failed to mention that the 2 bigger lines going into the top of the Walter's are raw water for cooling, dont pop those lines, there should be 2 seperate dipsticks, one for the pcm which takes Dex/Merc and one for the Walter's SAE 30W, that dipstick is on the top cover of the Walter's. actually you could pull the sending unit on the Walters and see if oil comes out there.
the boat i was on yesterday is identical to what you have and it appears to me that the owner stepped on his sending unit and broke it off and the oil pumped to the bildge and smoked the V-drive.
you gotta remember, any time you are adding oil it means a leak, oil doesnt just dis-appear or evaporate, so also if your Walters is low, the oil is going somewhere. its hard trying to convey at this point of what you have going on and i really dont mind taking phone calls 877-369-6693
drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 3:07pm
Eric,

First off, thanks for all of the advice. It seems as if this one is beyond my mechanical capabilities. I did take the hose off of the sending unit, put the engine in gear well past 1200 rpms and not a drop of oil came out. I don't know if there is anything else you can think of but I am planning on bringing it in to the dealer sometime soon, unless you have one more ace up your sleeve. Let me know if you can think of anything else. Thanks again
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2011 at 9:57am
i really hate to see you get hammered at the dealer, i feel at this point that it may be a pump problem, a relatively inexpensive repair...out of site out of mind,
do you know anyone that could pull the Walters section? this could turn into a 3k repair if not monitered.you dont know the times with the same scenario that i will buy the trans because it was replaced and i find a pin or something like a 5 dollar part from keeping the transmission from working...not saying its a simple repair but........
drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2011 at 1:55pm
from discussions with the dealer, i was under the impression that the oil pump was inside the walters. does that sound correct to you?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2011 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by drtybrdy9 drtybrdy9 wrote:

from discussions with the dealer, i was under the impression that the oil pump was inside the walters. does that sound correct to you?

Yes and the reason Eric asked if you could or know someone who could pull the Walters out. If so, then you could ship it to him. Better than the 3K at the dealer!!! Plus, the dealer will probably "rebuild" the box using Walter's "available only from them super special not made for anyone else in the world" bearings!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2011 at 5:18pm
when i take the rpms past 1200 how long do you think it would take before the pump starts pushing oil? I was above 1200 for at least 20 seconds and nothing, does that seem like it would be long enough?
drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2011 at 7:51pm
the dealer called me back, the bearings are shot and there are metal filings in the v-drive. He said that we are looking at $2200 total to get it rebuilt. Does that sound resonable or are we getting screwed?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2011 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by drtybrdy9 drtybrdy9 wrote:

the dealer called me back, the bearings are shot and there are metal filings in the v-drive. He said that we are looking at $2200 total to get it rebuilt. Does that sound resonable or are we getting screwed?

Ah yes, the special Walter's bearings as mentioned!!!

Eric can tell you about how far you need to bend over. Of course, it all depends on how truthful they are too!?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 10:11am
lets put it this way, on the same trans with replacing 2 gears and all the bearings im normally at 1200.00 total....so you tell me, someones going on vacation with that extra g-note your giving away.
typically i am usually right under a thousand with bearings u-joints.
you'll feel better after a while, its probably a better rebuild because of the price difference
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 10:13am
i would bet they pulled it and called Walter's direct, its rare that a dealer rebuilds in house
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 11:02am
Mason,
Have you used this dealership before? Do they specialize in inboards or even more important V drives? Where are they? I'm also curious if they told you how long the colonoscopy proceedure would take?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'm also curious if they told you how long the colonoscopy proceedure would take?

You're going to feel a little discomfort now, sir.

Bwaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Mike N

1968 Mustang

drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 1:31pm
We have used the dealership before. They sell new and used inboard boats as well as other boats. Their name is Island City Water Sports located in Cumberland and Clear Lake, WI. In regards to erics question they are sending the walters out to have the rebuild done and there was a couple options. First, they could send ours out and get all the work done and sent back. Second, and they weren't sure if this was possible, they would send ours out and replace it with an already rebuilt Walters, cutting down on the time the boat would be unusable.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 2:03pm
Yank it yourself and send it to Eric.
There's no better way to learn about the boat then to take it apart and put it back together again.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 4:44pm
I'm guessing its too late to stop the process, but having looked over my Vdrive I think that would be very easy to get out.

Eric, do these things have a life expectancy, or do they just occasionally go out. I hate the light thing on the dash, I'm not sure I would notice right away if mine had a similar issue. It gets your attention at first, but after awhile you don't even notice it. I would rather have one that came on when there were issues.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Eric, do these things have a life expectancy, or do they just occasionally go out.

Only the Walters!!!! From an engineering standpoint the box is really a poor design that myself and Eric have commented on several times. The last I heard, which was a couple years ago, CC had phased the Walters out in all but one model and the word was that model too wasn't going to have the Walters in it for very long!!!

Depending on your hours, I'd start planning on one day getting it over to Eric. I'm sure he'll have some ideas on the hours.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 5:42pm
Spoke with Eric today. The dealer already has taken out the Walters, since he was sending it out to be rebuilt he doesn't really care where it goes. So hopefully today it will be on its way to Eric.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 6:16pm
FWIW I have a friend (really, it isn't me) with the Walters in a 99, with a 502 that has somewhere in the neighborhood of 1350-1400 hours on it, never had a fluid change, and is still just fine. This thing has run pigged out with 2k plus of ballast the whole 12 years.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic