Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98 Ski Nautique Blowers are LOUD!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
IntelSoftApps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98 Ski Nautique Blowers are LOUD!
    Posted: July-23-2011 at 4:36am
Thats right! I remember now. Anyways, nice boat. I like the colors
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by IntelSoftApps IntelSoftApps wrote:

Originally posted by east tx skier east tx skier wrote:

Originally posted by ffhd1clt ffhd1clt wrote:

It's Sunday afternoon, July 10, 2011, and I just took the blower off my '98 Ski Nautique. In fact, the thing that brought me to your post was I did a Google search for "Ski Nautique blower" to see how much they are. I can tell you this, your blower sounds just like mine did. I don't know what's inside the blower, but I doubt there's a bearing in there. I think what you're hearing is just the "fan" in the blower rubbing against the housing. It gets dry in there, and there's no way to lube them. Let me guess, the sound changes all the time as well? If yours does what mine did, it will just quit on you one day as mine did today. The reason most people don't have blower issues is they don't use the things! Anyway, I would just run it until it quits, and like you said, you can confirm it's working by puutting your hand by the vents. By the way, it isn't as easy to take out as I thought it would be, but not the worst thing I've ever done either. It's just tight getting to the screws, etc. Good for you for using the blower, and I'm hoping my replacement is quieter.

Ha! I just googled the same thing. My 98 SN Blower sounds like a bad power tool. I bought another one and thought I'd get a heads up on how they go in before diving into it.

I run mine before the initial startup and usually on subsequent startups if things have been sitting for a while. With gasoline vapor being more dense than air, I'm not confident that just opening the motor box is going to do much with any vapor pooling in the bottom of the bilge. This is my method. If what other people do has not caused their boat to become a briquet, more power to them.

Let me know hoe it goes! and if the blower is quieter!

It seems like the 98's are the blower problem boats...

Will do. but I don't know of I would call a blower that still works after 13 years a problem.

I didn't mean like the whole thing is a problem. What i meant is that the loudness of them after awhile is always in a 98 ski nautique.

Also, did you ever post a story or post about your boat??? It looks very familiar. Like i have seen it online a few times...

I know. Mine has always been noisy for sure.

I posted a review about it on fifteenoff.com about it several years ago. I have certainly posted pictures of it on this site and others. Good chance you have seen some of the pictures before. I get around to quite a few boat forums (and that's probably putting it mildly).
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 10:22pm
Im working on it lewy2001
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 10:19pm
Just replace that blower please
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 9:07pm

It's Sunday afternoon, July 10, 2011, and I just took the blower off my '98 Ski Nautique. In fact, the thing that brought me to your post was I did a Google search for "Ski Nautique blower" to see how much they are. I can tell you this, your blower sounds just like mine did. I don't know what's inside the blower, but I doubt there's a bearing in there. I think what you're hearing is just the "fan" in the blower rubbing against the housing. It gets dry in there, and there's no way to lube them. Let me guess, the sound changes all the time as well? If yours does what mine did, it will just quit on you one day as mine did today. The reason most people don't have blower issues is they don't use the things! Anyway, I would just run it until it quits, and like you said, you can confirm it's working by puutting your hand by the vents. By the way, it isn't as easy to take out as I thought it would be, but not the worst thing I've ever done either. It's just tight getting to the screws, etc. Good for you for using the blower, and I'm hoping my replacement is quieter.

Ha! I just googled the same thing. My 98 SN Blower sounds like a bad power tool. I bought another one and thought I'd get a heads up on how they go in before diving into it.

I run mine before the initial startup and usually on subsequent startups if things have been sitting for a while. With gasoline vapor being more dense than air, I'm not confident that just opening the motor box is going to do much with any vapor pooling in the bottom of the bilge. This is my method. If what other people do has not caused their boat to become a briquet, more power to them.

Will do. but I don't know of I would call a blower that still works after 13 years a problem.

I didn't mean like the whole thing is a problem. What i meant is that the loudness of them after awhile is always in a 98 ski nautique.

Also, did you ever post a story or post about your boat??? It looks very familiar. Like i have seen it online a few times...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 2:09pm

1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 12:39pm
Maybe it has something to do with the location of the blower on the 98s?

On the older boats, there pretty much under the motorbox.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 7:36am

It's Sunday afternoon, July 10, 2011, and I just took the blower off my '98 Ski Nautique. In fact, the thing that brought me to your post was I did a Google search for "Ski Nautique blower" to see how much they are. I can tell you this, your blower sounds just like mine did. I don't know what's inside the blower, but I doubt there's a bearing in there. I think what you're hearing is just the "fan" in the blower rubbing against the housing. It gets dry in there, and there's no way to lube them. Let me guess, the sound changes all the time as well? If yours does what mine did, it will just quit on you one day as mine did today. The reason most people don't have blower issues is they don't use the things! Anyway, I would just run it until it quits, and like you said, you can confirm it's working by putting your hand by the vents. By the way, it isn't as easy to take out as I thought it would be, but not the worst thing I've ever done either. It's just tight getting to the screws, etc. Good for you for using the blower, and I'm hoping my replacement is quieter.

Fibersport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fibersport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 1:04am
Not to challenge anyone, just would like to make a correction for those that followed Pete's engineering analysis on electrical load and the horsepower loss. Pete, you're off on your wattage, should be 36 watts (3A x 12v). I've looked around and found that a 60 amp alternator draws about 1.5 hp, the 3 amp blower really wouldn't add that much draw, in the order of 0.056 hp (36W x 0.00134). Add the two together and you end up with about 1.556 hp.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2011 at 11:18pm

It's Sunday afternoon, July 10, 2011, and I just took the blower off my '98 Ski Nautique. In fact, the thing that brought me to your post was I did a Google search for "Ski Nautique blower" to see how much they are. I can tell you this, your blower sounds just like mine did. I don't know what's inside the blower, but I doubt there's a bearing in there. I think what you're hearing is just the "fan" in the blower rubbing against the housing. It gets dry in there, and there's no way to lube them. Let me guess, the sound changes all the time as well? If yours does what mine did, it will just quit on you one day as mine did today. The reason most people don't have blower issues is they don't use the things! Anyway, I would just run it until it quits, and like you said, you can confirm it's working by putting your hand by the vents. By the way, it isn't as easy to take out as I thought it would be, but not the worst thing I've ever done either. It's just tight getting to the screws, etc. Good for you for using the blower, and I'm hoping my replacement is quieter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 4:38am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

DANG! I dont have any other option... I Think

Well, you do but it requires reading all the responses in this thread!!! D you have a problem with that??

All you are doing is talking about horsepower and watts and what not! Basically Stuff half of the people dont care about. How is talking abut the horsepower loss while running the blower while under power in a thread about something COMPLETELY different help me????

The CCF path is rarely a straight line. You can learn more here by accident than by design from most other sources, nothing wrong with a little extra background or an opportunity to for others to get some of their questions discussed also. Its not always just whats in it for YOU.

Ya thats fine, but then he cant go and blame me for not reading the posts!
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 2:50am

Well, you do but it requires reading all the responses in this thread!!! D you have a problem with that??

All you are doing is talking about horsepower and watts and what not! Basically Stuff half of the people dont care about. How is talking abut the horsepower loss while running the blower while under power in a thread about something COMPLETELY different help me????

The CCF path is rarely a straight line. You can learn more here by accident than by design from most other sources, nothing wrong with a little extra background or an opportunity to for others to get some of their questions discussed also. Its not always just whats in it for YOU.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 2:27am

Sorry,   Thought you meant this type of Blower.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2011 at 4:18pm
Like i said before... What do you think i am doing!

I know about the vent system while moving and i know lifting the engine cover is a good idea. Its common sense. I know why the blowers are there too.

I was forgetting about this, but then some moron wanted to get all scientific with this and see there are only ONE blower not blowers. Then another idiot said i wasn't reading the posts. If i wasn't reading the post how would i respond to the posts and i wouldn't be getting a new blower.

And yes the BLOWER is cheap, but they should not be as loud as mine. They are pretty quiet when new.

So thanks to all who helped and not thanks to who all didn't. I am getting a new BLOWER and will install it and it will be quiet.

If anyone else responds to this post saying i am not listening... They are the ones that keep going on with this whole thing because i READ THE POSTS and i FOLLOWED what they told me to do!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2011 at 2:05pm
wonder the same Tim...its a blower!!! $50 go buy a new one a forget about it!!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2011 at 1:46pm

You got an explanation as to what is causing your noise, as well as the probable root cause as to why the blower is starting to fail. You even got some insight into the technical parameters involved. You also got good advice as to what to do (buy a new one and replace it) and where to get it. Seems like this thread has come full circle... why is it still going?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2011 at 12:53pm
I run mine intermittently. Once at startup, then, every time I slow down and stop to change skiers, I run it for a few. Then I'll run it for a few before I cover up the boat when I'm done with it. I agree that when you're moving forward you don't really need it.

Are these things like bath fans? By that, I mean, will a few extra dollars spend on a better quality replacement give you lower sound levels?
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2011 at 10:48am
The blowers were put in there because there was an explosion, one should always lift the cover before starting the engine just common sense,checking fluid levels etc.

These blowers are cheap the decibels levels are not going to be that low.
These boats have a vent system, when you are on the move fresh air goes through the front vents through the engine compartment and out the back so at this point you don't have to run the blower.
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2011 at 4:13am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2011 at 4:05am
I have read them all by the way. It is the same stuff i always here in threads like this! Dont use it and stuff like that or vice versa.

I am not, not going to use it because that is kinda of a risk.

But yet, i would prefer to replace it, because i usually have it on always...

Unless, i am missing something or am blind... thats what was really offered.

Anyways, thanks for the help to all who helped. I will replace it and enjoy a QUIET blower
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 11:51pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 10:59pm
DANG! Lol. What do you think i am doing. I dont have any other option... I Think
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 5:28pm
Because it is, go buy a new one and throw it in!

Blower
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

When you say blower(s) I think you really mean blower. Unless changed otherwise don't all Nautiques of the newer eras only have ONE blower on the starboard side just under the motor?

Ya thats what i mean. Same difference. Doesn't really matter who many there are. I am not trying to get all specific. I guess, now i am trying to ask why is IT so loud?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 11:51am
When you say blower(s) I think you really mean blower. Unless changed otherwise don't all Nautiques of the newer eras only have ONE blower on the starboard side just under the motor?

I love a good blower, much better than a good handy any day.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 1:16am
Thank you M3Fan! I will look at it when i go back to that side of the state on thursday!

If at one point in time the water did get up to the blowers would they be affected still even if it happened many years ago???
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 9:39am
That generation of Nautique typically has them mounted in the engine bay, just below the level of the floor. So, water topping off the bilge would do it.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 4:20am
No matter how many threads or post about blowers there are, there is always the people that say screw it or always leave it on. I personally turn it on and usually forget about it and leave it on. But this one is pretty hard to forget about.lol

Also, someone mentioned about water to high and got into the blowers...were are the blowers located and how high would the water have to go for that to happen????
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 10:43pm
Steve,
Safety with boating is always on my mind but, I feel the use of the blower is overly rated. However, I'm mechanically inclined and feel checking under the dog house for fuel leaks and odors is way better than counting on the blower. The running of the blower at all times I feel is related to people who are less competent mechanically and the liability insurance company suggestions!! As mentioned, my 54 and 64 has none!!! None of the older boats had them!!! It was common sense back then.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 10:25pm
Blowers get loud when they get immersed in water. At some point in time somebody probably let the bilge fill up to the brim in that boat. Replace it and enjoy the silence.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic