Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Tank Sending Unit

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Rich L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Tank Sending Unit
    Posted: June-04-2011 at 5:17am
Anyone know where I could pick one up for a '79 SN?
Rich
1979 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 9:19am
Rich,
Pretty much any marine supply will have one. I happen to like go2marine.com for gauges but Billy and Karen (mycorrectparts banner on site) could help out too. Just make sure you get the correct ohm range so a call is in order and not just a on line order. If you have the original gauge, it should be the 33 to 240 Ohm.

Are you sure the sender is bad? Have you done any testing to confirm? You don't want to become just a "parts changer"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Rich L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 3:25pm
Not 100% sure, but it acts just like the sending unit that died in my car...not working 99% of the time and kinda working when I hit a big wake. I'll pull it out and check it before I order a new one. Thanks for the tips on where to get one!

Just as an aside...I planned on doing this when I replaced the carpet. The PO put cheap black car carpet in there and with our golden retriever it would have been a nightmare to keep clean. He also carpeted over the rear hatch cover, which I thought was odd. Now I know why...I got all the carpet and the hatch cover off and found...yes, rotten outboard stringers. Now I have something to do this winter.
Rich
1979 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 4:12pm
Rich,
Before you pull the tank out to get the sender out, disconnect the sender wire at the sender and ground it to the tank. The gauge should peg. If it doesn't, then ground it to the engine. If it pegs now, then you may have a bad ground to the tank itself. If it doesn't, check the continuity of the sender wire to the gauge. Last, make sure you have 12 volts to the gauge itself. When you pull the sender, you should be getting a nice linear 33 to 240 Ohms when you move the float through full to empty.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Rich L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 4:40pm
Will do..thank you!
Rich
1979 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic