Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

S.O.S. - Part Deux

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S.O.S. - Part Deux
    Posted: June-07-2011 at 3:29pm
So, it appears my Correct Craft luck has run out - during my pre-lake trip check on my "new" boat yesterday, the engine dipstick came out milky white. I changed the oil at the beginning of the season to Valvoline 20w50 racing and we've been out 3x since for a total of maybe 12hrs on the oil. I had noticed the level was a little high the week before, but thought I had overfilled it a bit. No such luck.

We decided to flush out the engine and see how bad the situation was - changed the oil 5x until it looked nice and clean and went out for the day. Of course now it is reading a little high again. The boat runs pretty well aside from a little bit of rough idle/stalling when warm. I thought I had narrowed that down to carb issues but now not so sure.

So, I guess it is time for some engine surgery...I've read most of Vondy's SOS thread and think I have some idea what to do. I've never taken the heads off before. I wanted to run some ideas by you guys first:

#1 - try to determine location of leak
     I was thinking of disconnecting cooling hoses from the front of exhaust manifolds, plugging them, and then disconnecting the raw water hose after the RWP and plugging it. One of the plugs will have a schrader valve (air valve) installed. I'll use a bike pump to pressurize the system to 5psi or so. Then remove the spark plugs, come back and spin the engine over a few hours later to see if any cylinders have water. I saw a diesel mechanic do this test on a C12 Cat in a yacht a few years back to isolate the problem to a cracked head.

What do you guys think - good or bad idea?

The seller told me the engine was replaced by dealer in 2001 and has less than 100 hours on it. The seller had owned the boat for over 20 years and seemed reasonably knowledgeable. When I saw the boat in early March he had the cooling hoses disconnected per the PCM manual and said he had drained the block and put in antifreeze. The only strange thing I saw was that the gray plastic electrical box on the back of the motor had been removed - he handed it to me when I picked up the boat and it appears warped from heat. Now I'm wondering if the boat was overheated recently. It runs right at 160 now.

Anyway, of course I want to get the boat up and running asap. Would my best move just be to pull intake/exhaust/heads and take them all to the machine shop for testing? If they test good - look for a block problem?   

Or should I just come visit the Benjamin's this weekend and bring my sick boat along?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts guys. Feeling pretty bummed out here.

-Tom
He who dies with the most toys, wins

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2011 at 2:54am
Check out this thead Tom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyjgzPN4yg0
83Ski
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2011 at 9:53am
Thanks, Don! That video is well done. Those guys make the teardown look so easy! Thanks for the inspiration. Maybe if I'm lucky it will be something simple like that...I am hoping for bad intake or head gaskets.

Thinking of picking this up from SkiDim before I start the teardown:

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RM0059

I don't think i'll need the valve stem seals...but seems like a good deal for everything else. Can you guys think of anything else i'll need to R&R intake/exhaust/heads? Looking to get started on the teardown this weekend.

Anyone have any thoughts on the pressure test idea? Good/Bad/how much pressure to try? Just trying to narrow the leak down to head gasket/heads or block by seeing where the water shows up.

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2011 at 10:30am
more than once when they (seasoned mechanics) swap the intake from old to new, the intake will leak........
if anything, try a leak down test on each cylinder, its where the heat is created and most likey one of the spots that there would be a crack if any. but again, if water enters a cylinder, typically it would burn off and not be seen in the sump (pan) really, i would take a good close look at the intake and thrmostat area underneath where it is housed, ive found small cracks in the thermostat area before. its really is unlikely for a head to be cracked outside of the domed area between an oil and water passage, but ive been wrong in the past....just trying to guide you a bit
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2011 at 10:35am
sorry, it is possible that while the boat sits and if there is a crack in the dome area it will leak onto the piston and then on down. this will show up in a comp or leak down test
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2011 at 10:59am
Tom, Im sure someone more seasoned than I will chime in, but Eric's advice of doing a compression test (followed by a leakdown test if necessary) is a good one. A leak could be coming from the intake, exhaust, head or block... I would do whatever tests you can before breaking the engine down. If you do determine the heads to be the problem, I would not spend a dime on the stock heads- Id go with a fresh set of GT40p's for $400 instead and get a 40hp bonus along with it.

Edit: If you want to drag it out this way on Sat or Sun, do it! I cant promise you we'll get any serious trouble shooting done, but we'd be happy to stand around the boat drinking beer and speculating!
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2011 at 12:51pm
I'd start by taking the plugs out and looking for any water signs in them. Then give the engine a few crancks and see if water is coming out the cylinders. Then do the leakdown and compression tersts.

When first trying to start the engine did it crank easily or hesitated then cranked?
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2011 at 2:55pm
Thanks for the continued input guys. I will check out the plugs/cyls and see what I find. I have a compression guage but nothing set up to do a leakdown test (yet).

The motor cranks easily and fires right up. I didn't notice any hesitation on starting. Runs quite well other than the rough idle/stalling when warm. It does like a pump of the throttle to start, even when warm. I was thinking that is most likely a carb issue, the carb was replaced with a new holley 3 years ago, but I don't know if he stabilized it this winter (told me he drained the fuel).

Beers sound good Tim, better than crying over the broken boat at home :-) I will try and escape the honeydo list on Sunday...stuck at work on Saturday!

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2011 at 3:38pm
That sux Tom! We saw Tom in his new boat on Monday on Zoar. It looked real nice.

With the expertise on this site there is no doubt that you can fix it.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2011 at 6:12pm
and luch does bring up a good point, if it does sit for an extended period and you hit the key and it locks up, most likely the water is going into the cylinder...
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2011 at 8:10pm
I'm going to pick up a leakdown tester and begin the diagnostics when I get off work tomorrow. As I keep reading, the leakdown test seems like the best way to determine if it is a head gasket/head/cylinder issue. Question - the testers say to check cylinders at TDC. If I start with the harmonic balancer pointing at TDC and the distributor rotor pointing at #1, I assume (maybe incorrectly) that will be good enough to test #1. How many degrees do I rotate the crank to get TDC on each successive cylinder in the firing order?

Also, I was talking to a mechanic here on the Hudson, and he said that 90% of watery oil problems he sees are from exhaust manifold issues. Of course he works on I/O's running in brackish water. I only run my boats in fresh water, and as far as I know this boat has never seen salt. The manifolds do appear to be original from '84 with about 700 hours on them. Just curious, how long do these manifolds typically last in fresh water?

Thanks!

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2011 at 8:13pm
Hey Mark, thanks for the message...it was good to see you guys out there again...looks like I won't be out the next few Mondays....if you guys ever need a third, let me know!! Might be a couple weeks before I can give Joe that pull :-)

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2011 at 9:44pm
an exhaust manifold leaking into the engine would put water in the cylinders. That would be the first thing to check if you find any. Usually water goes on the lower ones on the back of the engine as it's tilted.

I wouldnt bother with the leakdown test as there are too many factors than could give you a missleading lecture, such as worn rings or burnt valves. Also if you test at TDC you wont be checking on the lower part of the sleeve.

just my thoughts.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2011 at 10:04am
Tom, run a compression test first- that will tell you which cylinders to look at more closely (with a leakdown test). When performing a leakdown test, you want both valves on that cylinder to be closed. Youre looking for where air is escaping (where its not supposed to).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2011 at 10:07am
TR, wtf, you usually are still dreaming about marrying that girl of yours at this time of the morning...dont worry she will say yes someday. lol
did you get the sisters boat going?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2011 at 10:40am
Ha, Im always up by now, Eric- Im just usually on the road! Got the day off today. Marriage? You relax!

Yes, Sage's boat is going (for the most part)- thanks again! Its not running quite up to par at the moment, but the problem is unrelated to F/N/R so Im guessing the tranny has nothing to do with it.
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 1:39am
Started looking things over more closely tonight. Gave up on the leakdown testing for now after reading the above posts. I am now leaning towards further an exhaust issue - perhaps riser gaskets.

Drained oil and it didn't seem very watery/milky looking. We ran 12 gallons of gas through the boat since last oil change, so I don't think there is a "major" leak.

Pulled all the plugs and they looked super clean, almost too clean based on my reading on this site. Insulators were almost white. Except for #6 which was strangely black/wet and fouled. Seemed wet with fuel but it may have been water.

Spun the motor over with plugs out and didn't see water come out of any cylinders after sitting for the last 5 days.

Did a cold compression test (couldn't warm her up in the driveway, neighbors don't like the sound of a 351 at 9pm, go figure). Came up with 110 - 135psi on all cylinders. #6 actually had the highest reading, so not sure what is up with the fouled plug. Test gives me hope for no head gasket/cracked head or cylinder issues.

Looked more closely at the outside of the manifolds. I can see some light rust trails leading down from the riser gasket area.

Came back to this site and did some more reading. Thought more about how the boat is running. She idles rough, starts hard when warm(requires a pump on throttle), and has some white smoke out exhaust when warm. The risers run a little hot (uncomfortable to touch more than ten seconds).

I did also find some water drops on the exterior of the tranny cooler tonight, I think the joint on the top end is leaking to the outside. Also not that happy with the raw water strainer gasket (seems hardened), I think I may be getting air from those two spots causing some of the white smoke. Don't think this has anything to do with the watery oil though. And the temp gauge is steady at 160.

The clean plugs and rough idle/hard start + white smoke and rust trails from the riser gasket area have me leaning in the exhaust manifold/riser gasket direction. Going to do a hot compression test in the morning and then tear off the exhaust to have a look. Still not sure what is up with the fouled plug on #6. Going to put in some new plugs before firing her up tomorrow am just for the heck of it.

Any thoughts guys?

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 2:47am
Warm up the engine connected to a water hose, you could disconnect the #6 plug wire to see if the cylinder is igniting.
After shutdown take the plug out and crank to see if any water is going out. Maybe the leak appears when hot.

You should start pondering how much time you can/want to invest in solving this issue as a teardown might be in order. You could have the manifolds tested, but if they check out OK you're going for the engine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 10:46am
white means lean, maybe like Luch desribes that number 6 not firing?
your plugs should be a nice tan color, a lean engine will heat up, but also a lack of fuel which leans more towards a fuel issue.
white means fuel, black means ignition
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 11:40am
Tom - I also had a single plug that kept fouling. The cause was worn valve stem seals (they were hardened & cracked). I put new seals in & problem is completely solved.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 1:23pm
Thanks guys. I will fire her up today and see what the compression numbers look like hot, also try unplugging #6 to see what happens.

I'm overdue for some pics on this thread. A little blurry but here they are:

Fouled plug 6:

Other port side plugs:

Starboard side plugs, look very clean (too clean?):

Suspect Starboard manifold riser gasket:

Port manifold:

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 1:33am
Hmmm, hot compression checked out...6 cyls at 125psi, two at 120psi. I guess that eliminates a head gasket/head issue?

Other stuff - Trying to figure out the fouled plug on #6 - Installed a new set of Autolite 24's gapped to .035, tried pulling some plug wires at idle, she definitely idles rough when warm, strangely #5 and #1 didn't seem to make much difference when pulled but the other plugs dropped rpm considerably. The cap and rotor look a little tired, I think I am going to change rotor cap and wires just for the heck of it. Discovered that the timing was way advanced - like 20degrees BTDC at idle. Weird, but she backfires on acceleration (no load in driveway) when I set it at 6 degrees. Hoping the cap/wires are the problem with #6.

Also noticed fuel leaking from the plug over the secondary float adjustment. Can this be fixed by rebuilding carb? I'm debating springing for a new Holley to see if it fixes the idle issues + take care of that fuel leak - makes me nervous.

Anyway I'm getting off topic - I think my next step on the water in crankcase issue is to pull the exhaust manifolds, have them checked out and reinstall with new gaskets. If that doesn't fix the issue, I guess the next step is to pull the intake manifold and check that gasket out. Do you guys agree? Or am I being premature thinking that the heads and head gaskets are ok based on compression test?

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 2:45am
if you had not water come out the cylinders, most likely the exhaust manifolds are ok and you have either an engine problem such as leaky intake gasket, a cracked head above the comp. chamber or a cracked sleeve below the piston.

do you winterize this boat? did you ever overheat the engine?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 9:46am
im with Luch, at some point you would notice a hydrolock if the exhaust manifolds were leaking, Yes they do look like they are leaking and need to be addressed, but, how is the oil now after a few runs?
im still leaning towards the intake as being the culprit
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 10:55am
Thanks guys, really appreciate the continued input!

So, you guys are thinking my next step is to pull the intake and check it out? After my last trip to the lake (6hrs on water) the oil level appeared slightly elevated (1/2 qt maybe) but not milky at all.

Again, I just bought the boat in March, so can't say if it was overheated recently or winterized correctly. However, when I first went to look at the boat in early March it appeared that the block had been drained and filled with antifreeze per the manual. The PO had the boat for 20 years and seemed to know what he was doing with winterization, but I still really have no idea since the boat is new to me.

Also, the motor was replaced by Nautique dealer in 2001 (I have receipts), and according to the PO has about 100 hours on it. As far as I can tell the intake has not been removed recently. How likely is it for the intake gasket to go bad? I'm a little nervous about pulling it as they sound difficult to install, but I guess I don't have much of a choice at this point!

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 12:39pm
Tom,

Just to throw a curve ball at you. Is there a possibility your carb is leaking excessively, to the point where gas is getting into your crankcase? With that really fouled plug, and hard warm startup, I'd say you definitely have a fuel leak issue. A leaky carb can load up the engine, and make it tough to start. If it leaks enough, it can get past the rings into your crankcase too. Was that really fouled plug towards the back?

Next time you have your motor running, carefully remove the spark arrestor. Then shut the motor off. Tilt the choke plate if you have to and look down all 4 barrels. If you see fuel continuing to drip, then you have some kind of carb issue.

I'd tend to want to look at your carb before pulling the intake manifold, as it sounds like you could have issues there anyway, especially if you are no longer seeing obvious signs of water.
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 8:25pm
Hey Brian, thanks for the input!

I agree that the carb seems like the likely culprit for my drivability issues. I have looked down the barrels while she is idleing, but didn't see any dripping going on. Haven't looked after shutdown - I'll check that. Although it seems weird that the boat wants a pump on the throttle to start when hot if it is already flooded.

My guess is that the idle and transition circuits may be dirty, and I'm not happy about the fuel leak from the float adjuster plug (on closer inspection someone had tried to repair it in the past with silicone), so I just ordered a new carb from SkiDim, just to eliminate those factors and take care of the safety issue.

The fouled plug was center forward on the port side (#6), not sure but I'm hoping it is a wire/cap issue since the compression test was good. Also ordered up new dist cap and wires-ones on the boat look pretty old.

I should have the parts for the weekend - we'll be taking the boat out again since I didn't see any obvious signs of water in the oil when I drained it last time. Hopefully she'll run right and I can concentrate on finding the water leak...I also ordered up gaskets for the intake and exhaust manifolds/risers, going to pull them off and check everything out if the water reappears after this weekend.

Thanks again everyone, stay tuned...

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2011 at 2:58am
Dont want to be hard on you but I'd wait a little for ordering unneeeded parts as you might be saving for some more expensive later.

Concentrate at one issue at the time, the oil/water issue is the most important I think. Then you play-tune it, carb and ignition.

How does the oil look now?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2011 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by 76tique 76tique wrote:

So, you guys are thinking my next step is to pull the intake and check it out? After my last trip to the lake (6hrs on water) the oil level appeared slightly elevated (1/2 qt maybe) but not milky at all.

1/2 of quart of water would really make a big foamy mess after 6hrs of run time, wouldn't it? If there was water really getting in there.

Could anything else cause his initial milky condition, built up condensation? Bad PCV or something?
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 2:30am
Guys, thanks so much for your continued comments on my issues. Luch, I agree that unnecessary spending on parts would be foolish by me at this point. However, I have given some more thought to things. Brian, thanks for continuing to spur on the thought process here.

Not sure how much water it would take to be noticable in the oil. However, the last time I drained it (after 6 hrs on the lake) I didn't see any evidence of milkiness. I'm not actually 100% positive that the oil level was elevated after my last time out, as it looked ok with the boat in the water but measured higher on the trailer. I'm thinking that it might not be quite level on the trailer. Lately I have been thinking there may not have been any water as it seems to me it wouldn't take much to be noticeable.

Also, I have given more thought to what happened the day before I found the milky oil. Right at the end of the day, the boat was idleing very rough and stalled when my buddy was about to put it in gear to give me a pull. He was unable to start the boat and was having trouble getting it to crank with me in the water. We had been having trouble starting the boat all day due to a bad negative battery cable connection (which I have since fixed.)

I got back on board the boat, fiddled around with the negative connection, and got the boat to crank, but just barely and after a lot of fiddling. After several tries, it finally cranked fast enough to start and we headed back towards the ramp. We ran into our buddies (Mark Mel and Joe) just about at the ramp and shut down to chat for a while. This time on startup the boat cranked right over. We headed back to the ramp and pulled the boat as it was sunset. I found water in the oil a week later when checking it before heading to the lake.

At the time, I thought starting issues were all due to the bad battery connection. However, now I am thinking the boat may have been hydrolocked and that is why it cranked so slowly. So I am still thinking bad riser gaskets/manifolds on the water issue.

Is there any way I would be more likely to get more water in the cyls after excessive cranking with no start, if the riser gaskets/manifolds were leaky? As I am now thinking my buddy was cranking it a bunch with no start and me in the water before it started turning over slowly that day.

Amazing how complicated these issues can be, I am hoping with the new carb and better idling I won't be stalling/cranking so much.

I guess the two questions are - how much water in the oil to make it look milky/noticable? And, is my hydrolock scenario plausible? Right now I am just planning on running the boat after new carb/tuneup is complete and see if the hydrolock condition occurs again/keep a very close eye on the oil. Does this make sense? Should I be pulling manifolds to check first?

If you guys are still reading at this point, again, thank you all so much for any input!

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic