NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NGK TR5-1IX spark plugs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
HudsonSpeeder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudsonSpeeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NGK TR5-1IX spark plugs?
    Posted: June-23-2011 at 3:22pm
Hi Everyone,

For a Ski Nautique 1992 , 351 Ford Boss engine , I would like to try the NGK TR5-1IX spark plugs?

Anyone evr tried or sees a problem ?

Thanks to all,

Hudson
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 3:53pm
Not sure what´s your goal, but the autolites 764 are the correct sparks for that engine and cost 1/4 of the ngk´s...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 4:36pm
Yeah, explain what you think it will do or what your trying to fix.
Just don't put champions in it.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudsonSpeeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 6:06pm
Thanks for responding. The reason I wanted to use NGK plugs is because I work at a automotive dealer and NGK is our main supplier. I can get them at cost , so cheap.

Thanks
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 11:02pm
Ngk iridiums are good plugs.   Iridiums are shown to give you more power vs even brand new std copper plugs.   Yes, there are dyno charts proving it for those that don't believe it.

Beyond that, I have used them in my sportbike for years with great results. I have a few mods done to it and despite fairly extensive efi tuning, I still had a rich lower rpm a/f ratio.   It would foul out the stock dual electrode ngk's after a few weeks, but the performance of the bike was so good that I tried iridiums as they are known to foul less. Long story short is that they did solve that issue, and that same set has about 20,000 miles on them with no issues. It starts better too vs the std plugs.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 12:25am
They're sweet plugs if you can get them at cost. I know at our marina we chard 18 dollars a plug. Id never pay that much for plugs EVER
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 12:43am
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

I know at our marina we charge 18 dollars a plug. Id never pay that much for plugs EVER

I recently took my car to the dealer for an oil change, you know the kind where they tell you you have to spend $9,000 on other service for your car. They told me it was time for plugs and wires for a mere $500. Last fall I traded my other car in with 236,000 miles and original plugs and wires. I passed.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 1:41am
close to 100k on the F-150 and I got all the original stuff in there too. Runs great and gets over 14mpg towing the boat with the ac on.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 3:47am
Some vehicles have iridiums from the factory.   I know our v8 4runner had them factory installed.

No, they are not cheap. Iirc, I got mine for the bike from napa for like$ 9 each. Good thing I only needed 2 of them.

Anyone running std copper plugs on a car for longer mileage should bare minimum check the gaps. Platinum hold better gaps than copper ones.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 8:28am
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

Iridiums are shown to give you more power vs even brand new std copper plugs.   Yes, there are dyno charts proving it for those that don't believe it.

LINK NEEDED

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 9:47am
i talked to MSD about their buzz boz on a car and the iridium tips kept burning the electrodes, it may have been the platinums, but i was told you have to run the coppers with that type of voltage???
"the things you own will start to own you"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 12:42pm
Almost any toy, and basically anything with a carb you are going to end up futzing with the plugs long before you burn down the electrode on a copper plug significantly. The platinums and iridiums certainly have thier place in modern cars where for all intents and purposes they should never need to be changed (although good luck getting them out if you leave them in there for a couple hundred thousand miles).

Running a dyno test comparing two sets of plugs is pretty damn difficult. The small difference in HP could be just as easily be from the indexing or gapping changes and not from the plug design.

If one seems to resist fouling more than another the same thing could likely be accomplished by going up a heat range in the same design plug.

If it runs good now spend the money on gas..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 1:27pm
Well said Joe!
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudsonSpeeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 1:25am
Thanks to all,

Well I decided to get them at a great price, $3.90 each. I will post back with results. To be honest the Autolites gave me no problems at all. Just like to see if there is a difference.

Post later,

Hudson
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 1:28am
For 3.90 a piece I'd run iridium plugs just for kicks. Hopefully you'll go from 15 gph at WOT to 14!!!!
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 10:04am
on the new Merc outboards, it is a must that the plugs are indexed, according to a certified outboard guy, you have to keep trying them until they are indexed correctly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 10:07am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

on the new Merc outboards, it is a must that the plugs are indexed, according to a certified outboard guy, you have to keep trying them until they are indexed correctly

What do you mean by indexed Eric?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 10:10am
Indexing is pointing the ground strap on the plug in the proper relationship to the combustion chamber/block.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 10:15am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Indexing is pointing the ground strap on the plug in the proper relationship to the combustion chamber/block.

I got ya. I've always refered to that as gaping. You learn something new every day.

The merc outboards are running ngk tr55-ix plugs if my memory is correct. Indmar is also running them
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 10:24am
Eric,
Gaping is the distance between the ground strap and the electrode. Indexing is so the ground strap is lined up in a certain direction when the plug is torqued down. Since the treads on the plug and block are not oriented, this is a trial and error process. You mark the side of the plug where the ground strap is and then install it. It the mark (IE: ground strap) isn't in the correct spot on the block, then you try it in a different cylinder and try another plug in the one you just removed. If you're lucky, you won't go through 2 or 3x the plugs you actually need!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 10:32am
Ohhhh. Never done that with the new mercs I've done plugs on. Always just tossed them in there.

With how clean the new outboards run there's no reason these people should be changing their plugs each season
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 10:44am
dont qoute me, but it may not be the Merc engine, its one of the newer outboards that you have to do this on..I turn away outboards anymore unless its a pump change or a mechanical issue...i dont even want to get involved with them anymore, i see what this guy goes thru with them and he needs a case of beer at the end of the day....his shop is set up with a drive in tank for the boats, so he knows what he's doing and still has issues with outboards
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 11:07am

dont qoute me, but it may not be the Merc engine, its one of the newer outboards that you have to do this on.

Eric,
Its probably the Evinrude your thinking of, they have BRP's E-Tec motor's in them.
Same design as my new Skidoo E-Tec and yes, YOU HAVE TO INDEX the plugs on the E-Tec
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 11:16am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

dont qoute me, but it may not be the Merc engine, its one of the newer outboards that you have to do this on.

Eric,
Its probably the Evinrude your thinking of, they have BRP's E-Tec motor's in them.
Same design as my new Skidoo E-Tec and yes, YOU HAVE TO INDEX the plugs on the E-Tec

I hate evenrude for buying bombardier (or the other way around bombardier buying e-rude) simply because of the twin rotax motors they put in sea-doo challengers!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 11:45am
What the H@LL does BRP buying Evinrude have to do with rotax twins in a sea-doo????
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 11:47am
Nothing really
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 12:40pm
The gains were not small gains. They were around 6-8 hp just from iridium plugs alone on a v8. I don't recall if it was a ford chevy or a dodge motor I saw the results from in one online instance.   No other changes other than possible indexing change were done. I've got important stuff to do now, (as I always do since there never seems to be enough time in the day), but if I have a moment of 20, I'll post a link.

Also, speaking with a well known dyno operator for bikes, he told me flat out that iridiums make more power in every case vs the std non iridium bike plugs.   

Yes, you could go up a heat range to get better foul resistance, but you could also have other serious issues if you go up a heat range.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 2:03pm

What the H@LL does BRP buying Evinrude have to do with rotax twins in a sea-doo????

Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

Nothing really

The only time I've seen a non Rotax engine in a Bombardier PWC or snow mobile is the very early Ski-Doos. They were running 4 cycle Kohler 7 hp's in them!! That takes me back a few years! Actually, those Kohlers were more reliable than the early 2 cycles!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 12:17pm
Wow Pete that is a while back. I remember the single lung Olympics. You had to be careful not to let your scarf get sucked into the carb.
That was the good old days when you rode for two hours then wrenched on it for the next hour.
At least you could work on it yourself with my new sled you have to have a computer to diagnose anything.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 12:55pm

Wow Pete that is a while back. I remember the single lung Olympics. You had to be careful not to let your scarf get sucked into the carb.

Paul,
So, you ran with the venturi up grade on the carb too!! How about the Wisco pistons? JLO, CCW and Hirth come to mind after the 4 cycles.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic