NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

do I need an alignment?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: do I need an alignment?
    Posted: June-24-2011 at 11:17am
Admittedly, I'm trying to make myself feel good about not checking the alignment.

This was one of those "to do" items that never got done. I've never done an alignment before. I've had my boat for 1 year with little to no problems (pause while I knock on wood).

I can turn my prop with one finger. Eric, Pete, et al, does the fact that it can be turned with ease mean I'm more likely to be in alignement than if it couldn't be turned so easily? It seems like if it were out of alignemnt, it would feel stiff and want to bind.

Make me feel good about this. I know, I know I should just check it. I've been busy with work, life, kids etc.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 11:40am
If anything being able to turn the prop that easy means your cut-less bushing is probably shot. Mine was pretty easy to turn but when I replaced the bushing it was much harder to turn without spraying some lube in.
I would disconnect the shaft and see how much play you have in the strut see if it's centered in the log and then if all is well just do a quick check with a feeler gauge.

This is all assuming the boat is out of the water.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 12:23pm
Don't worry too much Steve, before Eric came on this site nobody really talked about alignment. We've never checked ours and it's been 10 years.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 12:28pm
Eric strongly recommends not checking alignment. He likes the additional opportunities to meet us face-to-face whenever possible.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 12:56pm
i use to strongly recommend it when the economy was good. lol
i was just going thru all of my spare cases trying to find some good ones, most were grooved from MA and i have to get them re-sleeved
hw, you sure your not talking about getting laid?
"the things you own will start to own you"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 12:58pm
If you dont have any real side to side or up and down play in your cutlass bearing, and your prop spins not just easily but uniformly smooth then run it like you stole it!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 12:59pm
btw all those cases are pre-August 2007....the only ones i see nowaday's are newbie transmissions
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 1:03pm
i just hate seeing MA trannys, costs me more to rebuild them
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 1:06pm
before 1982, they never talked about AIDS either
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

If you dont have any real side to side or up and down play in your cutlass bearing, and your prop spins not just easily but uniformly smooth then run it like you stole it!

^IF THIS IS THE CASE^ (sounds like it is for Steve), I wouldn't bother checking it just for the sake of things.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 1:42pm
i will have to agree on this one. its the information age, and we have been informed
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 1:46pm
i would be retired by now if we didnt know about alignment, its just one of those things you dont think about, just like never getting pics of transmission shots....transmissions are the blacksheeps of the boating world
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 8:27pm
Steve,

Just do not beach it or pull tubes.

Sorry but I could not help myself. I should leave you alone since you are now barefooting and got my daughter into knee boarding.

Donald
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Steve,

Just do not beach it or pull tubes.

Sorry but I could not help myself. I should leave you alone since you are now barefooting and got my daughter into knee boarding.

Donald

Donald,
the girls are starting to realize that tubing isn't cool. the oldest is now skiing and the youngest is buckling under the peer pressure. I'm hopeful that this might be the last year of the inflatable in my boat.

Thanks for all of the input fellas.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 11:33am
"official tube boat" Marty start the presses
seen 2 airs and one master last Sunday, all three with tubes in tow
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 12:09pm
marty,
if you make the Official tube boat decal I will buy some!

ernest
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2011 at 1:58am
Steve,

My two girls have not spoken about the tube this year. This is since we have been working with them on the boom.

Donald
drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2011 at 8:35pm
what happened to the video on alignment that i used to see on here all the time? could someone point me in the right direction?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2011 at 9:56pm
It's in the "new" section.

Tell Tom where it is too!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic