Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

97' Sport Nautique Steering Cable

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Walstrob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walstrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 97' Sport Nautique Steering Cable
    Posted: June-28-2011 at 11:48pm
Hello CCF Community,

I Hope everyone has been enjoying their Nautique as much as possible this summer, sadly I have not. I still have to replace the steering cable on my 1997 Sport Nautique due to the fact that my boat's stiff-steering has finally gotten to the point of ABSOLUTELY needing replacement. Since I don't want to pay the incredibly high labor cost for my Nautique dealer to replace the cable, I am ordering the part myself and having a trusted mechanic-neighbor on the lake complete the task. Unfortunately, after paying my dealer top-dollar to tune the boat up for summer, they have declined to give me the part number/information for the correct steering cable.

Can anyone advise on what steering cable I'll need to order? Or, what I can do to determine the right part?

As always, your knowledge is much appreciated! Thanks

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 1:48am
Ben welcome to CCFan.

Steering Cable 97

Note the bolt spacing on the helm end to determine what cable to use as mentioned at bottom of web page.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 3:48am
Where in Michigan are you ?   The dealership won't give you the part Number ?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 9:36am
I really gotta check if i can get these, i ordered one in for a boat yesterday identical to the one above, it was a 17", the thing is if i ordered the cable on its own it was 179.95...so i opted to order the complete kit which came with the cable, the helm pinion and steering wheel mount.....it was only 20 cents more?????
do they have to be exactly 17.5?
it was teleflex, and thats list pricing
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 10:57am
Eric, the length isnt critical. The throw is- but Im not sure if the CC R&P cables are anything special. I suspect not if you can get it right from Teleflex.

Lewy's link is absolutely correct- but you may want to wait for Jody to chime in. There are certain year R&P systems that arent as good as others- and its only marginally more expensive to get the full kit (including the rack) rather than just the cable itself. The cables themselves are cheaper, so you save money in the long run- and end up with a better system to boot. Actually, you may just want to call him- Im sure he can source the parts:

Florida Inboards, (850) 215-1996
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 12:59pm
I have a cc cable here, i will pull it out and look at it
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 1:40pm
Eric, what year cable?

The rotary cables offered from 82+ are definitely special (longer throw) for CC. Im just not sure about the R&P's that came after that.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 2:11pm
I just replaced the 19.5' cable in my '93 with the newer style 20' cable I had to change the helm to the newer style to accommodate the new cable but IMO it was worth it. The 20' cable was $179 compared to $299 for the 19.5' cable, so even after adding in the cost of the new helm I ended up saving money. The new helm and cable are smooth as butter. I think these newer style cable are supposed to be built better too.

skier12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 2:28pm
Randy,

Do you have a link to the cable and helm you installed in your 93?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by skier12 skier12 wrote:

Randy,

Do you have a link to the cable and helm you installed in your 93?

Here you go:

20' HPS RACK STEERING CABLE

TILT HELM, TELEFLEX BACKMOUNT RACK

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 6:54pm
We have been selling that same Extreme cable for $165.00, back mount kit for $65.00. we have also been utilizing the 21' cable as it then routs cleaner and alows for no binds what so ever.
Eric what ya doing paying so much money for the cable??
www.floridainboards.com
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Eric what ya doing paying so much money for the cable??
www.floridainboards.com

I learned quickly that a phone call to Jody, billy or Eric doesn't cost me anything and 9 times out of 10 saves me from buying the wrong part or paying too much.

Pick up the phone people, these guys are the experts and they're willing to help!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

We have been selling that same Extreme cable for $165.00, back mount kit for $65.00. we have also been utilizing the 21' cable as it then routs cleaner and alows for no binds what so ever.

Jody, I emailed you through the site before I bought the cable/helm but never got a response, I had to get it here so I just ordered it from DIM. I knew you had a good price on these... should have looked harder for your phone number!

How does the 21' cable route cleaner? wouldn't it be too long?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 9:41am
Jedi night (Jodi).....list price minus, not list price plus, gentiles never pay retail
Randy, if you ever need his number, call me, i have it written on my wall with other imporatant numbers like Ricos', suzy Kims..etc
skier12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 12:32pm
It seems like the cheapest option is the teleflex replacement for $190, am I right or am I missing something?

Also what would the advantage be of replacing the cable with the extreme cable ($165) and back mount ($65) for $230 from FL Inboards?
skier12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 2:23am
Replaced my cable today with the $190 replacement cable from White Lake and wow what a difference. The boat now steers with one finger, I should have done it years ago.
Tarheel Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarheel Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 8:34pm
Ours went out today ('96 Sport) on our maiden White Lake voyage. Got a tow from another CC back to the ramp, loaded her up and took her across the street to Tommy. This past weekend, I noticed the steering was getting tight, especially when turning to the right. Looking forward to smoother steering.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 10:30pm
While on the subject. My steering is easy and smooth and I can turn the rudder both ways by hand when on the lift but I have what seems like a flat spot. This is especially noticable when making a left after making a right (dogbone) turn. Any ideas what's on the way out?
Tarheel Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarheel Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2011 at 2:26am
Harddock, might be some worn gear teeth under the helm that manipulates the steering cable. That's what broke on ours today, along w/the cable.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic