Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trans won't go in to gear

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bubela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trans won't go in to gear
    Posted: July-10-2011 at 1:47am
Just one day, the boat decided it didn't want to go in to gear. Is there another thread I haven't found that would give me steps to take to see what might be wrong? My father and I are fairly handy, and would like to solve this problem ourselves before taking it to someone. Just not sure where to start looking for information on this transmission.

My boat is a 1992 PCM Ski Nautique with the Warner transmission.

Any help or pointing in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
1992 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 8:48am
Bob,
Since you and your father are "fairly handy", this may sound like a silly question but we need to know. It won't go into gear by using the helm or have you tried to use the actual shift lever on the trans? Does reverse work?

Welcome to CCfan.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 11:00am
those are the same 2 questions i had
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 11:02am
Eric,
You're getting started a little late this morning!! What, did you get lucky???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 11:37am
Hah, I woke up a 7:45 today. no luck last night, just a damn good nights sleep
bubela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 3:45pm
Good morning guys! Thanks for the interest in solving my conundrum.

Yes, we shifted the selector at the transmission. Forward and Reverse do not work.
1992 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 4:55pm
Bob,
I'd say it's time to pull the trans. The first thing you want to look at is the dampner plate. It's the spring loaded coupling to the trans on the flywheel. If you're lucky, maybe it blew. If not, I'd be sending the trans off to Eric for a rebuild. If it's not the dampner, do, put a new one in anyway.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 3:23am
Thank god its not a Walters
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 3:33am
Not to thread hijack...but seeing as I'm looking into my own inboard here soon, what is it that makes these transmissions fail? Are there common/expected parts that fail at a certain age point/hours?

Is it hard use? A lot of in and out of gear? Etc?

Is one brand better than another (Velvet drive VS Warner) etc?

Again, I don't want to thread hijack or start another new thread.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 3:57am
Velvet Drive Borg Warner... Same unit. They just wear out over time. Maintenance and alignment are key points, but they are made to do their job. Everything has a life expectancy... That's why God made Eric!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 10:29am
really, The Borg Warner is at the lower end of the spectrum for its ratings in a ski boat, they are same transmissionis used in 30ft boats spinning much bigger props..a ski boat will see more shifts compared to a larger cruiser
I really would have to say under normal maintanance and alignment checks the average life span of these transmissions would be around the 25 year mark
bubela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 11:22am
So pull the trans and check out the dampner plate. If that looks good, then send it to Eric, ahy?

Just a little more info on the trans: It has just over 600 hours on it. Didn't have any symptoms before letting go, just one day didn't go in to Forward or Reverse.

What cost am I looking at to have Eric rebuilt/fix it? Would you advise I upgrade to a stronger trans? If so, what is the cost of That?

Is there a thread on here to removing the trans? It doesn't look daunting, but wouldn't mind having a step by step guide if one were available.
1992 Ski Nautique
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

really, The Borg Warner is at the lower end of the spectrum for its ratings in a ski boat, they are same transmissionis used in 30ft boats spinning much bigger props..a ski boat will see more shifts compared to a larger cruiser
I really would have to say under normal maintanance and alignment checks the average life span of these transmissions would be around the 25 year mark

You sound like the tranny man..................................ok...that may have come out wrong.

Great info though...is it normal for them to just 'let go' like the OP experienced...or is there something that should be looked for on a test drive other than smoothness?
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

You sound like the tranny man..................................ok...that may have come out wrong.

Great info though...is it normal for them to just 'let go' like the OP experienced...or is there something that should be looked for on a test drive other than smoothness?

A common tell tale that it is wearing out is a "dirty neutral" where the prop spins while in neutral. Mine spins more when its cold, and once it is all warmed up it stops. When I run it in the driveway I spray some WD-40 into the strut to lube the cutlass bearing. Make sure the fluid is nice and red and does not smell burnt. GOnna run mine till it fails or I win the lottery. Then it will go to Eric.

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by bubela bubela wrote:

So pull the trans and check out the dampner plate. If that looks good, then send it to Eric, ahy?

Just a little more info on the trans: It has just over 600 hours on it. Didn't have any symptoms before letting go, just one day didn't go in to Forward or Reverse.

What cost am I looking at to have Eric rebuilt/fix it? Would you advise I upgrade to a stronger trans? If so, what is the cost of That?

Is there a thread on here to removing the trans? It doesn't look daunting, but wouldn't mind having a step by step guide if one were available.

Bob,
Pulling the trans isn't that bad of a project. Most is self explanatory once you look at it.

Disconnect the prop shaft coupling.

Unbolt the rear engine mounts.

Loosen the front engine mount pinch bolts.

Remove the shift cable.

Disconnect the NSS (neutral safety switch) wires.

Loosen the hose clamps on the exhaust hose.

Use two small hydraulic bottle jacks under the aft end of the exhaust manifolds and jack raising the rear of the engine.

Unbolt the bell housing.

I may have missed something but I'm sure others may fill in the gaps if I did.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bubela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 4:46pm
Thanks for the step by step Pete.

After reading through, I do recall some "drag" on the prop. I think even in neutral, the shaft still spun slowly. So maybe there was evidence..

So is the "Eric" in question here, "Eric Lavine"? ..contact him for a repair quote?

1992 Ski Nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 5:37pm
Strange tranny for a 92..it should come with a PCM power plus transmission, with a 1.123 reduction gear..unless it was replaced at some point.
What prop are you turning? LH or RH?

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
bubela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2011 at 3:04pm
You were right. It's a PCM40A 040.11271 with the reduction gear. Not sure of the LH or RH prop.

I called Eric. I'll be sending it out to him on Monday. Plan is to pull it out this weekend.

Thanks for all the help thus far guys!
1992 Ski Nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2011 at 5:01pm
lets see your ride!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 10:18am
Pete, Bob here needs a link to the alignment video
skyway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 10:56am

Pete, Bob here needs a link to the alignment video

Link to alignment video

Here it is. Great stuff! Thanks, Pete!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 11:13am
Just to add to the removal steps - You will have to remove the muffler, but that is quite easy.

You can have the tranny out in a couple of hours if you have the tools at hand.

When putting it all back together, leave the screws for the damper plate loose until the tranny is on - that centers the hub. You can tighten the screws through the starter hole with a swivel head wrench.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
bubela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 1:42pm
Awesome, thanks guys. I had actually found it earlier this morning with the help of google.

Trans is out. Ordered a rebuilt unit from Eric and will install it next week/weekend. Also ordered the new damper plate from discount marine. Once it's all back together, it will hopefully drive like new again!

One other pesky thing that's bothering us is start up. There seems to be an electrical draw that will sporadically not send full voltage to the starter. Gota be a loose/corroded wire somewhere we think.. but haven't found it yet.

I'll have to look for some pictures of this boat. We've had it since 1993. Hope to have it another 20 years!
1992 Ski Nautique
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 2:09pm
Are you using the right kind of battery? There seems to be a lot of people out there trying to use Deep cycle marine batteries.(Common misconception) You need a regular starting battery.

1973 Skier
bubela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2011 at 1:35pm
We're using a standard battery, not a marine deep cycle. We've had this (low voltage) start problem for a couple years now. Battery was new in '07.

Here's a picture of the boat! I've since removed the bell and damper plate. Throwing a new plate in while the trans is out as well.

1992 Ski Nautique
bubela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 1:51am
Put the rebuilt transmission from Eric and new damper plate in. It was a pain getting the drive shaft aligned properly! Probably won't get a chance to put it in the water until next week.. but definitely looking forward to it!

p.s. anyone have an extra bolt that goes from the shifter cable to the F/R shifter arm? I snapped the end of over tightening it. Didn't realize so little torque was needed. (oops)
1992 Ski Nautique
bubela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 2:24pm
Success!

1992 Ski Nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 2:31pm
nice!!
hey call Marty Mabe, he will hook you up with the personalized dash plaque that goes below the right speedo....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic