NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rope Preference

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rope Preference
    Posted: July-11-2011 at 2:28pm
Hey,
I was wondering what some different peoples rope preferences were as far as length etc. I have a 60ft wakeboard rope and 75 ft ski rope. I like to slalom with the 60ft wakeboard and have been switching back between 55-60 on both trying them out.

What is the benefit of a longer rope other than further back from the crest of the wake. You get less stretch on a shorter rope too right?

Is a longer rope better for teaching people (75) or shorter(60)?

Also as a side note question, when I bought my ski rope I thought it had a floating handle. It does not which is annoying. Does anyone know where I can get something that will make it float or have a method for making it float? Or should I just upgrade and get a handle that will float and get rid of it (It wasnt expensive, a 40$ proline setup). If handle upgrade is best what do you reccomend?

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 2:48pm
Bottom line is that it's going to be YOUR personnal preference. A wakeboard rope has little or zero stretch where as a salom rope will. I was going 75'rope when I went with 81nautique last year and after he watched me he suggested I go at 22'or 28' off. That change not only felt better but Alan said I looked better and that I had better control of the ski. That simple change was all it took for me. I enjoy slaloming much more and the wakeboard has taken a back seat. The adrenaline rush is much higher on the 2x4 than it is on the peice of plywood.

I've used Alan's advice to me on other folks who said they could slalom but haven't in years. They too liked a shorter jump as there is allot less rope bounce and slack.

Can't help you on the slalom handle as mine sinks too but is just something that I put up with.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 3:02pm
I would always take the 15' section off and use it for walking my dog, when i had one.

Unless your jumping, 75' is useless, and Slalom its a hindrance to learning. I'd rather teach new skiers at 60'.

75 is good for footing, but you best have a different grade of rope.

75' even sux for tubing.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 3:23pm
Ya, I kind of felt that way too about 75 but it just seems to be such an industry standard for ski ropes I thought I was missing something. I use my 60FT wakeboard rope for pretty much everything and sometimes I take 5 off for a little bigger wake and slalom. Still working on that handle issues. Maybe I will just upgrade to something nicer. All I can find is a little Kwik tek bobber looking thing, it looks dumb.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 4:28pm
Slalom handles sink. That's the way it is. I don't know why, but that's the way it is. If you find a slalom rope that floats, you will have downgraded, not upgraded. 75' is a standard slalom rope. It is the same length as the buoys are wide (37.5 feet each way from the center of the pylon. Most people take the off the first loop, 15 off for a 60 foot line. I would not slalom with a non-stretch wakeboard rope. You can do it, but then when you use a real slalom rope, it just wont' feel right.

I wouldn't wakeboard with a ski rope. Here it makes a huge difference. The non-stretch rope is like being on the end of a wire. You can move one side to another just by twisting the handle in you hand. You can fully load the rope help to get height and distance. Most recreational wakeboards should be using a rope in the 60 to 75 foot range. The pros often us 85 feet and so the amateurs think it is a good idea, but usually it is not.

My $.02. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 5:13pm
alright, thats some good advice and it makes sense. I like the 60ft distance from what I have experienced for slalom, maybe I will just live with the non float rope.
I have never wakeboarded with the ski rope as I usually use the 60ft wakeboard rope. I feel like I drag less coming up with the wakeboard rope. Is that crazy? I have recently switched to the one foot deep water start which is making it easier to get up. Maybe I should just drop 15 lbs.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 5:47pm
When I'm tired and lazy I use a normal ski rope for wakeboarding usually around 65-70ft in length. Length greatly depends on the boat/weight in the boat. I used to only wake at around 60 with our 90 ski nautique. But now with our sport nautique and wake tower I have been able to ride farther back.

If I'm NOT tired and lazy I use my no stretch cable wakeboard rope. I think I actually prefer the stretch I get from a normal ski rope, seems like it's more forgiving but there's a reason the pro's use no stretch. JMO
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 9:15pm
The no strech ropes do exactly what Brian says, and it makes a world of difference. A rope that streches means you loose your line in the air so everything gets a little harder because your rope isn't tight. Wakeboard ropes are usually set to the best spot on the wake, so that will change with from boat to boat. The Pro's ride long because they use a lot of ballast and ride fast, so they still have wake farther back.

Just to confuse y'all an bit, I foil with 80 ft of no strech and add a 5 ft section of light strech (poly e) wake line to take a bit of the shock out of the rope, but not enough to make it a spring. With the release it comes to about 90ft which works good between 24 and 26mph, I'll shorten it for new tricks and slow the speed to 22 or less. The little bit of give probably doesn't help me with new tricks, but my shoulders sure do feel better at the end of the day. I like the the cheap spongy handle that straightline packages with their basic wakeboard rope. Unfortunately I left it on the sunpad last week under my dark blue cover and it melted all of the grip down to where it feels like hydroturf now with no more sponginess. It also cooked the coating on my rope which was clear, but now it's amber colored. Got to love the TX sun.
laker220 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laker220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 11:43am
Wakeboard rope length is all preference and can be changed from ride to ride. It all has to do with where the best ramp is on your wake. Change the weight in your boat or change the speed and you may want to mess with your rope length a bit.

As for the slalom, I second that the 75' is purely for jumping. 60' is a standard slalom length for anything including the longest you will ever use in the course.   Do not use 75' for slalom and use whatever length works best for you and your riders when wakeboarding!
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 11:48am
Ya I usually leave the 60 out for slalom and for wakeboard. Has anyone upgraded handles on their lines or do you usually buy as a package? The ones on my prolines are the basic hard rubber honeycomb patterns. They are sturdy feeling but you must wear gloves or you will have a cool looking imprint on your hands.

Does your line stay taught when you do jumps on the wakeboard? I feel like mine gets slack in it. Not sure, maybe I am jumping too far forward and not laterally enough. OR maybe its a rope issue.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

Does your line stay taught when you do jumps on the wakeboard? I feel like mine gets slack in it. Not sure, maybe I am jumping too far forward and not laterally enough. OR maybe its a rope issue.

Line management is the trick to everything maybe even tubing, if you figure it out let us know and we'll all be great. That's what the progressive edge you hear about does for you.   Handles are personal preference some work better with gloves some work best without. I prefer to ride without because I already have enough gear to put on and the gloves I like would wear my handles out quickly.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 12:51pm
Are you sure you have a non-stretch wakeboard rope, such as spectra. Some of the lower cost wakeboad ropes are low stretch as opposed to non-stretch. If the equipment is there, then it is technique as TX Foilhead suggests. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 1:20pm
I dont know if its non stretch or low stretch, its been 3-4 years since I purchased it. It was a 60ft. 50 dollar proline. Do you have an example of a good non stretch rope?

Would it say somewhere on the rope? I obviously dont have the packaging anymore.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 1:23pm
Here is a great place for some great wakeboard rope. You can tell the no stretch from the other because it is usually really really thin looking. like a small cable.

EVO wake ropes
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 1:55pm
That's probably a low stretch rope, the no strech stuff usually retails for closer to $100. My son rides a Sraightline low strech rope that seems solid, his riding doesnt change if I switch him to a no strech rope, but he's only about 90lbs.

You want some sort of coating on it because it tends to stick to itself and will drive you nuts having to untangle it every time you throw it out. I like the platic/vinyl coverings that are slick, but they're not very durable. The cloth or braided coatings are more durable, but burn your hands if the pick up is a little hot and you don't wear gloves.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic