Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1979 BFN prop

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AnglersEdgeAJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnglersEdgeAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1979 BFN prop
    Posted: July-11-2011 at 5:27pm
Hey all, thoughti had posted this a couple years back but couldnt find the post. I ve got a 79 barefoot with a 454 in it and have put a new dimension wake tower on it. Looking for suggestions on what would be a good wakeboarding prop for this set up would be. Any help is greatly appreciated.
AJ
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 5:35pm
Heres your old post: '79 BFN prop

Do you wakeboard exclusively? Do you run with extra weight? If so, how much?

I would venture a guess that the Acme 1598 (13x14 3-blade, .080 cup) is going to be the best all around prop for the boat... but if youre running loaded most of the time, propping down to a 430 (13x13 3-blade) or 540 (13x12 3-blade) might not be a bad idea. You'll probably give up top end speed though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnglersEdgeAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 6:31pm
I do run loaded most of the time, approximately 4 guys, combined weight of about 1000lbs. And were 75% boarding 25% cruising. Not worried about top speed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnglersEdgeAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 6:38pm
Oh yea and i was runnin a 13x15 on it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 6:56pm
The 13x15 Federal would have been the original prop. Going to a 13x14 Acme 1598 would only spin a few more RPM- its actually pretty darn close to being a stock replacement prop... but it would be a world better in terms of holeshot and speed holding compared to the old wheel.

So by "loaded" you mean that you only have 4 people in the boat? In that case, Id lean towards the 1598 or *maybe* the 430. If you were loading the boat down with a lot of ballast, then you may want something shorter.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by AnglersEdgeAJ AnglersEdgeAJ wrote:

I do run loaded most of the time, approximately 4 guys, combined weight of about 1000lbs..

Before doing anything with the prop, kick out two of the guys and add a couple of girls. New combined weight of 750lbs will increase your overall performance (and the boat's). It will also make for a better day of boating.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 7:34pm
BTW

How's the boat running? I think that is the one bought here in Michigan (Flint).
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnglersEdgeAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 8:17pm
Thanks for the advice. Boat is running great! I have only had to replace the exhaust tubing and replace the shaft packing since i have had it. (other than maint. Stuff like changing the oil and fuel filter etc.)i will have to post some pics so you guys can see it. Its a totally different boat, keep an open mind though as im sure many of you may not like what ive done with it, but I Love it! When people guess the year of your boat and they guess 20 years newer than it is it puts quite the grin on my face. Pics up hopefully today

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnglersEdgeAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 11:20am
Couple more questions for you TullFooter and TRBenJ. What size driveshaft would my boat generally run(Trying to order the prop today but do not have access to measure the shaft)? And how the the rudder sealed through the hull? Is it just a seal on the vertical shaft? If so where can i find one to replace it?
Again, thanks for all your help!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnglersEdgeAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 11:32am
P.S. Posted updated pics on my "Diaries" post but they have not been accepted yet.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 11:36am
All of the props I mentioned above have the correct size bore for your 1" shaft. What are you trying to order?

The rudder has a packing gland, just like the driveshaft.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnglersEdgeAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 11:44am
Ordering a new prop today. Also want to order new packing for the rudder as when it is out of the water and i gently shake it side to side water inside the hull trickles out, so i'm assuming it needs replaced.?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 12:15pm
What prop are you ordering???

A better indication of whether the rudder needs repacking is the drip rate youre seeing in the other direction (lake to bilge)... but its easy and cheap enough to do, and good preventative maintenance. The rudder port that CC tended to use (at least on my boats that Ive repacked) takes 3/16" packing material... but its not a bad idea to grab some 1/4" stuff just in case yours is different. Mcmaster sells the goretex stuff a bit cheaper than SkiDIM.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 2:02pm
I'd go with the 430.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnglersEdgeAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2011 at 12:15am
Ordered the 13x12 .080 acme. Going to run it for the weekend and order another prop next week for back up. Dependi g on how this one does will probably determine whether i will bump up one more pitch on the spare or not. Thanks again for all the help!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnglersEdgeAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 7:23pm
Hey guys, ran the new prop last night.(acme 13x12 .080) One word, amazing. Woke my motor like it had a fresh rebuild! No vibration at all, stands straight up and gets out of the whole with a full load about 3 times faster than it did before. Its running better than itever has since i bought it. Thanks again for all your help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic