Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marine Audio System

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
83Antique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83Antique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marine Audio System
    Posted: July-15-2011 at 12:15am
Hey guys, looking to instal an audio system in the boat. I've replaces stereo's in my cars and such, but never done any boat audio...especially from the ground up. Anybody have any kits they recommend. And how would I go about mounting the head unit? Thanks!
natedog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2011 at 3:43am
what kind of CC do you have? is there a radio in there now? if there is they are easy to take out and whatever new cd unit you go with will have the cage that should slide right in i just put a clarion cz500 with usb and aux plug in and love it, has 4 volt pre amps (3 pair for my two amps) sounds great, let me know what you plan on installing, as far as sub and speakers and amps.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5628&sort=&pagenum=1
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2011 at 4:04pm
Boat audio is fairly easy, the big thing to remember is grounds need to run back to the battery, and you need to go overboard if you expect to hear much.    I did mine this past year. To solve the deck problem I run a powered iPod cable through a line driver directly to the amps. Works well, everything is hidden and as long as I have a good phone signal I have satellite radio and anything else I can find on the internet.
83Antique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83Antique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2011 at 5:36pm
I have an 82 Nautique 2001, and there is no radio of any sort in there. I don't have any plan yet, my main worry is the head unit at this point, because if we end up with a tower, then I'll know what speakers I need. If not then I don't know yet. Thanks.
83Antique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83Antique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2011 at 5:37pm
@ TX, So no deck at all and just an ipod straight into your amp? That sounds pretty cool actually. How did that work? Thanks.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2011 at 7:28pm
It works great, you can do it without the line driver but you have to use headphone jack for volume control and it doesn't sound as good. The bottom of an ipod puts out a clean signal, but its constant.   Originally I did it because nobody was making anything that controler the iPod better than the iPod itself.   Now that it's done, I really like the stealth aspect there's nothing to see but a hole in the glove box where the radio used to be, everything else is hidden.

malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2011 at 7:18pm
So do you just run RCA cables from the iPod to the amp ? Is there a cable that connects the bottom of the iPod to the amp? Edit found it....
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2011 at 7:21pm
Got it . Line driver that is pretty cool
Polar Express View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polar Express Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 3:02am
I'll second the need to 'overkill' the sound. I put a 1000w Amp, and plenty of speakers, and I was amazed at how little sound I got. I didn't realize that in a car, the sound is sort of 'trapped', so it sounds big, and in a boat, it's open, so you'd better have a gob of power if you want it 'loud'.

PE
1996 Sport Nautique

This is America, if you don't like it, go conquer another country, and start your own.

I'll keep my God, my guns and my freedom, Barry can keep his 'change'
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic