NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marauder 19

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 10>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Dig a hole in the front yard, bury the boat up to the waterline, fill the boat with the remaining dirt and plant some pretty flowers.

Your ex wife used to own that boat or something?
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 7:05pm
[QUOTE=DrCC] My guess is, the turbos are junk and probably the reason they were left inside the boat.

My only concern now would be the center tab falling off.
I would add 6 more big bolts to the center tab on the transom.
Dig a hole in the front yard, bury the boat up to the waterline, fill the boat with the remaining dirt and plant some pretty flowers.

Oh, and change the "Chrysler Powered" on the side to "Once Chrysler Turbo Powered"
[/QUOTE.

Drcc. After some thought I don't think that is the route I will take. But thanks for the vote of confidence.
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 9:19pm
If you're looking for a marine 440 you might want to post a wanted ad on the boat section of NH craigslist. I saw an ad on there about 2 months ago from a someone selling v-8 inboards. The picture was of a storage container full of old inboards. He specifically listed 440 and 318 engines. No word on rotation. A phone number was listed but the ad is since gone.
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 9:30pm
hahaha!!!    It's only timing, Bill.

Ya know, 2yrs. ago I had a complete "low-hour" drop-in, hook-up and go skiing engine for 1200.00
Keep it....from sinkin'
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 10:31pm
I have lots of time. Patience. Now that is another story.   Now if Bruce can sell those turbos for 10k and you can find me a drop for 1200 I will be set.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 10:46pm
If Bruce can sell the turbos for 10k, 62wood has a beautiful "New Old Stock" 300hp 350 Crusader.
Keep it....from sinkin'
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 10:52pm

62wood has a beautiful "New Old Stock" 300hp 350 Crusader.

Don't be jumping to conclusions,I saw him at GL eyeing Pete's new Dunphy flag He might right now be cooking up a story for Pam---
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 11:03pm
O. I. C.   I was going to say that Dunphy flag's gonna look purdy funny on a Higgins.
Keep it....from sinkin'
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 11:10pm
You may be able to do pretty well with those turbos seeing how excited some people around here are about them. Pete (Mr. Original) didn't even care about originality, although I doubt you'll get the $10k from him.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Don't be jumping to conclusions,I saw him at GL eyeing Pete's new Dunphy flag He might right now be cooking up a story for Pam---

Gary,
I still don't think Steve'd figured out his YH problem yet!!! Pam'e getting pissed from the cost of all the carbs he's ordered!!

I just today got the two rebuild kits in for my YH's on my 312. They do not seem to be that complicated. I guess I'll find out. Next trip is over to my Napa store to see if they still have some decent carb cleaner that the GD EPA hasn't banned!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 1:48am
I bought a gallon can at Napa this spring,the one with the basket in it.Fox River water is stronger I think I'm sure you remember the stuff of old where it had a water layer in it to keep it from evaporating,you'd lift the basket fast and see the darker stuff below? Well forget that,the new stuff doesn't do it,it now all looks the same.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 11:50am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

63, i beg to differ. a super charger will raise compression ratio thus low compression pistons in a supercharged engine, a SC is like a rotary screw positive displacement pump
a turbo merely increases air volume.
again i could be wrong but i specifically remember this in turbo school because i thought the same.
I may have to go back to turbo 101

My understanding is that compression ratio is a fixed number - the volume at BDC over the volume at TDC. A blower of any type increases the quantity of fuel/air stuffed into the cylinder on the intake stroke, giving more power. The blower increases pressure in the cylinder, not the ratio.

At least you took Turbo 101 - I'm barely past Oil Change 101!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Gary,
I still don't think Steve'd figured out his YH problem yet!!! Pam'e getting pissed from the cost of all the carbs he's ordered!!

I just today got the two rebuild kits in for my YH's on my 312. They do not seem to be that complicated. I guess I'll find out. Next trip is over to my Napa store to see if they still have some decent carb cleaner that the GD EPA hasn't banned!!!

The Crusader is still tucked neatly in the original crate, just waiting for the 'right' hull. ... not that I wouldnt take a Dunphy, but that late 60's early 70, SN hull HAS to be somewhere!

The YH isnt too far from perfection...(or as much as you can get out of a sidedraft). Overheating problem..I replaced the water pump last night..just waiting for weather to test it.

and I told Pam Paypal is a new investment company!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 8:23pm

I bought a gallon can at Napa this spring,the one with the basket in it.Fox River water is stronger I think I'm sure you remember the stuff of old where it had a water layer in it to keep it from evaporating,you'd lift the basket fast and see the darker stuff below? Well forget that,the new stuff doesn't do it,it now all looks the same.

I have to do the same since my YH carb rebuild kits from Daytona showed up. Per Billy, Berrymans carb cleaner is still the best and pretty good. I hope Napa can get it for me if they don't stock it. I remember the "good old days" before the EPA came dome on the stuff. If you forgot and left the zinc die cast carb in the cleaner too long, you'd pull out half of a carb body!! It was pretty caustic and I suspect contained sodium hydroxide besides the solvents. The sodium hydroxide was the base solution to the hot tanks as well. Man, you stuck an engine block in it and it came out clean!!

Gary,
What brand did you end up with from Napa?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

63, i beg to differ. a super charger will raise compression ratio thus low compression pistons in a supercharged engine, a SC is like a rotary screw positive displacement pump
a turbo merely increases air volume.
again i could be wrong but i specifically remember this in turbo school because i thought the same.
I may have to go back to turbo 101

My understanding is that compression ratio is a fixed number - the volume at BDC over the volume at TDC. A blower of any type increases the quantity of fuel/air stuffed into the cylinder on the intake stroke, giving more power. The blower increases pressure in the cylinder, not the ratio.

At least you took Turbo 101 - I'm barely past Oil Change 101!

Dave,
I agree. We need to send Eric back to turbo school and tell him not to fall asleep this time. The only difference between the super and the turbo is the amount of boost pressure. Turbo's are typically rated in inches of water column pressure whereas supers with the higher pressure are in the PSI's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 12:53am
My turbo experience is with diesels, and they definitely put out psi's! My Suburban with 6.5 turbo maxed out at about 12 psi, you can't boost more than 15 psi on those engines without something breaking. Cummins diesels can handle 30 psi. I'm driving a Jeep Liberty diesel now and I don't know what kind of pressure the turbo puts out.

Back to the 440 - I've been going back and forth in my mind on what I'd do with it. I think my first step would be to get someone with turbo knowledge to check them out - bearings Ok, oil passages ok, vanes in good shape and balanced. I don't think that would cost much if you could find a guy that might enjoy the project. If the turbos were in running shape, or could be for reasonable money, I can't see a reason to not install them.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 1:40am
It's NAPA's own brand Pete. If you were closer you could just borrow it,but I think it's cheaper to buy it than paying for gas!
I never thought much about turbo's,you know there is no substitute for cubic inches.But we have a Volvo with a low pressure one and that thing flies.It has as much hp as my old Mustang with half the engine size and with AWD I can even go out in the snow.They had a high pressure one too that put out another 100 hp.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 10:28am
where does the boost get measured fella's?
im on a mission now.
you guys are saying that a turbo will raise compression, im saying it doesnt
i am saying a roots type blower will raise compression
im not disputing any of this, but back at Ohio diesel tech, i specifically remember this being brought up
"the things you own will start to own you"
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 11:28am
if it raises compression (turbo).. and a roots style def does. most blower motors are low compression and most turbo engines the same compression as their non turbo counterparts . I would think that says that turbos dont create more compression otherwise manufacturers would build a different motor for turbo applications.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 11:59am
maybe it was a trick question, does it raise compression ratio, and obviously it doesnt because that is controlled by bore and stroke and is fixed.
i was always under the assumption that turbos increased flow and not pressure before the cylinder, thus boost, and a roots type displacement supercharger increased cylinder compression because it forced air, intake would open and the charger would pressurize the cylinder.
unlike a turbo.
a turbo is like a cetrifugal pump, if you block the hose end it will not build pressure and blow the hose, unlike a supercharger which it will build pressure and blow the hose
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 12:00pm
eric 101
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 12:16pm
Eric, I think you've got it right there, we probably were saying the same thing only mixing up compression (pressure) with compression ratio which is fixed as you say.

A turbo is centrifugal, but so are some superchargers, Procharger for example is centrifugal. The roots type direct displacement blowers are pretty amazing, they'll push air until something bursts on the other end. We used to use them for blast air for dust removal in a factory, had to have pop-off relief valves because if something plugged you'd blow apart the piping.

Does anyone have a picture of a twin turbo setup all put together, showing the flow from the manifolds to the turbos and then out? Even if not a 440 I assume it would give Bill a decent idea of what he is facing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 12:25pm
the old detroit 2 stokes couldnt run with out a roots, i remember scavenging, all in one revolution instead of 2 turns
we all learn and thats the purpose
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 12:34pm
Luchog posted pictures of a "bi turbo" Commander a few months ago.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Luchog posted pictures of a "bi turbo" Commander a few months ago.

Here it is, that helps!

351 Twin Turbo

Does the cooling water dump to the exhaust pipes heading out of the turbos, or does it dump overboard directly?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 2:53pm
This setup looks very similar to the one I have. Turbos blow air into a stuffer box around carb. None the less, it all seems a bit much and a little overboard (no pun intended)!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 3:13pm
You say overboard while I am sketching in my head water cooled intercooler designs and piping.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 3:25pm
Bill, obviously you need to do what you feel comfortable with, and the important thing is to get the boat in good running order for next year. My only comment - I took another look at your picture showing the parts you have - it appears to me that everything is there to just bolt the system up. So the only question would be if the turbos are in running shape. If so, when you get an engine it would be easy to mock up the install of the parts you have, see how everything fits, and make your decision then.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 3:55pm
That is the direction i see this going. Get a motor that runs and progress from there. Keep sketching Joe, i just may need all that info. Spoke with Art Cozier yesterday and he said there were quite a few marauders made back in the day. Upgraded Wildcat and didn't know why they gave it another name. When(if) I find the ID tag more info will be available. When I told him it was turboed he did not recall that being factory. I also mentioned it said "chrysler powered" on the side and his reaction was (sit down for this) "that sure could have been an old cypress gardens boat" apparently they gave high speed rides in big block powered boats. so the saga continues....
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 4:38pm
Oh and Bill, I do appologize for the yard ornament crack.
I was merely attemping to be humorous. No disrespect intended.

Someone suggested I do that with my old Mustang hull.

I do agree, turbos a tad overboard.   I still believe there was a reason they were left in the boat.
Keep it....from sinkin'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 10>
  Share Topic