NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starter Solenoid

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nautique5454 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique5454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter Solenoid
    Posted: July-18-2011 at 2:44pm
Replaced starter solenoid on my PCM 351 a few weeks back when the starter would only buzz. An easy fix and it ran great afterwards, but when i went to start up yesterday, the starter would not disengage. I had to frantically get to the battery and remove the cables. I am assuming the solenoid is stuck but am just frustrated this happened since it's almost new. Would anything cause this or can they just crap out occassionaly?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2011 at 3:04pm
where did you get it from? Someone recently had issues with an aftermarket autozone solenoid. Have you checked the voltage from the key to the solenoid? It should be 12 volts. If it is less then that will eat them up too.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2011 at 4:49pm
Deep cycle batteries can cause this problem. For starting, you want to make sure you have a regular (automotive type) starting battery. This is the one place where using an automotive part is ok and correct.

From another thread:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Deep cycle battery?

For the sake of learning Pete, why would a deep cycle battery cause that issue

A heavy amp draw (starting) on a deep cycle will cause quite a voltage drop. They have a high interal resistance and are just not designed for the high amps. The low valtage will cause a even higher amp condition (Ohms law) and burn/weld contacts in the start relays (especially cheap Aotozones! ) as well as burn/melt bad connection like his battery cable lugs.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 12:10am
I just went through a months worth of starter issues, one of the things I found was the new solenoid wasn't getting a good enough ground and did the same thing.   It took a while to get through everything, which I think was most likely a bad starter followed by some grounding issues with the new parts.   The solenoid on my Excel is mounted under the ProTec coils which are behind the pylon and all it's braces. To say it was a PITA to get to is an understatement. I ended up running a ground from a ground bus I installed about 5in from the solenoid because it was easier than taking everything off again. Once the Protec is gone I'll have better access to the area and I'll clean it up so it gets a proper ground like it should.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique5454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 2:50pm
Brand new starting battery, not deep cycle. My positive cable from the battery to the solenoid is old and wonder if that might be worth replacing? The solenoid I bought was from Autozone, it seems they have 2 options on the website, one looks to be generic and the other is "duralast gold"….I think I'll pony up the few extra bucks for that
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique5454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 2:51pm
Also, in regards to Jllogan's response, is it possible the ignition switch is faulty? Either jammed in "start" position or not delivering 12 volts to solenoid?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 3:24pm
This thread talks about ignition switch testing:
Ignition Switch

It's possible but unlikely the switch is staying in start. Bear in mind that the switch is only dealing with the hot side of your circuit. You have a B for battery I for ignition and S for start.

The B should always be hot, the I should be on whenever ignition or start is selected with the key. S should only be hot when in start.

Also test your relay for continuity. If it's always passing juice (with the key in S or not) then the inner contacts are already welded.

The voltage drop mentioned could be happening at the switch but could also happen elsewhere. Every place there in a join of wires, you have a potential drop and the older the wiring the more likely. Plus, the wires tend to be undersized from the start and when things get old they loose conductivity.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 4:50pm
I just saw something that might help, the instructions that came with my starter solenoid had the small posts reversed from the PCM diagram in my manual. I tried wiring it up that way and it did what your describing, it just buzzed constantly.   The wire that send the signal to close it comes from the neutral safety switch. That's also some thing that you can clean up the contacts on. Anyway, thought that might help.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 6:37pm
This site has several instances of people using any solenoid from autozone and having continued problems. I would not buy from them. There parts in general are bottom of the barrel, even the guys at my local autozone tell me Im better off getting parts elsewhere. I would get OEM from ford or nautiqueparts.com has. I am sure SKIDIM has them too.

As far as the key sticking, I doubt it unless it is physically stuck in the start position and is not returning to on. If you want to check though, unlook the little solenoid wire from the solenoid and put a tester on it. You should only have 12V there when it is in the start position. If it stays on then its sticking.

I would replace both battery cables. I put much beefier ones on mine (1/0) and it turns over alot easier now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic