Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

prices

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
tg View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prices
    Posted: August-17-2005 at 5:00pm
the asking prices for correct crafts in the for sale section are just ridiculously out of touch with the market.
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2005 at 5:52pm
Ya well, some of those boats are in pretty pristine condition, so you can throw the blue book out the window. You pay for what you get. I know of a couple places where you can buy some trashed out boats for $2500.00 or less, but you'll spend the next 2 years getting them back into shape, and get nickel and dimed in the process.
guest View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2005 at 6:01pm
They must not be too overpriced, because they sell. Welcome to a market where we don't sell sh*t.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2005 at 6:53pm
You can always save cash by buying a Mastercraft or Malibu or some other POS
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2005 at 7:02pm
Blue Book doesn't mean a thing in this market. These boats are worth what people are willing to pay for them. With new boats anywhere from $35,000 to $55,000, a $20,000 boat can be a pretty good deal, and probably pulls just as well. I can ski just as well behind my $4,000 boat as I could behind a boat selling for 10x as much. (although I do have to admit, the new boats are pretty nice)
ty3724 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ty3724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2005 at 9:17pm
I have been selling comp ski boats for 10 yrs used I should say and I always get more for my boats than book!
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2005 at 10:17am
Good one 79nautique!!!!!!!!

My nephew and I can slalom ski,trick ski, wakeskate. and wakeboard better behing my 87 Ski Nautique than anybody we've seen at our lake that's running a new boat. I'm not bragging, but it seems like most people are compelled to buy the new $45,000.00 ski boat with the rack and speakers on top just so they look good, but they can't do anything behind the boat. I haven't seen anyone ski to our caliper. The only thing I see is these boats dragging around innertubes with little kids screaming in them. Seems like a big waste to me. I'm not sure what statement they are trying to make....   
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2005 at 2:12pm
I bought a "classic" 64 American Skier here in the mid2G range with a new trailer.Not "state of the art" for skiing,but already had that many dollars of fun with it!!!

Ive also seen mid-70s nautiques on here in the $3500-4500 range.... AWSOME DEALS for a "cheap" boat! ....or you could buy a mid 80s I-O (yuk) for the same price.......
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2005 at 3:36pm
I agree that the prices on the used 70's and 80's boats are grossly inflated.Having been a correct craft collector for the last 25 years,I find the best value for your money is in the $4000.and under range.As stated above,these boats will do what a 50K new one will with a lot less technology and looks.The 80's 2001's are a nightmare with rotten stringers and flooring.Yes there are some pristine low hour boats that will command more,but when it comes to sell,the boat only goes for a fair realistic price.Remember,an asking price is just that!The selling price is what MATTERS.
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2005 at 4:36pm
you're right.....go buy a brand new bayliner instead
tg View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2005 at 4:46pm
boy   talk about people who get upset over their correct crafts value        of course the purchaser and seller negotiate the price of a completed sale     if someone overpays...thats their problem    but part of the problem is others see inflated pricing on the fan and follow suit      our 2000 dollar barracuda is just fine and is way more fun than the new 40 grand nautique
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2005 at 5:01pm
The market is drivin by what the buyers are willing pay.I think there are more people wanting classic older inboards because of the cost of new ones being so high and the older ones are starting to fall into the"collectable" market.
You do see fluctuation...where stuff seems too high but sells and great deals can still be had.That would indicate to me that the market is changing toward higher prices for older inboards...they appear to have been going up over the past few years.
And you won't be saving cash on a mastercraft( at least not post 82)...they too are fetching prices in the same range as correct craft.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2005 at 5:10pm
Intersting phenomenon. The popularity of wakeboarding, combined with the astronimical ( and rising) prices of a wakeboard boat have actually increased the value of older inboards. More people into watersports means greater demand. In general, the older boats throw up a larger wake, making them, in the minds of wakeboarders, more attractive. And, while perhaps inflated, the price of the used boats is a tiny fraction of a new boat. I have one acquaintence who sold his mid 80's mastercraft for more than he paid for it. That's not even getting back to the really old boats which only went for 3-8K in the first place.

As for prices on this board, I just think that people on this board tend to be fanatics about their boats, tend to keep them in good shape, and tend to put money into them. I'm sure one could find the same models cheaper elsewhere, but eventually would put the same amount of money into the boat fixing it up.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2005 at 5:27pm
So After going through everything and replacing the old parts with simular or better materials. I should just give the boat away at a lose to me. Have any of you priced a 315hp rev rotation engine, and I'm suppose to sell it for less than 5,000.00 sorry not today or next month either.
markski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2005 at 5:41pm
If you don't like the price don't buy it. a friend of mine has a Bayliner he will sell you cheap.
markski
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2005 at 6:17pm
I don't have an issue with the cost since I've already spent the money. My point is most have no clue what it realy takes and cost to restore the boat to like new condition. And in many cases mine include it is actually better now than the day it left the factory,

unless you think a 315hp engine is worst than a 240hp factory power plant.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2005 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

So After going through everything and replacing the old parts with simular or better materials. I should just give the boat away at a lose to me. Have any of you priced a 315hp rev rotation engine, and I'm suppose to sell it for less than 5,000.00 sorry not today or next month either.

Hey 79,

Just being objective, it seems likely that if you put a lot of time and money into an old boat, you're likely to sell it at a loss. No different than building an off-road truck, or a hotrod. You usually (not always) end up taking a loss. You do it because you love doing it, you get a lot of value out of doing it, and you get a lot of value out of using and showing off your ride.

Nevertheless, you support my point above - most of the people on this site put a lot of time and money into the boats, the boats are in good condition, and that's why the prices here are often at the top end of the spectrum - because they're worth it.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2005 at 6:53pm
Wow did I miss something? You mean I was doing this as a "investment"?? Man, and all this time (and money) I was doing it for fun. LOL
I really enjoy these 40+ y/o boats. I expect mine can make another 40 years. If anybody thinks it's not a good value, take a look at ALL the boats being built today, 40 years form now you think there will be a "baylinerboatfan.com" forum?
While I am sure I have too much loot in my CC, it was some of the best money I have spent. I don't think many here are doing this for a living or for profit. I don't think anybody here got upset because tg is concerned that the market is where it is today, but all of us know what these old tubs are worth to each of us and its different for everbody. While I'll say mine is'nt for sale, I would just have to replace it with another! and I am someone who if wanted could go out and get a new one, but the one I have is cool with me...... just my .02 cents
NO LONGER A MEMBER
stang72 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2005 at 9:03pm
Well...take a look 60's and 70's muscle cars...they used to be dirt cheep , but no longer so.An older inboard is like an old hotrod...we do have as much fun fixing them up as using them.There is a demand!!! increased demand=higher prices(economics 101)
There are still some deals out there,but finding one ,is harder today than it was 5 years ago.The great deals are most likely sitting in someones garage because they never use it any more.so...you could wait a couple years to find a turn key CC for cheep...or fork over the $2000.00 extra now and start having fun!!! Prices are now going to head down!
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2005 at 9:06pm
Whoops...type-o. Prices are not going to head down!
stang

The Super Air

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2005 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by stang72 stang72 wrote:

Well...take a look 60's and 70's muscle cars...they used to be dirt cheep , but no longer so.An older inboard is like an old hotrod...we do have as much fun fixing them up as using them.

Agreed, the Camaros, Cudas, Mustangs, etc. that I could buy in high school for a few
thousand can now go for 20-25K or more, and most cost less than 10K to begin with. Older boats are enjoying the same appreciation because of demand.

However, I have a buddy for example who spent almost 120K making a show quality 32 Ford Coupe. The car is only worth about 80K on the open market - not unusual. Similarly, guys buy brand new 40K 4WD trucks and put 20-25K into lifts, wheels, chrome, whatever. Yet, they can't get the money out of them.

That's my point. Add up your labor, and costs, often you'll sell at a loss.
Still well worth it if you enjoy the hobby, and enjoy the boat.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2005 at 9:57pm
BKH...that is often the case...might lose $ on the project...If I want to make money, I invest in realestate!Your right...it is all in the enjoyment of the whole process!

However,there are some project boats out there that if a person does the labor and not hire it out ...you can flip and make some cash!A 78 Nautique(needing stinger work and floor) went for under $1800.00 a few weeks ago! Ebay.

An example of a good project deal...Last year we purchased a 1962 classic with cc trailer on ebay for under $700.00.People don't want to drive too far to take a chance.I know some of the members saw that one!

Turned out , that the boat was in exc. condition with the exception of the engine siezed on the lake...broken rod connector.We are almost finished with the rebuild and will have about $2500.00 into it incuding the purchase of the boat and trailer ...There is a1962 classic for sale now (on this website)for 6900.00.I think we gained some equity!

Projects may be the best deals out there!And you learn so much!
stang

The Super Air

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2005 at 12:50am
Wow, great thread! I don't think they're any sides to be taken here, because nearly everyone's an enthusiast and/or owner. Our own little band wagon. But I have seen a few used boat prices lately which I thought were a little high compared to the current market, which tg might have originally been saying. BUT, I'm certainly not complaining, and not that tg really was either. And as a matter of fact, I think we should all hope that the sellers get the very highest price possible no matter how crazy it might seem to some. I'm sure it's not news to anyone, but the higher the potential across the board sale prices, then the more interest there is in restoration and thus further preserving the breed. Has anyone noticed what the old 60-70's Donzi's are going for? It's hard for me not to want to share the news of a great, i.e, cheap deal, when in reality I need to keep my mouth shut or if anything inflate the purchase price. This passion here is great.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Dixielegger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dixielegger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2005 at 12:55am
WOW! What a good subject to get folks talkin (almost as good as discussing current gas prices)! I have to agree with Stang to some degree. By the way, my signature says '80 Nautique but as of January it's now a '97 Nautique (which I bought local, less than 300 hrs, and paid well below book value). The '80 was a great experience rebuilding from the ground up, and although I only broke even money wise (which by the way to the originator of this topic, I sold the boat on this site, at higher than book value, in a matter of a couple of weeks), I gained a vast knowledge of the inner workings of the speedos, guages, prop shaft/seals, structure, etc. that cannot be found in some book and still used on the newer Correct Crafts. That experience has helped me understand how to properly maintain and repair my '97. I really did'nt receive the satisfaction of the work I put into the '80 project until it appeared as the featured boat (June?) on this website along with the comment "the boat took 1st place in it's class at the Sea World reunion" earlier this year. Man, did I feel like a proud papa. It was at that point that all monetary value went out the window. I miss all that hard work!
'97 Nautique in SC
72moparstang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72moparstang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2005 at 12:59am
I found a 72mustang on ebay got it for 900. the guy tried to get it running for three years with no luck telling me it needed an engine. Well thanks to this great forum I found he had the wrong firing order. The boat was in the water the next day. Its in great shape and the kids love it. I don't have the heart to send him a pic of the kids tubing behind it.

John

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2005 at 1:08am
Dixielegger...you have touched on a very good point!The learning experience gained from the labor you put into in the rebuilding process is invaluable!!! The main reason we bought the classic was to "learn"...myself and my sons!We have completly removed engine and parts and are learning how everything works!Hands on !!! And it's fun turning a wrench!

Moparstang
72 mustang for $900.00...way to go man!!!I have a 72 also...It is a ball to run!!!
stang

The Super Air

randall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2005 at 1:08am
Demand is there. I have about 4 standing offers for my 1973 Mustang - literally. Highest ~ $9,000. I agree with many of the replies. My boat was some of the best money I have ever spent. I have a great boat that is going up in value and I can look forward to my kids growing up over the years skiing and enjoying it. I like the boat more as time goes by. I get complements everywhere I go with it. But, I am not afraid to spend money on it to keep it in perfect working order. The owner of a Correct Craft dealership in state told me it was too small for a family and was just a lawn ornament now...HA!

I put a new ACME prop on this winter and it is ripping skiers out of the water. I couldn't be happier with it. Now GAS prices are really hurting now!

Picture included.
Dixielegger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dixielegger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2005 at 1:11am
John...I'll give you $950 for it!!

Just kidding! Lucky dog!
'97 Nautique in SC
S.T. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2005 at 2:09am
Randall,

I LOVE your boat. It is one of the nicest-looking fiberglass boats I've seen. I wouldn't buy it though because I couldn't bear to put a wakeboard tower on it!
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2005 at 2:28am
There you go...a picture worth 9000 words! 4 people who would pay the price! Demand!!!
Who would not want a boat with that kind of charactorRetro funky 70's style!

BTW...that thing would for sure look nice docked next to my green and yellow 72 stang!

People ask my buddy (who owns an air nautique)..." what's the morgage on that thing ? "

I get asked...What's in that thing?...where did you find that?...what year? Are those colors orininal?

Demand...you can't by a new one like Randall's 73.

And condition plays a major roll... a lot of people will tend to pay quite a bit more for pristine condition!!!
stang

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic