NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Secrets to using an oil extracting pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Secrets to using an oil extracting pump
    Posted: July-24-2011 at 10:19pm
I just bought the pela oil extractr 6000 pump. Directions to pump it 20 times and the oil should easily flow out. Not the case. I've been jacking that pump for 20 mins amd no happy ending. Maybe a drop of oil but thats it...help. Engine oil is warm btw
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2011 at 11:12pm
Steve,
I'm not familiar with the pump but I suspect it needs to be primed. What type of pump is it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2011 at 11:15pm
http://www.pelaproducts.com/description.htm

Pete it's the larger of the two round looking pumps in the link above.

I had hoped you'r respond since you have mentioned using one of the pumps in the past.

Frustrated as can be with this dang thing.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2011 at 11:17pm
i can confirm that the pump is putting a vacuum on the hose....it did suck a drop or two into the tank, but that's about it.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

scottsims1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottsims1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2011 at 6:51pm
I have one VERY similiar to the 14k unit on that website. I went through some "learning" curves as well with mine. I have to pump mine about 30-40 times to get the proper suction, but once it gets going it is Miller time. Are you using the hose through the dipstick? You may want to assure you are getting down far enough to reach the oil. I have heard some have a hard time sealing and have also heard the fix for that is to use electric tape to seal the hose to the top of the dip stick hole. I do all my trucks and my 05 Air206 and swear by these things. If you dont get it fixed ad want my brand/seller let me know. I paid 75 delivered for mine of ebay and would totally recommend my brand. On the site you listed ,it was like 139$ scott.a.sims@baml.com
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2011 at 10:32pm
So Pi$$ed. Scott, yes, going thru the dipstick. I tried the electrical tape. That helped a very little bit. I was able to actually get about a spoonful of oil into the container. I think i'm losing some vacuum from the seal in the pump. As you push/pull the plunger on that pump. Shouldn't I feel increasing resistance as the vacuum is created in the tank?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2011 at 10:46pm
Steve,
As long as the "dip" tube is below the fluid level you're sucking, you'll not see a "vacuum" leak. I suggest the biggest poly hose you can fit down the the dip stick tube and then listening to us about the type of vacuum extractor to purchase!! I have no problem with mine!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
scottsims1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottsims1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 12:12pm
With an investment like this, you likely got the low end. With all the uses for this extractor (boat, auto, even lawn mowers) Id do yourself a favor and get a better unit. 8122 said the right thing though, as usual. If it were me, I would want to first assure the tube was making it far enough down to hit the bottom. If it is, then you can pretty much garuantee you are loosing suction somwhere. I can do my boat in about 30-50 pumps total and it takes around 10 minutes if that for the unit to start sucking air from the bottom.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 12:59pm
That sucks , something does not sound right, you need to return that POS.

Been using the "Suck Up Pump" brand for many years and it only requires 10 or 15 pumps to get it going and a few more to finish the job. My adapter fits right over the dipstick tube itself, pull from there until it's sucking air then finsh using the oil change drain hose.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 3:01pm
ok fellas, i pulled the hose out and put it into a used oil container and gave it few pumps and voila...it pulled the oil out...not a pump problem here, but the operator.....is it possible that I have too much hose shoved down into the oil pan and that the end of the hose gets curled around and back up and is sitting above the oil level in the pan? at rest, will the oil pan be "full" of oil? Ideally, i'm guessing I want the end of that hose to be at the lowest part of the pan (rear of the slanted engine_)the engine is probably a half quart low, but that shouldn't be enough for it not to pull at least some oil (if not most of it) out.

sorry to drag you motor heads into this, but the only scenario that I can see as being possible.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 3:36pm
Steve,

If your motor has an oil drain hose from the bottom of the oil pan try sucking the oil from it otherwise just push the hose down the dipstick tube while the pump has vacuum, you should feel resistance or start seeing oil extracting once you are close to where you need to be.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 1:51am
Steve, if your boat is equipped with that 'oil drain hose' I help it by putting a piece of vacuum hose on the end of my blower on my air compressor, stick it in the dipstick tube and start blowing! I can empty that sucker in less than 2 minutes!
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 10:51am
my boat's quick drain oil hose was removed by the previous owner. I suspect it was because it was leaking at the fitting at the pan. Another guess is that PO thought a standard oil pan plug (maybe a size up) might stop the leak. It didn't. Some on here are fans of the oil extracting pumps, but IMO it's hard to beat the quick drain hose. Getting the QD hose re-installed was an offseason project that didn't get done last year. I guess there's always this upcoming season.

Have been slammed with work lately and havent had the time to fool with the extracting pump any more. Going to try to get it done tonight or tomorrow. Will post the results.

Thanks for your patience with me.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 6:36pm
apparently when i pushed all of the hose in the very first time, i kinked the tube (wire reinforced). that caused part of the problem. Cut the kinked part off and then used quinner's suggestion about pushing the hose in slowly while applying vacuum until the oil started to flow. that worked, but......I don't know why anyone would use this method if they have the quick drain hose. Exception (boat on lift or in water). I think there's a pretty good reason why CC put the quick drain hose on there instead of giving everyone a pump extractor. this method is a PITA no matter how good the pump works in my opinion. After pumping all I could get to come out, I removed the drain plug to see how much was left and I'm guessing 1/2 quart continued to flow out. I'm sure the vacuum hose could've been fiddled with to get more out, but damn I could've done it in half the time with the quick drain hose.
Again my opinion. Pete, i know you don't like my pump so please spare me about buying the wrong pump.   
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

Pete, i know you don't like my pump so please spare me about buying the wrong pump.   

Steve,
It's not that I dislike the pump you bought, I just feel there are better choices. As long as you got it to work, it's cool.

BTW, I have never had an issue with using a vacuum extractor. I have had problems with the quick drain hose!! They really aren't that quick and it's a lot of screwing around in and out of the boat and getting under it.
The vac you simply climb in, give the pump a several pumps and stick the hose down the dip stick tube.

My 64 doesn't have a drain hose and I don't plan on adding one. The 54 is a little different with the manual trans. Since it shares engine oil, you need to pull the cover off the top and suck it as well. I usually get an extra quart out of it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 1:27pm
The only thing I'd add here, and maybe you thought of this, is to remove the oil fill cap to let air in.

Admittedly, I have no experience with the pumps, but just from reading the thread, I noticed that no-one mentioned the fill cap. With that still installed you'd have a total vaccuum and no oil would flow. Removing the fill cap even speeds up the process when using a conventional drain plug.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic