NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boating memories with Dad

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
Author
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2014 at 12:35pm
Bringing this thread back on what would be my Dad's 79th Birthday. What a difference a year makes. This time last year, my daugter was in her second year of refusing to ski. This year, can't get enough. Spent Saturday and Sunday mornings skiing with my daughter and her young friends. She even guilted me into taking a run. First time in almost three years I've been on a water ski.

Yesterday I'm told that she got up on a single ski and rode 50 yards or so. Seems she was so excited to try one ski that she forgot her mother and I were in a different boat pulling someone else, so we missed it.   Apparently my Dad and I missed this one. There is always next Saturday.

If you have any stories of boating with Dad, please post 'em up.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2014 at 12:49pm
Great story Brian amazing how fast time goes. How old is Aspen now?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2014 at 12:54pm
That's awesome but too bad you missed her first up on a single. Why wait till Saturday, go out one evening this week!

If it wasn't for my dad I wouldn't know what a ski was nor a Correct Craft. He taught me to ski and taught my wife to pull me. Yesterday we went out on our two SN and had mom film me ski and in the back ground there was dad following in his Ski Nautique.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2014 at 1:34pm
Thanks Brian for bring this thread up again. I was just thinking about it last week after getting a txt msg from my older brother about needing assistance with Dad. Alzheimers is taking control of his life and he is making things rather difficult for my mom and brother. Not going to get into it here but it made me think back to better times with my Dad and skiing in particular.

The one and only time I saw my dad slalom was probably when I was 10 or so and we had a group camping weekend with some of Dads co-workers and their families. Capt' Mac had some sort of IO I think that was used for skiing. Learned how to ski behind that thing that weekend and was hooked ever since. It wasn't strong enough to pull you up on slalom so the men had to drop one. I was in the boat watching my dad as he popped right up. I didn't even know where he learned how or who taught him as his dad died when he was only 8. The life jacket was one of those vinyl dipped jackets that was too big for my dad but he didn't want to use a ski belt. He got up and then after the boat got up to speed he dropped one. Very cool to see my dad slalom and all was going good till he was cutting back towards the boat after a turn and wiped out violently. When we got back to him and he said he was done as not only did he slam the water hard with his chest, he got a double whammy cause the jacket slammed him as well. He was sore for a week and stated that his slalom days were over. That was the first and only time I ever saw my Dad on a slalom ski. Wished I woulda bought a boat earlier in my days just to get a ski with Dad. I still haven't done it with my girls but it's on my bucket list.

Hanging round with the Deen boys quite a bit over the last two summers only makes me wish I would have done it more. VERY VERY cool that Adam and Jackie have that kinda relationship. Make it happen with yours if he is still around and can or be sure that if you're a dad...have that ski with your kids. Pass it ON!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2014 at 1:46pm
My dad is still around and only 59 years young, however I only have fishing boat memories with him. He skied a little bit back in the day but one and only, first and last time he ever tried skiing on any of my boats was about 11 years ago or so. He refused to ski combos so we ended up trying to get him up deep water slalom like 10 times (he used to be able to do it apparently). After that he said he was done and will never, ever do it again. I've tried to get him out every year and he refuses 100%. He has no involvement in this hobby and I'm sure thinks that my passion about it is at least mildly ridiculous. Oh well. He's great otherwise, just into fishing rather than watersports. I get mom out on combos every year and she'll still drop one.

I'm generally 1st Generation as far as a ski family. It starts here, so maybe my kids will chime in here in 50 years or whatever.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 12:20am
jeez Joel...I am 4 years older than your Dad...

gotta agree Tim..spent a little time with the Deen boys at Norris. Me & Jackie talked about how cool it was. Also got to spend time with my brother and his son and my son as well. Family is what skiing has always been about for the Berrys. Time well spent!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 5:42am
My best memory with dad was when we went duck hunting on Thunder lake in three lakes. We went to the north blind which was on the extreme far side of the 2000 acre lake. Leaving, we sheared a pin in the 18. He rowed that 14' Alumacraft all they way and with a bad heart!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 11:51am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

jeez Joel...I am 4 years older than your Dad...

Yeah, he really has no excuse. I try to tell him that the guy I ski the course with with all summer is 52 and he's into -32 off! It's no use!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2014 at 11:46pm
This is a very powerful thread. There are so many outstanding men who are not afraid to express their love. I wish it had been the first thread I read when I discovered this site. Thanks for bumping it.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

littleskierox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littleskierox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2014 at 3:25pm
I am so thankful for all of the memories I have skiing with my father and my grandfather. My grandfather (Pauly-Banana) and I still go out and ride a pair of jumps. Its getting hard to ski with him because his vision isn't as good anymore but I will cherish those memories forever. I'm so grateful that Pauly started us on this journey and the Skierox continued it. People don't understand the significance of growing up in such a close family that centers around something as amazing as skiing. Its nice to hear others stories about families like mine.    
My escape is to just get in a boat and disappear on the water.

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2015 at 7:34pm
Bump.

Happy Fathers Day to all. Make some good Memories tomorrow.

OMH
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2015 at 5:04pm
Thanks Dave, thought of this thread yesterday but got busy.

No skiing for me yesterday as my wife had a commitment. So, my daughter and I took the boat and went out to breakfast on the river. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 12:10pm
Well, 10 years now since I started this thread. Today my Dad would have been 80. He's been gone for 13 years. I won't be boating today as I'm on a business trip, but our boating time is increasing as my daughter get's older. She is now on Slalom Ski, Rides a wakeboard, does double and triple skis with her friends. She even pulled me out of a 10 year hiatus, and I've been on a water ski as often as my back will allow me. I think about my Dad almost every time we go boating.

A lot of new members to this site over the last 10 years. If you have not yet shared a story of boating with your Dad, please do. I bet you will be glad that you did.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 12:42pm
When we set off recently my 4 year old grandson said "Keep your eyes peeled!"...same thing my dearly-departed Dad always said........
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 1:41pm
I too think of my Dad everytime I get in the boat especially when I wear the now infamous Red/White boating shirt posted here that belonged to him. I didn't used to but now that he's gone he's there with me. I am still trying to do something with my two girls that he and I never got the chance to do. SKI TOGETHER! Make it happen guys! I still have yet to get the Dad and both daughters behind the boat ski as I'm always pulling them and no one around to pull us when I do have them both home these days. Maybe subliminally that's why I have two CC's....One for each daughter when I'm gone so that they will always have a little part of me everytime they step foot in a boat that we've spent loads of time in and to continue a family tradition of time on the water.
So cool to see in person and on the site of Father/Son & Father/Daughter (or both) ski runs and the closeness it makes that relationship. Thanks for starting this thread 10 years ago Brian and its so cool to see how Aspen has grown into the sport.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 2:54pm
Tim: I like the "one for each"...my son has already called dibs on my dad's century...
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 3:05pm
Tim: I like the "one for each"...my son has already called dibs on my dad's century...
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 4:35pm
I was jut thinking Sunday how lucky I felt that my son and daughter have reached the age where they are real skiers and real participants in a day on the water. They now ask me to go out rather than it all falling on me to make happen. I used to leave the house early to get my slalom sets in with friends, then come home and maybe take the family out later. Now we do it all as a family, which is the best. Thank god for the dads or granddads (in my case) that shared this with us.

I also had a great experience a month ago. My family visited my best friend from college who lives on Lake Norman. We had my 93 year old grandmother over for dinner on the dock and my friend shared with her that the only reason he knew about the lake and grew to love it is because he spent so much time with me at her house on the lake. Now he has two daughters who consider the lake home and their Ski Nautique the primary means of transportation. It was rewarding to me to know I've shared something so meaningful, and my grandma was beaming. If only my granddad was still here to share it too.

Thanks for starting this thread, BKH.

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 7:25pm
My Dad passed away 2 years ago and I really miss him. He was never a big "motor boater" but he loved to sail. We had a Hobie Cat 18' catamaran for many years.

When my slalom skiing turned serious, my Dad bought me a training boat. It was an older inboard V-Drive "tunnel hull" made by Carina. 460 Ford power. Then Dad bought us a Chev Suburban to pull the boat around. He gave me a charge card for the local service station so that I could put gas in the boat and Suburban.

Dad let me off work at 3:00 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday so that I could practice at the lake. When the 460 needed work, Dad paid for a rebuild.

My Dad got on that boat only once. He showed us that he could ski (2 skis) and we were all impressed.

My Dad's sister was a single Mom and didn't have much money. Dad made sure that I took my cousins out regularly on the boat. He wanted his nephews to have similar experiences as his boys had.

It's getting hard to see the screen. Something seems to have gotten into my eye.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2016 at 1:21am
Annual bump. Three things on my agenda for fathers day. Re-read this thread, Stop by the cemetery and tell dad how much I wish he could be with me for a fathers day boat ride, Get out on the boat with my son.

Happy Fathers day to all my CCfan friends. For those that can get out on the water with your dads, savor the day, you are blessed.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2016 at 9:10am
Lots of memories.......Gone to soon, would have been great to get him out of the old Starcraft and into the Correct Craft for some skiing fun and new memories. With that being said, the stogie would of had to stay on the dock.

[/IMG]
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2016 at 9:59am
My father circa 1976 in the top pic. Loved boats, but always drove friends boats. Never owned one. Asked him why. " Because I was in the navy" he said.

Me in the bottom pic driving Morfoot's boat "Kermit" last summer
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2016 at 11:01am
Thanks for bumping this one up Dave..... You beat me to it. Jim, that picture I took of you wasn't planned but man is it spot on...Second Fathers day I've been without mine so its kinda tough. Have Tamara with me today so I might just have to hit the lake later today.

Happy Fathers Day Boys!....... Call your Dad today if he's still here and tell him you love him. Spend it on the lake with him if you can!

lfskizzer and his wife Jessica were here for the Masters Ski Tournament so I took em' out on the lake. I asked Phil to drive while I skied with Tamara...... Jess grabbed the camera and took a few. Still have daughter Sydney missing from this pic but I've been wanting to do this for a long time.

jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2016 at 11:29am
Happy Father's Day Tim. Great pic.
Happy Father's Day to all the CCFan Fathers!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2016 at 2:25pm
Spent three days this week at waterski camp with my daughter. She's learning some surface tricks, made it through the mini course, and got a couple balls in the full slalom course. I think we will do some practice today, Father's Day. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2016 at 2:33pm
80's and sunny today ...... 16 mph winds gusting to 27 . At least I have this thread to read. Thank you Brian for starting this gift that keeps on giving. Happy Fathers day.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2018 at 2:43pm
Thought I would bring this thread up top on what would be my Dad's 83rd birthday. Gone 15 years now. Still miss him. I've been making a lot of boating memories with my own daughter lately. She has been doing a little bit of competition Slalom skiing, and I'm her primary practice driver.

If you have any boating stories with your Dad (or Mom) throw them up.

Have a good day out there on the water.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2018 at 11:43pm
Took my dad for a boat ride today . He is 84 - taught me most of what I know about boats.
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
359 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 359 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2018 at 10:01am
My grandpa, uncle, and dad all owned speedboats at some time, my uncle had a seventy something SN. (before the 2001) Dad was a fisherman, but took the time to teach us kids how to ski behind a 14" rowboat with a 20hp outboard. Eventually he bought an IO and a tube to pull. He never liked going fast on the tube, and just pulled the tube dead straight when he drove. Before the speedboat he and I went fishing on lake Erie with that rowboat and 20hp Johnson. Later that IO was damaged by fire when the neighbor's house burned down, and was sold for about a hundred bucks. Now I've got kids of my own, two and four, and I want to take them out on the boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2020 at 9:57pm
Father's Day this weekend. I thought I would bring this thread back to the top. I've been teaching my daughter to drive the boat that my wife and I bought for her, I wonder if she will look back on this time, as I look back on boating with my Dad.

For the lucky ones of you who still have a father, take him boating this weekend, or soon as you can. For those of you who are fathers, enjoy your Father's day and, hopefully, go make some boating memories of your own.

If you haven't shared your boating story with Dad then what are you waiting for? Post it up.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
  Share Topic