Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need advice on my new-to-me 1989 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
UpNorth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UpNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need advice on my new-to-me 1989 Nautique
    Posted: August-19-2005 at 6:16pm
I just bought my first inboard, a 1989 Ski Nautique, Chevy Big Block 454, reinforced hull (originally manufactured for Sea World Texas).

Can anyone help with these questions or with these parts?

1. I need a back seat.
2. I will be recovering the rest - driver, spotter and engine cover, and recarpeting. Is there an good/bad/easy way to do this?
3. Which barefoot boom works with this boat?
4. It needs a new exhaust manifold?
5. It has a replacement electric feul pump that seems to cut out. Is the manual pump better?

Thanks to everyone who responds!
UpNorth
UpNorth
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2005 at 7:59pm
Interior answers:

I'd build a back seat or sun pad. Back seat is just a simple bench frame made out of pressurized marine grade plywood , or you could make a rear trunk for storage with a padded cover for the ladies to soak up the rays.....

Carpeting is very easy....carefully pull out your old carpet....then use the old peices as a template to trace patterns on the new carpet.....then clean of old glue from flooring (I used a hand drill with a wires brush bit)....apply glue evenly with a trowel....slap down carpet, and push out all bubbles/wrinkles....it will take you about six beers and a half day.

Finally...on re-upholstering....my insider tip....go find the fabric that you want to recover in yourself...I used naugahide (sp?) (bright green and white)...this will save you a good chunk of change...also, try to find someone who reupolsters furniture...'boat upholsterers' charge an arm and a leg... I saved a bunch of money by removing the seats and taking them to the upholsterer. Of course, Never tell the person doing the job that the seats are for a boat, if you do, they will automatically charge you more, or refuse the work because they don't work on boats!

Recovering the side combing pads is a peice of cake...just spend the extra money to by an electric staple gun, their cheap and they make it really easy.

As for barefoot booms...I think they all will mount to stock pylons.

Well that killed a few minutes...(and made me appear to be busy as my boss was walking by)

I gutted my 2001 last spring...if you have any more non-mechanical questions let me know.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2005 at 3:38pm
UpNorth,

1. Rear seat. Tough to find. I'm told that southeast CC has a pattern to make them. Possibly, find local boat salvage shops and put them on notice you are looking. In California, boatrecycling.com in Rancho Cordova is a good source.

2. Carpeting - lot's of good posts on this site with step by steps. Just search a little. Upholstery. The combing pads are easy, but unless you are a skilled seemster, with a quality idustrial sewing machine, I would price out the upholstery work. My brother had his done mid-winter and got the entire job for around $1000.

3. BF Boom. Probably every manufacturer makes a boom for your boat. I still think
Barefoot International is a great brand.

4 & 5. I'll leave to the motor gurus here.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2005 at 9:12pm
Congrats i was looking at that boat for a while.Should be a fun toy.
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 1:06pm
UpNorth,

If you take 82tique's advice and have a furniture upholsterer do the interior work, make sure you also supply the sewing thread. You need to use a UV resistant polyester thread. Most furniture and auto interiors are done with a nylon thread which will deteriorate in direct sunlight.
UpNorth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UpNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 2:26pm
Thanks for all the replies!

So far I struck out on getting plans to build a rear seat. Southeast Correct Craft did not have them.

Does anyone have plans/specs to build a rear seat for a 1989 Ski Nautique?

Thanks!
UpNorth
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 2:32pm
i am going to build a sundeck for mine copying my buddys x 9 rear seat. it will be suported by L angle bolted to sides and back. and open in the front for a fat sack or cooler.
new86owner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 2:55pm
There are several posts on here and on wakeboarder.com with custom rear seats. There's a little button called 'Search' that works really well.

Sometimes it seems this forum is just a big cycle where the same topics get posted every 3 months. Anyway, you can see some pics of my boat at:

Upgrades to my 86 2001

It has a rear sundeck, ballast tanks, new carpet, new upholstery, Perfect Pass, Tower...

82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 3:48pm
yo new '86-

That is awesome...I have a few questions about your ballast.

How long does it take to fill and drain?

When you drilled through the hull for the intake...how do seal/attach the fittings to the boat?

Any pics of the wake? Did it make the wake steeper? Are you riding at 75ft.?

How much for materials (not including sacs)?
Looks sweet!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2005 at 11:34am
Haven't timed the ballast system. I hardly ever fill all the sacs completely. It is pretty quick though. I would guess about 10 minutes.

I used some silicone sealer around the intake scoop. I drilled the hole pretty close to the diameter of the scoop, so it's a tight seal.

I'll have to try to take some pictures of the wake. The wake is plenty big enough. The key to the wake is to have weight in the bow on these boats. I think I ride at 70 ft, not really sure.

I haven't added up the costs yet. I'll have to do that and start a new post.

82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2005 at 1:27pm
thanks for the info.

A Ballast system could be my project for this winter.
Fook_U View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fook_U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2006 at 12:41am
new86owner,
Do you still have the rear seat stuff?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2006 at 8:52am
Yep, I haven't finished the back seat though. It's still plywood. I did add side boxes to cover the side sacs though.

More pics here:

My gallery

Fook_U View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fook_U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2006 at 9:32am
what about your original rear seat boxes, do you still have those?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2006 at 9:57am
Yep, want them?
UpNorth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UpNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2006 at 10:58am
New86owner,

It sounds like you had/took out the original rear seat, which is exactly what I am looking for. Do you still have it? Are you willing to part with it?

UpNorth
UpNorth
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2006 at 2:14pm
Yes, I'll take some pics of what I have and post them.
Fook_U View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fook_U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2006 at 5:31pm
I have first dibs
Derby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2006 at 11:03pm
Fook_U,

If you look at the thread author, it looks like UpNorth has first dibs.

New86,

How did you plumb or rout the side boxes. PM me to end the hijack please.

Derby
So It Goes!
Fook_U View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fook_U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2006 at 11:40pm
Does statute of limitations apply here? I'm looking for the plastic box that small rear seat sits on I have 1 would like it's mate.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic