NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Other 3 Event Ski Boats of the 80s

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Other 3 Event Ski Boats of the 80s
    Posted: July-27-2011 at 11:13am
Hey guys,
I noticed that there's been some chatter about American Skier in a couple of other threads so I thought this might be an interesting topic. Specifically, speaking of 80s era ski boats, what are your impressions about the competition ski boats of that time period? Not looking to start a knock on the competition since we know where are loyalties lie, just interested in everyone's impression of the boats of "back in the day." My experience was pretty much limited to MC and CC, but certainly there were many others out there who frequently got a set behind these boats or spent time behind the wheel.

CC Ski Nautique 2001--good quality, decent ride (for a tournament inboard), dryer ride than an MC, good trick wake, not as good of a slalom wake vs. an MC. Carl Roberge was a CC 3 event skier.

Mastercraft--super sleek lower profile, superior slalom wake (to most brands of the day), Powerslot option, wet, rough ride. Platform seemed alot smaller than a CC. L shaped observer seat was uncomfortable as was the rest of the boat. Remember Camille Duvall? Damn she was fine.

Supra--pulled the Worlds in about 88. had a fiberglass platform with a stainless grab rail all the way around it. Nose dropped really low. WL was a dealer for awhile and painted it to be superior to the Nautique. Mike Hazelwood was a beast of a jumper during that time frame. I think he was a Supra guy.

American Skier--looked good, small wake. virtually non-existent in my neck of the woods

Ski Supreme--lots of upholsterey buttons and teak.

Malibu Skier--the poor man's inboard at the time. Distinct California look. WL was also a dealer of Malibu in the late 80s. Had the slalom course times and tolerances screen printed on the dash.

Ski Centurion--none in my area. Another undeniably California looking boat.

Again, not looking to knock the competition. Also, this was just my brief impression of these boats. What's yours?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 11:46am
I'll jump in on this one, since I have experience with one of those. (Interesting this came up this morning as it so happens Bri892001 and Dip (Darren) and I got together here on the Cape last night for a few runs (and congrts to Brian for his first boom-barefoot run) and some dinner, and this topic came up. I had an 89 Supra. Superior wake, but a noteworthy rooster tail. Wake probably a little better than 2001, but the rooster somewhere around 15-22 off was a problem. Shorter line and you were golden. I think the styling was more contemporary (not necessarily better) than the 2001s, whose look really wasnt that different from the "quaint" 70s CCs. More "luxurious" fit and finish. When sold, my upholstry was 18 years old and still looked new. Friend had an 80s supreme. Yup, lots of teak and buttons, kind of a dated look. Funny, non-symetrical wake.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 12:51pm
I know I've posted these photos that were provide to me by Dan Fitzgerald, Three Seasons Ski Club in MA several times. American Skier and MasterCraft were very popular on the lake mid to late 80's. I recall counting about 12-14 Ski Nautiques on the lake in '87-'88. From what I'm told, the MasterCrafts had a smaller wake compared to the SN2001. Lots of people trick skied at that time and it seems that the SN2001 was the perfect boat for that. There was one Ski Supreme on the lake. It seems like American Skiers were very popular in the mid 80's. I was told American Skier would negotiate price and Correct Craft wouldn't. Anyway, I enjoy seeing all classic boat brands. The Stars and Stripes is a nice looking boat. There's a beautiful '85 MC Stars and Stripes blue/gray on our the lake that's showroom condition and sounds strong.

Didn't Bayliner or somebody else attempt to produce a comp ski boat in the late 80's? If I recall right, it had an ugly pink stripe.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 12:56pm
Ken,

You are thinking of the Bayliner Ski Challenger.

I am pretty sure it pulled the Nationals and Worlds in 88 and 89. Ok, I made that part up.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 12:57pm
Bayliner made an inboard called a Challenger. It was hideous. Someone on my lake had one. It seemed really wide and looked as cheap as every other bayliner.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 1:06pm
YES, that's it. I bet there are only a hand full of those boats still running. Not a boat to be proud of in my opinion. My guess is it was attractive due to a low price point. It screams '80s with that pink. Awful boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 1:11pm
Some of the orginal Three Seasons Ski Club members enjoying a nice 80's summer day!

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 1:16pm
When I was looking for my first inboard in the mid 90s, I stopped at East Coats Flightcraft while on a business trip in the area. They had a Challenger for sale for 5-6000. I had the good sense to pass.

Ken, those pictures of all the boats together are great.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 1:17pm
Sorry for the thread-jack. I get passionate talking about the good ole '80s boats and memories. I wish more people would scan and share their old pics.

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 2:56pm
Nautique and the power slot MC followed by Supreme and American Skier on the East. The west coast had Centurion which got plugged away into Tige, Brendella, and a few others. Hydrodyne made a inboard skiboat as did Sea Ray. Toyota had the Epic, Bagliner had the Challenger, and I'm sure I missed one or two
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 3:13pm
Nice list Kevin
Found one more, may I add the century cts
There is a cherry hydrodyne inboard down the road from me, btw.
Was the glastron ski machine 3 event?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Tom351 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 3:18pm
This was posted here a while back by someone else, but worth a re-post in this thread:
Popular Mechanics- 1987 Ski Boat Shootout
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 3:30pm
I've heard from multiple skiers who competed in the 80's that if they saw a 2001 was pulling the competition that they'd be terrified of the wake. They'd pray for an MC being the towboat at the time.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 4:25pm
Spot on. At the tourneys I was on the starting dock with the other kids, you should have heared the groans when the 2001 fired up to come over to pull the jr /boys/girls. Some masochist would always save the MC for the Men1, and enjoy seeing the kids attempting to run gates, getting 1/2 bouy run for $30, at 22-26 mph behind a freakin wakeboard boat. Sickos.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 5:00pm
Awesome pics Nautique2001.
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 5:20pm

I'm guessing my "Black Sheep" Dixie 299 Super Skier may have never pulled an event, but growing up in a family run bayliner dealership I'm sure I could have done worse. There seem to be quite a few Dixie 299's around the mid atlantic. I believe they were made 1984 - 1989 (all same design / no change). I think they were the first open bow inboard ski boat (1984). Does anyone have any old school info on what this boat was / how it compared? The ride is nice, not to bad in chop, dry is no problem, but steering SUX. The guy who ran Dixie Boat works Melvin Little made his mark in racing inboards. The as i'm told the racing influence shows on the ski boat too. The knife like rudder has marginal input on what you want the boat to. It still turns and skis Ok but nothing like the few MC's I skied as a kid. Rear 3-4' of the hull has a stepped design (rear 3-4' is 2-3" up from forward section. I believe this is to aireate the running pad. I think a few go fast outboards and bass boats use this method but I don't see the advantage on an inboard. At higher speeds (depending on loaded weight) the hull design and lack of water pressure on the stern can causes the boat to porpse.     

I'm still looking for my first Correct Craft ride / pull.

PS: My Dixie is #0050 and the only metal flake gelcoat I've seen (sky blue metalic). I also have the special trailer package with factory polished aluminium wheels and and aluminium diamond tread trailer step plates.     
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 5:53pm
This 88 Skier has been in the family since 1992. It may have been the first Malibu in Maine. For the first few years everyone was always asking what it was as they had never seen one. My brother in law bought it at Lake Lure in NC. It's been a great boat with very few problems. It's not as big and solid as a 2001, but it definately has smaller ski wakes and the gel coat is beautiful.

I met a guy at Race City Marine 2 years ago that had been the distributor for Malibu back in the 80's & 90's and knew all about this boat as he ordered it. It has a PCM 240 which he called the "White Lake" package as the Ford PCMs were popular there rather than the standard Mercruisers.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 6:29pm
Cool boats, Bruce. Almost got one of those instead of the Supra back in 96. Nice lines and the CA graphics, although a subjective thing, I like too.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 6:38pm
Larry, no doubt some don't like the rainbow CA look, but even today most boats, even CC, don't have that kind of detail in their gel. That red and white boat has a thin black pin stripe bordering the red that is gel. On the SN 196 which cost about $20k more they used tape on their pin stripe.

I used to love the WSM boat buyers guide back in the 80's because there were so many different companies building 3 event boats.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 6:45pm
wow, good activity here. I love those vintage 80s pics. keep em coming.

ya'll remember the:

Ski Pro--I/o tournament boat; I believe it had a telescoping boom that retracted into the boat (out of the way and stored) when not in use.

Sunbird Skier--outboard powered budget ski boat

Cherokee Skier

Brendella--I forgot to mention in my original post
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 7:01pm
Best gel work had to be the ski eliiminator, bar none.

River Rat to Mole
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 8:56pm
Did the old flightcraft inboard fall into this 80's 3-event category. I almost bought a frozen one on a deal a few years back.
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Liledgy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liledgy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 9:54pm
At a tourney in "87" I remember marlin magnum skier, malibu, and ski eliminater all bringing there boats to make sure they met the minimum to pull regionals and possibly nationals. When I saw a strip of vinyl made into a loop attached to the bottom of the motor cover (for the handle) on the Malibu, it scared me to think of the things that you couldn't see! Never saw a supra in a tournament. In the 90's Bimini skier came out. My buddy bought a 94 or 95 brand new for just under $15000 with a nice trailer. Most people on the lake told him to stay away from it, buy a used CC or MC. to scaffolds surprise it has been a great boat. It reminds me of the early malibu's, cheap vent covers, thinner vinyl, etc. It is a he'll of a slalom boat. If not the best, one of the best handling boat on the lake, STILL. articulating front skag that turns with the rudder. Very similar to a 1980-81 Mastercraft, your head is above the windshield, motorbox can be seen above the sides, etc. Not a rough water boat ( it is a ski boat!). Even his clock still works! The paint and fiberglass are still in great shape. He is paranoid about the wood stringers. He checks the lags on the motor mounts. So far so good.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 11:33pm
I recall in the 80's, our ski club would beach their boats in the little cove you see the photos of the gold MasterCraft in. A club member would fire their boat up, VEEEEROOOOM, the dual exhaust would say dammit, listen to me!! Those were the days.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

I recall in the 80's, our ski club would beach their boats in the little cove you see the photos of the gold MasterCraft in. A club member would fire their boat up, VEEEEROOOOM, the dual exhaust would say dammit, listen to me!! Those were the days.

Beach their boats????? Kidding, i'm the only one on the site who admits to doing that these days. love your description of what the exhaust says when it cranks.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 4:02am
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

Nautique and the power slot MC followed by Supreme and American Skier on the East. The west coast had Centurion which got plugged away into Tige, Brendella, and a few others. Hydrodyne made a inboard skiboat as did Sea Ray. Toyota had the Epic, Bagliner had the Challenger, and I'm sure I missed one or two

Some of these are 90s

BKH
Livin' the Dream

dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 4:38am
Bruce, thats a great Malibu. I remember how nice that gelcoat was. Were they originally a California company only? I know they are now built in Tennessee. I actually ski more behind Malibus than any other boat (my own included). Not quite the fit and finish of a Nautique but if I didn't buy a Nautique that is what i would buy.
Larry and Brian and I were talking about how nice the Supras were. They also had a manually adjustable trim tab that allowed you to adjust the attitude of the boat to affect the shape of the wake. That was pretty imaginative. I think Tige later followed with a more refined version of that idea. I also recall that they had a sharp V hull fore to cut the water with a very flat bottom aft, supposedly to offer both a good ride and good wake. Not sure how that worked. Supra also did a great job early on of having a broad product range to suit different need. They had the Mariah and Sunsport which were good quality, family oriented inboards, predecessors to the Sport Nautique.
I really thought the Mastercraft change in '87 to the Prostar upped the ante on ski boat design dramatically, ultimately leading to the '90 No wake zone Nautique. Its fun to look back on those years because so much was happening but the boats hadn't really morphed into the machines they are today yet.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 2:08pm
I have not problems beaching my 80s ski boat and sometimes a little keel rub is a better option than dock rash.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 4:29pm
Darren, they were a CA company when that boat was built. Once they started building a lot of boats sometime in the 90's they opened a 2nd plant in TN which is their only plant now. They closed the CA plant when the economy tanked. Not as good fit and finish as a Correct Craft, but a lot of the same components like VDO gauges, PCM engine, Morse controls. I think they were about 15% less money. That boat is mostly original and still looks great. About the only thing replaced were the seat cushons and I rebuilt the observers seat a long time ago as it rotted out. That pic is from 06 or 07.

The TSM Supra or whater they called it was a nice boat. My perception of Supras was that they were good quality boats.

Hollywood, I've never had a problem until our 03 Malibu with beaching a boat. Not with Correct Crafts, Centurys or that 88 Malibu. The fine sand will dull the gel, but on our the 03 the gel seems soft and has some deep scratchs so we try not to beach it.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 5:22pm
Let's not forget the step side fenders on some Ski Centurions, When they went from 5-7 color gel to tape stripes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic