NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Other 3 Event Ski Boats of the 80s

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Other 3 Event Ski Boats of the 80s
    Posted: September-22-2016 at 1:06pm
Throw Back Thursday.

If you guys are enjoying this old thread coming back to life, you will really enjoy this one from 2006. Unfortunately many of the photos are now missing but it is still a very entertaining read.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5284&KW=maliboob&PN=1&title=name-this-boat
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 12:02pm
There's a guy on my local lake who has a Ski Ray inboard.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 10:41am
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 10:19am
I work with a lady who told me she has a tournament inboard called a Bimini. It is a '93. She indicated it has a MasterCraft hull, and an American Skier deck, and also has a front tracking fin that slightly rotates when the steering wheel is turned to facilitate tighter turns. Anybody heard of this brand of boat?? New one on me.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 11:57pm
There is a new builder in FLORIDA called Custom Ski Boats they moved from Australia and were supposed to be "sponsoring" the World Barefoot Center with a couple boats but due to reasons unexplained the partnership never happened ...David Small assured me everyone was going to own a CSB barefoot outboard...but they are still skiing the old Sanger outboards. CSB builds a closed bow inboard barefoot boat as well as an outboard closed bow.
This is the life
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 10:26pm
Bruce
If I am not mistaken Gekko has started manufacturing a outboard Barefooter
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

[QUOTE=GlassSeeker] ....probably the only mfgr today offerring a closed bow skiboat

If I'm not mistaken there are two others, Centurion Carbon Pro and SN200CB. I don't think MC nor Malibu do any more but I also seem to recall that even tho Malibu doesn't market a closed bow Response, it is still available. I be Bruce knows the answer to that.
QUOTE]

Malibu turned their old 1998 Response into a walk through bow rider. No more closed bows for them. Mastercraft has the fiberglass hood that makes their ski boat look like a closed bow, but it's a bow rider. Sanger makes the only dedicated barefoot boat, don't they?
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 6:02pm
My '88 Glastron CVX 16 was a solid ski boat back in the day. Equipped with a merc 115 tower of power and good for ~60 mph with no skier
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

That Super Fly High is standard equipment at barefoot tournaments both national and world competition

Greg's BF tug behind which we have been working on our LLBDs. I'm sure it helped. Now I have to wean myself down to my regular fly-hi and then I'd like to take it all the way down to a regular pylon pull.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 5:10pm
That Super Fly High is standard equipment at barefoot tournaments both national and world competition
This is the life
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 4:44pm

That Sanger DX and DXII inboard sure has staying power its still being built exactly the same as back in 88....probably the only mfgr today offerring a closed bow skiboat

That's one heckova fly high on that bad boy.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 4:29pm

....probably the only mfgr today offerring a closed bow skiboat

The Sanger has always been a good looking boat. Nice that they stayed with their traditional roots.

If I'm not mistaken there are two others, Centurion Carbon Pro and SN200CB. I don't think MC nor Malibu do any more but I also seem to recall that even tho Malibu doesn't market a closed bow Response, it is still available. I be Bruce knows the answer to that.

Far cry from the 80s when everyone and their brother offered a comp ski boat, including a lot that shouldn't have.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 4:20pm
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 4:11pm
That Sanger DX and DXII inboard sure has staying power its still being built exactly the same as back in 88....probably the only mfgr today offerring a closed bow skiboat
This is the life
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

Hey guys,

Mastercraft--super sleek lower profile, superior slalom wake (to most brands of the day), Powerslot option, wet, rough ride. Platform seemed alot smaller than a CC. L shaped observer seat was uncomfortable as was the rest of the boat. Remember Camille Duvall? Damn she was fine.

This the one you were referring to?
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 2:10pm
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 11:35am
It was a great boat. Only qualms would be that they ride a lot rougher than a 2001 of the same vintage, and the spray at slalom speeds was considerable. Shortline slalom in a head wind you were getting pelted. Great trick and barefoot hull, though. She'd run about 48 with the 240hp 351 and a 13x13 wheel. As you can see, they were quite popular in our ski club during that time:
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 11:23am
That's a nice looking boat. I wouldn't mind owning a 1987 Advance.
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by dsums dsums wrote:

To this day I feel it was one of the best laid out and most comfortable driver areas I have come across. Everything was right where it needed to be for spending hours driving.

In terms of driver seat/body comfort American Skier is the best I've ever driven, period

Agreed, the driver seat and padded armrest were much nicer than what CC had to offer back then. We had an '87 Advance with a PCM 351.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

In terms of driver seat/body comfort American Skier is the best I've ever driven, period. Correct Craft was way behind until the rotocast bucket seat (still not better but very, very good)

no doubt about it...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 2:26am
Originally posted by dsums dsums wrote:

To this day I feel it was one of the best laid out and most comfortable driver areas I have come across. Everything was right where it needed to be for spending hours driving.

In terms of driver seat/body comfort American Skier is the best I've ever driven, period. Correct Craft was way behind until the rotocast bucket seat (still not better but very, very good) but the CC 1987+ instrument panel was also a major improvement.

Never been in a Supreme, looking forward to it.
dsums View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 4:38pm
before the questions come. I did have a front strap on the pylon before we used it. This was when I had the for sale sign on it
dsums View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 4:36pm
Interesting thread. Nice to see all the boats from our past. I had a 87 Ski Supreme from 1991 - 2006. Similar to the one in the beach pictures. Mixed feelings when I sold it to get the 196. Had a good slalom wake, superb trick wake which made it a pretty good boarding wake with the extended pylon. Boys wanted a tower but there was no way I was adding a tower to a classis tournament boat. Too much of a traditionalist I guess. To this day I feel it was one of the best laid out and most comfortable driver areas I have come across. Everything was right where it needed to be for spending hours driving.
Timr71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timr71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 3:22pm
Another before shot:

After:

Ready to play:

Timr71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timr71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

I was right about that steering thing after all! I wonder what that looks like - as in how it physically operated?

I will be back in my cousin's shop in the next month or so. I'll snap a few pictures so you can see how it works. Basically the steering cable goes down one side of the bilge to the rudder, the same as it does in all inboard tournament boats, but there's an extension on the cable. So after the connecting point at the back/rudder, it goes back up to the tracking fins where the very end of the cable engages the one rotational fin.

That may not be a great description. The rudder connects at a mid-point in the steering cable and the CATS fin is at the end. That makes the cable longer than normal and it goes from the steering wheel area to the rudder and then halfway back up the boat.

I'll post the pictures in this thread.

Since I know you guys love pictures, here's a couple of my recently restored 1993 Centurion Falcon. Before:

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 1:04pm
I was right about that steering thing after all! I wonder what that looks like - as in how it physically operated?

My brain has so much useless knowledge about ski boats built from reading Water Ski Magazine every month since I was 15.... I used to save the yearly boat reviews for a couple of years just reading over and over about all those dream machines.

The ts6m burst onto the slalom scene from nowhere. The wakes on those boats we almost nonexistent. I skied behind a Ski Centurion in 1986 on a private lake. It wasn't until after our sets and were driving away when I said, "That wake was so small I hardly remember it being there." My ski companions all agreed. We skied daily behind a 2001 hull Nautique. There was definitely a difference. Then the NWZ appeared and it was tons better.

Then wake boarding happened everything changed.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

Wrong George Fowler that George Fowler was Marlin Perkins.

I think that that George Fowler who you think was Marlin Perkins is really Jim Fowler

Wild Kingdom
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 10:41am
Wrong George Fowler that George Fowler was Marlin Perkins.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 10:01pm
I miss that show Mutual Of Omaha's Wild Kingdom with George Fowler.
Keep it....from sinkin'
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2016 at 8:55pm
Well some of you know I am a closet Supra guy . I currently own a 1989 Supra sunsport, 1992 Supra comp ts6m and a 1984 Supra comp ts6m . As far as the newer boats I am Nautique through and through but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for my George Fowler Supra's.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic