NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Debt

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 20>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Debt
    Posted: September-09-2011 at 10:16am
I know in 10 years they will still be worth something
"the things you own will start to own you"
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 10:59pm
Thank quantitiative easing for that.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 9:57am
Dave, bought 5 more silver dollars yesterday, another good example of the dollar not being worth a dollar, being its silver, paid 30 bucks a-piece
peeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 7:12am
I think the only way we are ever going to see REAL change is to continue to vote in Tea Party types, and take the Senate, and White House. We made big gains in last Novembers elections, but, you can't do it in just one election.

Its also very interesting and encouraging how the national discussion and focus has been on our debt and deficeit spending. Encouraging signs the country is waking up to this mess.

Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts
tory burch sale
meizitang slimming capsule
oakley sunglasses cheap
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 1:33am
AP article today, the US slipped to from forth to fifth place in the worlds most competitve economies as rated by the World Economic Forum. The first reason sited for the drop was our debt. We were in first place in 2008. Another feather in Obamas cap.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 5:32pm
Good article indeed.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 4:08pm
As a business owner I would be interested in what a disgruntled ex,employee might have to say, but I would have guestion how much weight I would give it.
1987 Ski Nautique

wingwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Pretty much the truth about the current state of the two party system

A good read.. if you dismiss this out of hand you might want to think about why

I dismiss it because truth-out.org is a Soros funded 501c3, not what I would consider unbiased.
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 2:58pm
A good read.

But I can't wait to see the comments.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 1:37pm
one will read and still not believe, good read Joe
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 1:24pm
Pretty much the truth about the current state of the two party system

A good read.. if you dismiss this out of hand you might want to think about why
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

Your Gore comment... Please, stop spreading lies like all the other partisans. Gore never said he invented the internet.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_Al_Gore_really_say_he_invented_the_internet

Al Gore, "When I took the initiative to create the internet"

Yea I lied.

How do you feel when you twist the facts and even lie to yourself? I mean really..And again I have to ask, did you even read the article that explains how it happened? And yep snopes get it right too.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 12:48pm
Here is the snopes piece on Al Gore.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

In essence, creating or inventing is much different than inventing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 3:37am
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

Your Gore comment... Please, stop spreading lies like all the other partisans. Gore never said he invented the internet.

Al Gore, "When I took the initiative to create the internet"

Yea I lied.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by ononewheel ononewheel wrote:

[Righties aren't happy with Obama, because????????

While campaining he said bush was unpatriotic for raising the deficit by 4 trillion in 8 years, he than raised it 8 trillion in two.

He promised to cut the deficit in half in two years, he quadroppeled it.

He promised to reach across the isle and end bipartison ship, then he got a majority, shut the republicans out, and crammed Obama care, spending for his cronies,, and regulation down our throats against the will of the majority of americans. He did though admit it was wrong...... when he lost his majority. This lead to creating the most bipartison bickering in years.

He got our debt rating downgraded.

He grew the government by 30 % in three years.

he promised us hope and change and said it would be good for the country. He gave us bad changes and little hope.

He took a world apology tour and made us look weak.

He .........well you know.

1987 Ski Nautique

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 9:00pm

And when so many in the private sector are hurting why should public sector jobs be untouchable? the mone for the public sector comes from the private sector and the private sector could create 2 jobs for the price of every postal employee.

But the private sector isn't creating the jobs.   
First the conservatives on this thread said it was because the private sector was being "taxed to death", but still showing record profits.
Then the conservatives shifted to "regulated to death"

Under Clinton we did well.
Bush sucked.
Under Obama, life seems to suck more for the conservatives, yet the corporations they support are recording record profits, despite being taxed, and regulated.

What gives? You should be happy, the corps are rich with profits, and there is talk from the right about cut, cut, cut, from the middle, and not near the top.   You should be very happy.

Most progressives are not happy with Obama, because they do see it this way.   Righties aren't happy with Obama, because????????
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 8:05pm

Acxtually we dont need the guys from china since Al Gore invented the internet we can get mail for free, or at least free until the unions loby the government to tax emails 40 cents a piece so the post office can compete.

You really are like the guys at FauxNews. Your Gore comment... Please, stop spreading lies like all the other partisans. Gore never said he invented the internet.

The internet was developed by a team of researchers(scientists!!) but credit is mainly given to Vinton Cerf and Robert Kahn who created the protocol that allows communication. The actual internet or World Wide Web is yet another protocol invented by Tim Berners-Lee.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 8:01pm

I dont quite see how someone living in china will get the mail to my front door, but whatever. Acxtually we dont need the guys from china since Al Gore invented the internet we can get mail for free, or at least free until the unions loby the government to tax emails 40 cents a piece so the post office can compete.

I was talking in general terms not specifically the USPS. But yes, the internet was the demise of the postal service.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 7:48pm
I dont quite see how someone living in china will get the mail to my front door, but whatever. Acxtually we dont need the guys from china since Al Gore invented the internet we can get mail for free, or at least free until the unions loby the government to tax emails 40 cents a piece so the post office can compete.
1987 Ski Nautique

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 6:21pm

And when so many in the private sector are hurting why should public sector jobs be untouchable? the mone for the public sector comes from the private sector and the private sector could create 2 jobs for the price of every postal employee.

Actually they would probably create 12 because they would outsource their work to China. But who the heck cares about the American worker anyway? Screw them, I only care about me. Me! Me! Me! Oh and of course my corporate profits.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 11:19am
Eric, why did the 4.95 thing get shut down? mmaybe it was going to put them futher in the red. When you loosing a dollar per package how many more packages can you afford to deliver? What about shared sacrifice, why are post office employees not asked to share? Would the country and economy not be better off if all of them took a 10% compensation cut but remained employed rather that 10% of them loosing their jobs,going on unemployment, and post office hours being cut to further hamper their competitiveness?
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 10:06am
thats how I started the conversation Dave, Congress shut down the USPS campaign on the "4.95 to ship anywhere in the US" we really are not broke from overspending, we are broke from the lack of jobs in this country,
one must understand that the USPS at the end of the day throws a trillion dollars into the economy, gas, repairs, corner diners, hookers, drug dealers, delivery vehicles, office products, stamp makers. shutting them down not only affects the workers but all the entities that fed off of that trillion dollars.
same identical thing happened here in Cleveland when the mills were shut down, you minus well call Cleveland Chernobyl,
the country is turning into a service country because we no longer have a product to sell, and yes you probably can get top dollar for a service,
in a thriving economy, people must work, you have to keep the cycle going to thrive
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2011 at 11:02pm
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2011 at 10:42pm
Devalueing to some is right pricing to others, market pricing is an increadably reliable form of price regulation. Construction is down. But my company has found a nich in high end high customer service work. we can charge more than most because of what we have proven we can deliver. Those that cannot are working at rates 50 % or more below us. Many have left the industry because they can not find work. All natural regulating forces. The post office is in decline and either needs to find something else they can do better than anyone else and charge accorrdingly, or they need to price and size labor accordingly. You say the labor is not gualified for much else, that means they have no where elso to go and will stay if their wages are cut. If this is the case then they are getting paid to much. Why should tax payers overpay for something they are hardly using? That is why we are broke.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2011 at 9:35pm
when the sunshines, you make hay.
im a firm believer in spreading the wealth, i feel its the responsibility of the employer to train and pay as you go, when I say unskilled, i mean a 30 year guy gets thrown out into the job force after sorting mail all of his life or even delivering, not a dummy by any means, a devoted person, In his mind he took care of his employer and i feel the employer should take care of him. we once lived in the land of opportunity and there were more jobs than people which drove the wage up, and long and behold appeared the unions...we're kinda opposite of that now.
your in the construction trade, I know your competing against probably 5 other bids, and usually the lowest bid gets the job nowadays. so you will automatically lower your bids to compete, once again devalueing
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2011 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

lets throw another 120,000 unskilled into the labor force,

Are you saying we have been paying union scale (Over 50 hr when benifits are included ) for unskilled labor? And you claim they did not overspend?
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2011 at 1:38pm
monopoly increases prices, competition brings pricing down,
lets throw another 120,000 unskilled into the labor force, The USPS was cut off at the knees, with the web, to tell you the truth i dont even know how much a stamp costs today.
pretty much the same philosophy's apply in the oil industry, technologies caught up and big business is stalling the introduction of fossil free transportation, delaying the fck out of the mpg standards, its not drill baby drill, its burn baby burn,
and to think technology is catching up for you radical catholics lol, wait until they unveil "the schpincter 2000 spaceship" that may change your mind about evolution
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2011 at 12:59pm
Speaking of the USPS....I was getting my morning brainwashing, er, uhm, I mean news, from Fox News, and they had a segment on them. The USPS is in really bad shape right now.

- They are going to default on a $5 Billion dollar payment (I assume previous bailout loan) to the Feds....wait for it....unless Congress "takes action" which I'll bet is a euphamism for another bailout (a bailout of the bailout) Whats next....a bailout of the bailout of the bailout?

- They are considering closing 3700 offices, and the possibilty of laying off 120,000 people despite an agreement with our old friend the union that mandates a "no layoff policy".

- Very high labor costs vs. Fed Ex and UPS. Exerpt from an article I found online....

"Years of the agency making contractual promises to unionized workers have caused the service’s labor cost to soar to 80 percent of total expenses. In comparison, similar private shipment businesses have lower labor costs at 53 percent for United Parcel Service and 32 percent for FedEx."

- The USPS is running at a $9 Billion annual deficeit currently.

- If they were a private entity, they would in essence be close to having to file for Chapter 11.   

Hey, I have a GREAT idea.....Lets have the government run our healthcare system. Great idea!!! Why, I'll bet quality would go way up, and costs would come way down in no time at all. But, the biggest benefit of all would be that the government would have even more power over its minions.

Hail to Dear Leader Obama
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2011 at 12:02pm
Yall ask Roger(UK1979?) what a candle cost in the early 70's. Better yet, ask him why!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2011 at 11:50am
Eric, I suppose we should be subsidising the candle and buggy whip industries also. The're jobs, so what if technology has rendered them useless. We need a strong economy that creates jobs, not created jobs dragging down our economy.

As for the 4.95 thing, in that case they are the victim of government regulation. That is bad for everyone, and the point I have been trying to make. Regulation is legislators sticking their grubby little fingers into others business trying to get the outcome that benndfits the legislator the most. It always has unintended (or very intended) consequences. That is one of the problems of too much government. It is great that you picked up on that, now just figure out the solution. (Hint, it is not more democrats in office)
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 20>
  Share Topic