NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

It's getting hot!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's getting hot!
    Posted: August-02-2011 at 9:13am
Here in the Chicago area, we've been geting some hot and humid weather. I know for some of you mid 90's is just a cool summer breeze but we're feeling it! Needing to work on my YH rebuilds in my garage and with the heat finally getting into it, I turned on the AC in it. Actually it's a box fan in the doorway from the house. It works and doesn't seem to over tax the AC on the first floor of the house.

It was brutal in the plant yesterday and I couldn't even spend much time in the AC of my office. We're putting the repaired 48,000lb ram back into our 1000 ton press and I'm out there with the machinery movers. The press is 60's era and the steel is work hardened so there were cracks all over it. Broken main screws (12" diameter) and barrels too. The cracks were repaired by "metal stitching" to avoid and heat related stress from welding. Stitching is a real interesting process. Dog bone shaped holes are drilled and milled across the crack at about every 1" and almost the depth of the steel being repaired. (there's some 6" thick plate in the ram) Then, 1/4" thick layers of dog bone shaped 4140 pieces are peened into the hole a layer at a time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2011 at 2:39am
Yes it is hot Pete and the mosquitoes in the last 2 days have exploded,they almost carry you away the moment you walk in a yard. Full sun too. But today this one took the cake. Over the years I have run into snakes in our boxes,flying squirrels,birds,mice but never a opossum! I hated to interupt his call but his 3 minutes were up

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
67425ks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67425ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2011 at 3:11am
Maybe someone on here thinks that mid 90s is a cake walk but I'll take our 100s with low humidity any day. You folks must have gills to be able to breath that air. I'm heading to Iowa on Friday to visit family so I guess I will have to learn to adapt.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2011 at 8:32am
Gary,
Are those cans open on the bottom? I'm just wondering how it got in! He/she needs Uverse service to get past the 3 minutes!! Had it been chewing on the insulation?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2011 at 11:47am
This can was Pete either the ground settled or was never put in right. Boss was not concerned possome wasn't leaving so I did.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2011 at 2:16pm
I would have to agree with you guys. It has been hot down here in Tx. The bad part is all Tx lakes are at least 5-40 ft low and no rain in sight. I can actually say, I am ready for fall and hope it ia a rainy wet winter.

Great pic gary
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2011 at 7:38pm
Pete, I think I'll trade places with you. Iron foundry in Iowa...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2011 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Pete, I think I'll trade places with you. Iron foundry in Iowa...

I take it you're still working for the foundry organization group!! Yeh, it's got to be real bad!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2011 at 9:27pm
Ok, I'm sure glad my wife and kids are up north for the summer. The 5 gal. pail of carb cleaner that I just opened up does create quite an odor and with my "cheap ass A/C (box fan in the doorway from the house into the garage), the odor of the carb cleaner has gotten into at least the first floor of my house. Now, I have never been bothered by solvents. In fact, in most cases, I will not even spray with a mask!! But, if any of the rest of the family was home, I'd hear about it BIG time. My daughter for example will complain (as well as other "bitchy comments") when I take my shoes off and can't handle some foot odor!!!!!! Man, I have got to get her out of the house!! The wedding is next summer!!

BTW,
That carb cleaner went right to work on the paint. I'm leaving the first carb soak until the weekend and start on it. Per Billy's call today, I want to do one carb at one time - One old part out and one new rebuild part in!! I need the old carb as a reference!!

The outside of the can has all the "Cas" numbers listed and the %. Some of them I recognize from all the Haz Mat I do at work but some I don't. The weird one is a "tail oil fatty acid"!! The smell really isn't a solvent smell but more of a "oily" smell which I would say comes from this "Tail" oil!!

Eric is absolutely correct - the good old stuff which was actual;y caustic was the greatest. In fact, you really needed to monitor how long you kept the zinc die cast part of the carb body in the stuff. If too long, you'd end up with a piece of junk!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 10:47pm
This damn carb cleaner I got won't even remove the old paint from the outside of the carb!!! After 2 days of soaking, I finally resorted to pulling out the paint stripper. Of course that had been sitting around for a couple of years so most of the methyline chloride was evaporated off and I was left with a half galleon of a googly mess!! It still had some "guts" to it and did do some work on the paint.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 11:02pm
Yes I thought that too Pete. I miss the old stuff.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2011 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Yes I thought that too Pete. I miss the old stuff.

I should of like you, just bought the 1 gal. size of the stuff!! now I'm stuck with $150 of junk!! Well, it does do something. I pre stripped the paint off the second YH and will see if that works better.

Also, this came in the old style 5 gal metal bucket with the tabs that are bend down over the rim of the bucket. They tell you to keep it sealed well when not in use to prevent unwanted evaporation. Well, this is a great idea but when I opened up the lid, the gasket was so swollen that it's no longer usable!! I got the snips out, cut all the metal tabs off the lid and plan on using some HD duct tape to try to seal it after I'm done with it. It will be interesting to find out how well the duct tape holds up!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2011 at 5:15pm
Well, I just added about 3/4's of a gallon of acetone to the "carb cleaner" to see if it will boost the strength!! Damn EPA!!! I don't care if I have non painted carbs but I'd like to see all the old paint off!!

I will need to do some painting. The throttle body (butterfly) section of the YH is cast iron rather than a zinc die casting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2011 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Yes it is hot Pete and the mosquitoes in the last 2 days have exploded
They are back!! Or, never really left!! I was just out doing some yard work are you are correct - they are horrible!! And, I'm in the North Shore Mosquito Abatement district!! Like most publicly paid organizations, they have most likely been cut back too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2011 at 5:44pm
Well, I'm in the middle of the first YH rebuild!! I'll tell you one thing, is the old Zenith up drafts I'm used to doing are sure simpler!! This thing has got to have around a hundred itty bitty parts that you need to pay attention to plus all the adjustments. The instructions always lack and you are always left out in the cold with "gray areas"!! Thankfully I have two carbs and had the foresight to do one at one time so I could always look at the other one for reference! The other big plus is Billy! I also took pictures from all angles so I did have a down the road reference.

Billy has become our on site YH expert!!! I've already been on the phone with him two times! Beside the bad instructions, with any carb rebuild kit, they always include parts that aren't needed but the big question is are they needed for my application or not!! Gaskets are another story - why do I need 3 identical gaskets out of the same kit for a rebuild? Damn, I'm leaning towards a lazy guy out in the shop putting these things together and not really counting properly or even worse, can't count at all!! BTW, the gasket in question is the one between the main die cast body of the carb itself and the cast iron section where the throttle butterfly is located. 3 identical gaskets!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 12:46am
lol Gary...do miss the buried 'surprises'! Or the bird nests in the old RA terminals.

don't miss them all that much tho...heard from one of my crew back in Cleveland that they have brought in out of state guys and are hiring back guys that recently retired. Still plenty of OT for the local techs. So much for their 'forecasts'...some things never change!

john

sorry for the thread jack Pete.
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic