NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Supreme Knowledge base?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski Supreme Knowledge base?
    Posted: August-02-2011 at 4:54pm
My buddy that was looking at inboards picked up a 1985 Ski Supreme!

351w 240 hp just like most of us. I'm sure he is lurking around here somewhere following our threads. He is a Nautique fan...but couldn't afford one just yet.

Who knows what kind of prop is great on this boat? I'm clueless. Sent an email to ACME to see what they think.

Looks like a fun little boat, it had a stringer rebuild from bottom up, new floor, new carpet, wet sand and trailer had been sand blasted and painted to look new as well.

Right now he is struggling with a problem like most of us have seen, after the boat gets hot it has a hard time starting. Coil, Solenoid, EI conversion, running lean, carb issues, etc etc...

Trying to help him out best I can, it's also his first inboard. Taking him out on a training session this weekend!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 4:58pm
Most likely a Acme 541 is the way to go (LH version of the 540). Hard restart when hot... take a look down the throat of the carb after shut down and see if its dripping. I bet it is = rebuild carb.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 5:03pm
Thanks Tim!

Just talked to him about that. No fuel dripping, full carb rebuild last year (that I was unaware of)

We'll check out the 541! Anything else for the hot start?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 1:25pm
They are good boats. Probably my second choice behind a CC. I skied behind a 93 with a LT1. That thing would get.

You might have him take some fuel injection hose , slit it open and wrap it around the metal fuel line going to the carb. Seemed to help my vapor lock problem by giving it a little insulation.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 2:31pm
Try AMskierboats.com Ron Tanis who worked for and owned American skier for years was a design engineer for ski supreme for a few years. He is one of the most knowledgeable guys around when it comes to ski boats in general and will be more than willing to answer any questions he can.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 5:52pm
An 85 wood-based supreme? must have been an early year model i suspect?

Now prop depends what you want to do with the boat.

Actually, a later vintage (87 and newer) 3 blade Federal 13x13 is not bad at all on that boat, very nice 26-36 mph ski wake and all-around prop.

I tried a 4 blade acme, forget the model, but the roost was prohibitive. Very narrow propwash and high roost.

I run a 4 blade OJ 4 Force 13x13, The holeshot is fabulous, and the propwash is very spread out vs the acme, the wake is very low and void of roost. Great 28-36 mph ski wake. If you don't want to eff around, just get one of these.

Load the boat as light as you can, else the side spray is high and a pita when its windy at shortline.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 5:56pm
Thanks Tom, have any idea what size shaft is on them? I'm assuming 1" but you never know...

He will probably NEVER slalom ski competitively behind it, and if he does it'll be simply for a fun ski run. Comments are still appreciated. Thanks for all the help guys, keep it coming!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 6:16pm
Nice boat from what I have seen! I believe they have the deck that goes down to the floor like the 80's supra boats had. Makes them seem a little smaller inside but give a nice clean look.

Whats he going to do with it Mike? Please tell me he's not putting a tower on it!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 6:26pm
Yes, 1" shaft on those.

I only recall seeing a 1 1/8 shaft used with a 1:1 tranny on the Sangers.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 6:28pm
I'm working on getting some pics of his new ride up here soon...
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 7:06pm
By the way Chris, no, no tower that I know of...
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
mrwillya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrwillya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 8:58pm
Hi there...I'm mdvalant's buddy with the Ski Supreme, here are a few pics.....no Nautique, but a good first ski boat!

mrwillya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrwillya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 8:59pm
Yikes...will have to resize those later!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 9:50pm
At the time that boat was built, Supreme's were every bit as desirable as a CC, and honestly had a better water ski wake. There were features about the CC that were great as well. But, point is, that Supreme should serve you well. BKH
Livin' the Dream

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 10:43pm
nice looking boat!
Liledgy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liledgy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 2:14am
The hull is a MC clone minus the slot.
mrwillya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrwillya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 6:24pm
Thanks, will be taking this thing to the Mississippi tomorrow. This will be my second time out, and I'm just hoping I don't have a repeat of the no starting incident!

Tonight I'm insulating the gas lines and replacing a seal in the carb that was leaking fueling into the engine compartment. So maybe the insulating will clear up the potential vapour lock.

I'll be getting my official inboard boat driving lesson too!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 7:02pm
Don't bother with the insulation, there is no vapor lock on those boats. Its either getting gas, or it isn't.

Describe the symptom in delail...

River Rat to Mole
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Don't bother with the insulation, there is no vapor lock on those boats. Its either getting gas, or it isn't.

I have agreed with Tom and commented on it several times. Our engines run cool compared to autos. We have millions of gallons of water available to cool or engines. We are not talking about a stretched black colored limo with a 220 T stat, sitting out in the Los Vegas sun with the AC on full blast!!! DO NOT listen to an auto mechanic (sorry, they call themselves "techs" now!!!)   

Jeremy,
What seal is leaking fuel?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I have agreed with Tom and commented on it several times. Our engines run cool compared to autos. We have millions of gallons of water available to cool or engines. We are not talking about a stretched black colored limo with a 220 T stat, sitting out in the Los Vegas sun with the AC on full blast!!! DO NOT listen to an auto mechanic (sorry, they call themselves "techs" now!!!)   

Jeremy,

So then how did the insulation help larry?
i would guess his engine would have to create more heat than ours to cause it to vapor lock?
im just trying to understand.does the Liquid fuel turn to a "VAPOR" like freon does causing the boat to run basically on fumes?
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
mrwillya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrwillya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 8:33pm
I took the Supreme out and drove it for about an hour straight, we stopped and swam for about 45 minutes, hopped in the boat and it wouldn't start. We assumed I flooded it, but we checked the plugs and they were dry (and very white, lean?). We also checked the spark and were getting that (otherwise I assumed the plugs would have been wet). Gas was going into the carb fine when I pumped it.

It finally started after 30 mins of tinkering (all unsuccessful). I finally got ticked and pumped it like 5 times (in anger) and it started. I'm not sure if it was timing or the pumping that actually got her going.

Drove her all the way back for 30 mins, shut it off for 20 mins and she started just fine.
mrwillya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrwillya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 8:36pm

Jeremy,

The "fuel bowl screw gasket" part #108-2-20

Number 2 on this exploded view:
http://www.holley.com/HolleyCatalog/Catalog.asp?pageNumber=64
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 9:06pm
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 9:06pm
Jeremy,
Number one, you need to learn how to post links on CCfan. It's a little different than other sites!! I went to the Holley site and could not find the part that's leaking. Considering your issues as posted, I feel you have other problems and you should consider a complete carb rebuild.

If you have a gasket leaking on the fuel bowl, you have TOO much fuel and the needle/seat/float is screwed up. Please, get help!! I feel it's over your head but, listen to what the experts tell you!!

BTW, you never answered my question - are you listening to auto guys?? They really have no clue of what's going on under the dog house of a marine engine. Get help some place else - it sounds like you could need it but, also help here is fantastic!!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 9:37pm
That is a nice looking Ski Supreme. Hope you get that issue fixed, and welcome to CC fan.

I remeber when I went to ski school up on Possum Kingdom lake at Camp Grady Spruce, all they had where Ski Supreme's. They where lots of fun and enjoyed learining how to ski behind them. Enjoy the boat

Ski Cat 2001
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

mrwillya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrwillya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 10:16pm

Jeremy,
Number one, you need to learn how to post links on CCfan. It's a little different than other sites!! I went to the Holley site and could not find the part that's leaking. Considering your issues as posted, I feel you have other problems and you should consider a complete carb rebuild.

If you have a gasket leaking on the fuel bowl, you have TOO much fuel and the needle/seat/float is screwed up. Please, get help!! I feel it's over your head but, listen to what the experts tell you!!

BTW, you never answered my question - are you listening to auto guys?? They really have no clue of what's going on under the dog house of a marine engine. Get help some place else - it sounds like you could need it but, also help here is fantastic!!!!!

First off, I appreciate the vote of confidence. I've happen to rebuild several carbs in my lifetime. =)

Second it was professionally rebuilt last year.

If I was leaking fuel into the bowl, wouldn't it be flooded with too much fuel, thus wet plugs?

I'm listening to the different posts that I searched for on this website.
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2011 at 2:01pm

Jeremy,

Thanks for your assumption, I'm not an auto mechanic.

To continue, do you not realize it takes very little heat to vaporize fuel? Perhaps if it was turbine fuel (also known as kerosine or diesel, for the "boat tech") there wouldn't be enough to vaporize it.

Next, put a thermometer under the hood of your boat vs hood of your car. A car's engine is completely open on the bottom! Your boat is practically sealed when the hatch is down, thus the reason for a blower to clear the fuel. I will give you this, Pete, we do have access to an unlimited supply of cooling water. But riddle me this battman, exactly where does that water cool the fuel? I can't find a single heat exchanger on my boat like I can on my JT15. Then finally, have you ever noticed how the temperature of your engine increases after shut off? Especially with the hatch down, again because there is NO ventilation like on your car. It is because of this the fuel in your metal fuel line can vaporize. It takes very little heat to cause this problem.

Everyone is welcome to do what they want, take my advice, or don't. Frankly I don't care, it's your boat. And Pete, you often give good advice, like your alignment video. Top notch. However, you also act like a prick a good bit of the time.

Sincerely yours, the "auto mechanic".
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2011 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by surroundsound64 surroundsound64 wrote:

you also act like a prick a good bit of the time. Sincerely yours, the "auto mechanic".

From the "prick": I'm very happy that you found out the problem with your engine!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2011 at 3:58pm
Larry,
I'm sorry you feel that way about me. Yes, sometimes when needed I can be on the abrupt side. A good example would be when someone posts a dangerous situation with say using auto parts. Other times I feel it's just a communication problem. It can be real difficult to express feelings/emotions in the written word and I'm by no means an expert with it. Thankfully someone came up with the great idea with the "emocicons" and I try to use them whenever I can.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2011 at 3:59pm
Egad

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic