Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

60 MPH Club, finally made it!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 60 MPH Club, finally made it!
    Posted: August-08-2011 at 11:16am
Well, this turned out to be a good weekend for me. Saturday afternoon after some rains came thru and most peole were off the lake I took out the 77 Ski Nautique which has a stroker 351W, now 392 cubic inches spinning lefty.Previously I was running a Acme 431 and spinning 5700-5800 rpm's and getting 57-58mph. Since this engines peak horsepower is at 5500 I decided to get a Acme 1459 and try it out. Made a pass back and forth on the third basin of Lake James and looked at the GPS and it was 60.1 mph.Definately made my day as I was grinning ear to ear. The prop brought the rpm's down to 5000-5100 at WOT. Now if I want I can throw some more mod's at the motor to gain some more hp. Still smiling on Monday on my way to work.
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 12:51pm
impressive

95 Ski Nautique GT40
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 1:33pm
Wow....

The 84 Ski Tique made it up to 64 MPH this morning....on the trailer
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 2:30pm
So how does it handle at 57+... do you feel the LH prop contributes significantly to any leaning towards the driver side at lower speeds?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
skyway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 3:08pm
Can I get a ride??
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 4:13pm
Got any more info on the engine build?

The rpm vs. speed numbers look pretty close to correct with the 1459 (reversed 1458). You seem to be way off with the 431 (reversed 430) though, based on the limited data we have now. IIRC, Alan is spinning that prop ~5200 at 55-56mph on his '81, which has the same hull as you. Hotboat was pretty close with his Martinique as well. I would not expect to see those last 400-500 RPM only good for 1-2mph. Interesting nonetheless.

Like Joe, Im curious how the boat behaves above 55mph... a few of us have started to note some "interesting" behavior at the limit. The LH powertrain has me intrigued as well.

If that 60mph is a repeatable number, then congrats- a few of us have touched it, but not consistently enough for our liking!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 4:17pm
I dont know if he is that far off on the 431 numbers.. back when I was running that prop I also found it to fall off a cliff at the upper limits, the last 200 rpm werent worth a half mile an hour.. I attributed it to flex/slippage
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 4:25pm
Good point Joe- anything is possible. For kicks, I looked up Hotboat's numbers again.

Originally posted by hotboat hotboat wrote:

I just picked up a 430 for fathers day and am very pleased , got a quick run in though it was sprinkling but the rpms were 5200-5400 and 56-57 mph on the garmin.

Those numbers look pretty darn consistent with what Alan has seen.

Of course, we're relying on old (inaccurate?) tachs in most cases, so who knows what to believe. That 430 seems to be a good match on a 2nd gen SN hull with a hot 351w... maybe the torque that a few more cubes brings pushes it past the range where it works efficiently?
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 4:44pm
Joe, In the past with the 431 prop at 55+ the boat had tended to porpoise at times, not always, but a lot of times. This back to back run actually did not porpoise at all and I did not realize I was going that fast due to the engine rpm's being only around 5000. I was really happily surprised by this. At slow speeds it does list to the starboard side but no problems with its handling.

Tim, like I noted above 55+ would at time porpoise but I don't know if was attributed to Lake conditions or not. I will not take the boat out on speed runs unless the water is relatively calm. As for the build specs it is just an older 392 Ford Racing crate engine rated at 430 hp at 5500 rpm's. 9.7:1 compression, roller cam .563 lift intake and .584 lift exhaust,GT-40 heads with 1.94 intake and 1.54 exhaust.It has an Edelbrock dual plane with a Barry Grant marine demon 750 and some Hiteks.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 9:49pm
I wish mine would porpoise then recover.. hey has anyone tried hole shot racing to see what its like head to head first 100 ft? 1/8th mi? are there some monster launches that run out of steam at 55?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 10:29pm
Tim, I wondered about tach accuracy and also it being such a small sweep on my boat so I changed the tach to a Autometer pro-comp marine 0-7000 RPM with a hourmeter along with the rest of the gauges and senders this spring. I didn't want to be guessing about the RPM'S and then making changes. The new tach is much easier to get an accurate reading.
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 1:13am
congrats Papa! cool numbers. Jeff
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 2:35am
Holy cow, that is really fast. What is the wake like at that speed? I can read the 80's WaterSki Magazine review now (back when their boat reviews were really awesome):

"The table was a little rough and hard, but the wakes are very minimal and easy to cross. You'll have to contend with some spray at short line lengths, which really stings at 60 MPH."
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 2:36am
I suspect the porpiosing with the other prop was due to being on the wrong side of the torque curve, it was falling off above 5500, setting up an oscillation. Now that its pulling harder, it runs flat.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 11:21am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

I suspect the porpiosing with the other prop was due to being on the wrong side of the torque curve, it was falling off above 5500, setting up an oscillation. Now that its pulling harder, it runs flat.

I don't doubt there is some of that going on, but I have also noticed that on several of the heavily powered boats you go past a speed where you will see any porpiosing. My boat will run relatively bow high until about 57 then it is nose planted until you run out of motor or cavitate the rudder, and I am running well past the hump of my torque curve in the 5900+ range. The boat also behaves pretty similarly but slightly slower with the big prop that only runs 5000 or so rpm. Similar behavior occurs with reids orange and white mustang even though there is less than factory hook left in the hull. Tims barefoot (when it is running) also seems pretty well planted at higher speeds.

Just be careful to keep the rudder in the water, and particularily careful coming down the backside of waves traveling in the same direction.. they help the nose down and the rudder up.. slowing down mid wave is also not encouraged as you can drop the nose quick. A lanyard kill switch is not a bad idea either..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 11:50am
a cavitation plate could help the rudder to run wet and the hull to sit farther back in it's running surface.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 11:59am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Tims barefoot (when it is running) also seems pretty well planted at higher speeds.

Ouch!

Very true though. I havent driven the boat enough to know exactly when it plants the nose, but its well north of 50mph, thats for sure. I suspect that at some point, the steep shaft angle simply overcomes the hull's propensity to porpoise.

No one stated it above, but I dont consider porpoising to be a bad or scary tendency. If youre bouncing, it means youve got plenty of bow lift- and getting the hull out of the water will generally speed the boat up a bit. If you look at pictures of some of the boats doing speed runs, you'll notice that there will generally be some weight in the back seat (1-3 passengers) and only the driver up front. Things like chine locking, rudder stalling, etc- that cause unpredictable and uncontrolled maneuvers at speed are the types of things you want to prevent.

Joe, a little off topic here- but I was looking at the boat on the lift the other day and couldnt help but notice how much further the prop extends into the water past the rudder. Its a safety requirement on v-drive flat/drag boats that the rudder extend a certain distance past the prop. Something to think about.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 9:45am
i thought i was going to hit the 60 year old club before you guys hit the 60mph club
"the things you own will start to own you"
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 11:15am
got you by a yr ?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 2:15am
I have experanced rudder stall in my mustang at high speeds the ride is extremly wild after that. a kill switch is advisable.
Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 2:44am
What is rudder stall?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Alex47 Alex47 wrote:

What is rudder stall?

It's air and not water around the rudder so, you loose some or most control of the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fiz140 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiz140 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 12:40pm
Way to go Papa. It's great to see what you and Bryan have done with my old boat.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 1:40pm
now some pictures of wild footing behind that 60mph beast!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 8:36pm
pictures/video or it didnt happen!
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 9:34pm
I hate to be the one who missed a previous post/discussion, Tim, your BFN isn't running? Could have fooled me from the photo above.

Ken
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 10:38am
Originally posted by connorssons connorssons wrote:

I have experanced rudder stall in my mustang at high speeds the ride is extremly wild after that. a kill switch is advisable.

Great idea from you and Joe both. I will definately put one in.
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 10:43am
Originally posted by fiz140 fiz140 wrote:

Way to go Papa. It's great to see what you and Bryan have done with my old boat.

Bill, I know Bryan has kept you updated in the past, glad to see you are still interested. I sure he will stay in touch as there is more to come. John.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic