NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

78/79 ski-tique rod knocking

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
Author
allanonjj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanonjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 78/79 ski-tique rod knocking
    Posted: August-17-2011 at 3:58pm
Ok,.... hello all. This is my first post so Im gonna try and make it valid.   I bought a ski-tique for $1500 from a buddy thinking I would be able to get the timing right (reverse engine, thought he had it wrong) and have a good running boat. Thats not however what I got myself into. Come to find out there is a rod knocking under load, the fuel tank is about 50% fuel, the rest is water and trash, and because of the dirty fuel tank, Im thinking I will need to replace the carb. The heads say that its a 302 but I seem to recall seeing somewhere on the block that say 289 or something (cant remember the exact cubic inch).
Heres my question: I found this kit on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Marine-302-MASTER-Engine-Kit-Pistons-Cam-REV-2pc-/170649103500?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bb7aac8c

and heres a crankshaft http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-302-crankshaft-kit-w-bearings-1982-90-15850-/380357391297?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588f1133c1

Other than the machine work, is there anything else I need to be concerned with when I pull the engine to do the rebuild? Im not a "mechanic" but Ive built several 11 second imports (Hondas) and put a fuel injected vortec 350 in a 2000 s10, along with several other head jobs and what not.. (my point is that I am very mechanicaly inclined) Ive ever worked on a marine engine, not to mention one that spins reverse the normal direction so im just asking for any "heads ups" that I can get from folks who have done or do this kind of rebuild.

1.Is there anything different on the crankshaft of a "reverse" engine? The one in the link above is for a stock 302 car engine so unless someone tells me otherwise I'll be ordering it.

2.What type of carburetor should I put back on? Im sure I could spend a gazillion dollars on the best of the best but Im not trying to win any trophies here. I just want a good running boat with decent fuel economy. I need to be able to have 4 people in the boat and 2 wakeboarding/tubing or whatever. Any links to said carburetor would be gretly appreciated.

3. I know from personal experience with other hobbies that sometimes these "ebay kits" arent quality so if you KNOW that its not, please speak up.

4.Can I use a normal cherry picker to get the engine out of the boat? I suppose I could make a little wooden frame to set the cherry picker on to allow for more vertical lift to clear the sides of the boat if necessary.

Like I said before, if there are any "what out for this" things I should kepp an eye out for, please tell me.

Thanks in advance!

JJ
229-224-4757
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 5:07pm
You might want to check out this thread 302 Teardown

There are some specifics such as rear main seal differences depending on rotation that you want to think about.

For carb you want a MARINE Holley 4160. You can get them at a few different places.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 5:11pm
JJ,
Welcome to CCfan.

Regarding getting the engine out with an engine hoist, depending on it's lifting height, you may need to take the tire/wheel off one side of the trailer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
allanonjj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanonjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 5:48pm
thanks for the advice on the carb,.. Know where I can get it the cheapest? Ebay?
As for the 302 Teardown thread, It was helpfull with opinions on stroker vs not and which part #s and all but the guy that did that thread didnt do the actual teardown himself. Im going to be pulling the heads and bottom end off the block and taking a bare block to the machine shop. If there are any pesky bolts that like to break off in the head or anything like that or if theres a "trick" to getting the flux capacitor off or something,.. that is what I need to know about. Also, I assume that repair book in there has the torque specs for the heads/mains/lowers etc... If so,.. Ill get it ordered.
Thanks again,.. keep it coming please
allanonjj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanonjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 5:49pm
will do about the trailer,... Does my engine have a two piece rear seal?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 5:58pm
As far as the carb, I'd tend to stay off eBay for the most part. Check with SkiDim (which has a 10 % discount if you use code "USA"), Nautiqueparts.com, MyCorrectCraftParts.com or Jody on the site who is FLInboards. You can get them specifically for the 302 vs. the 351 and make sure you go Marine.

Not sure on the main seal question. Hopefully someone else can weigh in on that. I don't know if there's anyway to tell until you've got it apart.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 6:00pm
on the carb summit has a good price also...I´d sure check there!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
allanonjj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanonjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 6:08pm
thanks guys.

Heres my boat:

Is there anything weird you can see from the photos that I should be concerned about?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 6:13pm
4150 for a 302
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 6:14pm
get rid of the vacuum advance also, its for a car
you need a flyweight advance dist.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 6:22pm
Nice looking boat all in all.

+1 on the distributor.

I thought a 4150 Holley was a double pumper? I though the 302s just took a different CFM rating of the 4160?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 6:25pm
i see lots of non marine part! the dizzy as eric states! and that edelbrick sure its not marine!
you need a flame arrestor, not a air filter! that is some serious hacked boat!
rubber fuel hose on the hp side not usgc approved!

on the marine thing is safety hazzard! automotive parts such as fuel pump, carb, dizzy will work just fine, but are not leak proof nor ignition protected, so in a bilge and the collection of gas fumes can make your boat blow up!!!!
so first off you better start swapping all non marine parts there!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 6:26pm
that ring replament it creative though
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 6:32pm
4150 its indeed a dp! I think the right would be the 4160 on its 450cfm version if you plan on keeping it stock!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 6:39pm
You had better do a stringer check too!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

4150 its indeed a dp! I think the right would be the 4160 on its 450cfm version if you plan on keeping it stock!

Kap's correct. You want a 450cfm Holley 4160 (with vacuum secondaries).

Your engine is a 302... the change from 289 to 302 occurred back in '67-69.
allanonjj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanonjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 8:11pm
OK,.. SO NOW THATS WHAT iM TALKING ABOUT.
1.I assume "4150 for a 302" means a Holley 4150 carb for the 302?
2. I can tune a fuel map and re-flash it on an ecm but when it comes to carburetors my knowledge is a little on the lacking side. What is the "vacuum advance"?
3. Where can I get a "flyweight advance dist". Is it a really light distributor thats ahead of its class?...lol
4.Ive HEARD of a flame arrestor but dont know what exactly it is. I think it is supposed to keep a backfire from coming up and igniting fuel vapors right?
5."rubber fuel hose on the hp side not usgc approved!" Is that the rubber hose that runs to the back of the carb? Should it be some sort of high pressure hose? If so, where can I get one? What does USGC mean?
6. "that ring replament it creative though" What do you mean by ring replacement?

Thank you sooo much! I am soaking this up like a sponge.... well more like a terry cloth (thats a lot to take in all at once,.. lol)
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 8:31pm
1.) 4150 and 4160 are two very similar models of 4 barrel Holley Carburetor. Holley uses modular carbs, so certain things are the same. What's mainly different is the way the secondary barrels open. The 4150 opens them mechanically, and also the second set of barrels have their own accelerator pump, that's how it gets to be called "double pumper."

Most ski boats will have the 4160 vacuum secondary because the secondaries don't open until the conditions are right. If they opened too soon (before the motor is revved up enough) you can get a bog.

2.) Vacuum advance refers to the distributor. You want mechanical for a boat for a couple of reasons. I think the vacuum port is a potential channel for escaped spark. Also, load conditions are different on a boat, and the weighted advance addresses that better.

I think it's largely because boats are never "coasting" like a car would. I think the vacuum advance can pile on more advance than a boat motor can handle under load, but I'd happily be corrected with a good explanation. Not sure on that myself.

3.) You can get a good marine (weight advance) dist using any of the parts places above, or by swapping around through this site.

4.)Flame arestor is a boat's version of an air cleaner. You generally don't have dusty air while boating, so this piece is specialized to concentrate on keeping the flash of any backfire at bay.

5.) Different type of fuel line. You wanted hardened line for the fuel that's under pressure from the fuel pump.

6.) I'll leave that for Kap to explain

Most of the differences come from the fact that spilled gasoline and escaped vapors have no where to go in the bilge of a boat. In a car, they just excape onto the ground or the open air. That's why the blower is so important to.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

I think it's largely because boats are never "coasting" like a car would. I think the vacuum advance can pile on more advance than a boat motor can handle under load, but I'd happily be corrected with a good explanation. Not sure on that myself.

There is no need for vacuum advance on a marine distributor because boats is always under load (never coasting), thus, timing is 100% dependent on RPM (mechanical advance). In normal street operation, cars see a huge range of different driving conditions, where vacuum advance is necessary. There is a good explanation of how it works here.

Basically, a distributor with vacuum advance would work just fine in a boat- but that feature will never be utilized. The mechanical advance will do it all. However, the fact that the distributor is not marine grade is a major safety problem- and should be replaced with a proper one. The vacuum advance mechanism simply makes it easier to spot.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 9:21pm
JJ,
Listen to us and not that "buddy" you bought that "basket" case boat from. You actually consider him to be a friend!! I have got to ask but was he the actual guy who "bastardized" that engine?? Personally, I sure would not ask him for any more advice!! You have a bomb just waiting to happen under that dog house.

Don't forget, considering looking at the pictures as well as the age of the boat, you MUST check out the stringer condition

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 10:32pm
JJ here is a good book on rebuilding a small block Ford. Im not current on reverse rotation cranks,but there was a difference on early ones and it's all in the rear main seal area.When you take it apart, post a picture of where the seal rides on the crank.Someone will know just looking at it if it's the correct crank and you would be way ahead to have it reground.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 10:35pm
Everything already said is spot on.
Don't get discouraged, we'll get you squared away.

I just must repeat your conditions under the hood are serious,
Ok those pix make my eyes hurt, Cooter's been everywhere it seems this season!
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 11:50pm
JJ,

Hopefully you don't take it too hard. I actually feel like for $1,500, you didn't do too bad for a project boat.

I mean, the engine needs help, but at least there is an engine. And, all of the automotive grade stuff on there, chances are, you'd be replacing it anyway as part of any refurb/restoration.

Some people seem to have a line on deals. But as far as I can tell, the only thing that says Correct Craft on it that you can buy for less than $1,500 is a t-shirt
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

6.) I'll leave that for Kap to explain

Brian,
I think Seb is talking about the "ring and finger" on the pylon. Maybe you missed it but it looks like the PO stuck a hitch pin in it for a 3 point tractor mount!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 9:10am
JJ,
Have you checked the direction that engine spinning? With all that automotive stuff on it, I'm just wondering!!???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 9:59am
sorry, meant 450 cfm
allanonjj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanonjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 12:35pm
Ok,.. I can see this is going to be fun! I love a good challenge.
As for the guy I got it from,.. I asked him a few questions (just general mechanical questions) before I bought the boat and it was plainly obvious that he has NO CLUE about ANYTHING mechanical. This is the same guy that had me meet him to change his tire,... lol I love him to death but a mechanic he IS NOT. He bought the boat from a friend of his (the culprit from which all the automotive parts came about) for $1500 and then had a few of his other buddies "check it out" for him. I hate that it needs some work but from what it looks like I might not be in too bad of shape. After thinking about this for awhile, I think Im just gonna pull the engine, put it on an engine stand, flip it over, and pull the bottom end/crankshaft. I think I may get off with just replacing the crankshaft and bearings, maybe a rod. Im not sure but thats where Im gonna start. Im listening to what everyone is saying about this rear main seal and tell me if I am understanding this correctly,...There are two types of blocks, one has a 1 piece seal and the other has a 2 piece,... right? With that being said,.. are the cranks going to be different? Will the rods in this motor bolt on to a regular stock 302 crank? Also, can I "convert" this block from needing a 2 peice to the "more readily available" 1 peice seal?
What is a stringer?
You guys dont know how much I appreciate the advice,.. youve already saved me hundreds in mistakes (because I know me lol) and it sounds like maybe even my life! (spark arrestor) THANK YOU
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 1:06pm
Go right to this page and skip to about halfway down.

Look for the post where it is TRBENJ followed by ReidP, they get into the difference in the rear seals and the wic lines on the crank etc.
allanonjj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanonjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 1:16pm
Ok, so I had it backwards,.. the 2 piece is more available.... When I get the engine out and apart I'll take pics and post them up so I'll know which one Ive got.
Still curious on the "stringer".   Ive heard of it before but not quite sure what it is and its function.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 1:23pm
Oh, I forgot.

"Stringer" has nothing to do with the engine. It's part of the structure of the hull of the boat. It's almost like a floor joist, and the major ones run from front to back.

Any Correct Craft built before 93 has wooden stringers. And, it's possible for them to get water intrusion, one way or another, and to rot.

Pete is suggesting that you check how sold they are before you go too far. That's another whole project. Do-able, but its a project.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
  Share Topic