Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Set new hour meter

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
roger50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Set new hour meter
    Posted: August-18-2011 at 1:05pm
Hi all,
I have a 2009 Ski Nautique 196. The dealer just replaced the tach/hour meter under warranty, the digital hour meter had gone blank. He told me that once I ran it for a while, the hour meter would pick-up the correct hours from the engine's computer. We ran it over an hour, and the hour meter shows just over an hour time, should be about 175 hours. Any suggestions? How do I get the hour meter to show the correct hours? Thanks.

roger50
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 3:21pm
I have no clue, but since the dealer did the work and it's under warranty, and they told you it would set itself... I would be giving them a call.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
roger50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 4:35pm
Yeah, they are aware of it. Problem is, they are more than a 2 hour drive away. Just trying to find something I could easily do.

roger50
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 4:38pm
Did the dealer suggest disconnecting the battery and re-connecting it or anything like that?

Have no idea either, just thinking of what a boat equivalent to a shut-down and re-boot would be.
roger50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 4:42pm
No, but that's a great idea to try. I know he did not disconnect the battery when he installed the new one. Thanks.

roger50
roger50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 11:20am
Follow-up on the hour meter, I disconnected the battery, left it disconnected for several hours, when I reconnected it, the hour meter was still off, only reading the 1.2 hours since installed. Hope the dealer can come up with a fix.

roger50
dwp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2011 at 5:46pm
I'm curious, did you contact the dealer about adding hours to the Tach/Hour Meter? I have a similar issue with my '00 Sport. The gauges were replaced but the hours are off by 250. I would like to have the hours added, but Faria tell's me that I must take the gauge to a TV repair man and have a "Square" sine wave applied to it for a length of time to bring it up to the correct hours.

There has to be a better way than that. Let me know,
Thanks,
roger50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 8:20pm
Well, the dealer just got back to me. He contacted Correct Craft, and here is the response:

"Yes, they got back to me yesterday. Apparently the guage does store info and when you put a new gauge it starts at zero. The computer on the engine, however, does not zero out. They told me that they have even had it where sometimes the engine hours, on the gauge, will reset it self or not go over 999hrs. Nautique is working with the gauge manufacurer to change this because, like you, cutomers would like to have the total hours displayed. In the mean time the next time the boat goes to the dealer, we can put the engine on the laptop and get a computor print out of the engine hours".

So, you can find out the hours at the dealer's, but not correct the new gauge! Like you said, has to be a better way.

roger50
dwp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 8:34pm
I have an idea for my boat, as I am a DIY'er, but I don't want to post anything until I test it. Wouldn't want to get corrected by the "poobah". I will post when I have a better idea of my theory.

-dave
roger50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 10:13pm
Please let me know how you do, even if you try something that doesn't work.

roger50
dwp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 11:40pm
Yes, as the season comes to an end, I will be pulling the tach. out of the dash and bringing it to the bench before winterization.

I will let you know,
-dave
88 S NAUTIQUE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 S NAUTIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 11:46pm
My hour meter runs whenever the ignition is on. If yours does as well... how about hooking up a battery charger to the battery and leave the ignition on until you reach the desired hours. Engine isn't running so what can it hurt? Just a thought, but my boat is older so may be yours is different.
dwp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 12:06am
Yes, for the older hour meters that works, but the newer hours meters which are part of the tachometer, work off the tach. signal from the engine. Therefore the engine has to be running in order to clock/add hours. I wish it were that easy.

I have also read articles saying that the true hours are found on the older hour meters, as the new digital hours are not true due to increasing/decreasing RPM's from the engine (not sure about that, have not researched it).

-dave
roger50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 5:34pm
Mine also only adds hours when the engine is running, not just when the ignition is on.

roger
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 10:18pm
Dave I also have a bad tach and speedo in a 2001 196 what make and model gauges did you get and from where?
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
dwp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 12:06am
I didn't replace the gauges, the previous owner did. I was told the the original gauges were garbage, and were replaced with the Faria gauges.

I have to say I like the gauges that are currently in it. Here is a link that shows what my tach./hour meter looks like:
Faria TC9137A Chesapeake Black

It is a "Faria TC9137A Chesapeake Black 6000 RPM Inboard Illuminated Boat Tachometer w/ Hour Meter Gauge".

The Faria gauges are working fine for me, although I did have to replace the "paddlewheel" as the speedometer did not work when I purchased the boat.

-dave
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 1:12am
Originally posted by dwp dwp wrote:

I didn't replace the gauges, the previous owner did. I was told the the original gauges were garbage, and were replaced with the Faria gauges.

I have to say I like the gauges that are currently in it. Here is a link that shows what my tach./hour meter looks like:
http://greatlakesskipper.com/images/products/5/21235-1-lg.jpg

It is a "Faria TC9137A Chesapeake Black 6000 RPM Inboard Illuminated Boat Tachometer w/ Hour Meter Gauge".

The Faria gauges are working fine for me, although I did have to replace the "paddlewheel" as the speedometer did not work when I purchased the boat.

-dave

Dave,
A proper link would be great!!! I'm not even going to do it for you this time!! It's late and I've tried too many times to tell you how to do it!! LEARN HOW TO DO IT!!!!!!!!

CC using inferior junk? Never!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dwp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 11:34am
Pete,
Yes it was late and I was on my third Beefeater/Tonic doing the best I could at the time. It has been corrected for your viewing pleasure.

-dave
harriss28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harriss28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 2:02pm
If all else fails, you could get an arduino, a microcontroller, an use PWM(pulse width modulation), to generate a square wave. Arduino cost is about $30. I only suggest this because I like to tinker with that type of stuff. This would be my first option and probably your last option.   
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2011 at 12:11am
If you have PerfectPass, you could simply update PP with the correct hours and the PP display will keep track for you.
dwp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2011 at 7:19pm
Yes, if we all had an extra $300 we had nothing to do with ...LMAO!
dwp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by 88 S NAUTIQUE 88 S NAUTIQUE wrote:

My hour meter runs whenever the ignition is on. If yours does as well... how about hooking up a battery charger to the battery and leave the ignition on until you reach the desired hours. Engine isn't running so what can it hurt? Just a thought, but my boat is older so may be yours is different.

Well, this is what I have found. By hooking up a 12vdc current, the hour meter will NOT add hours. But, when I add a computer fan (12vdc), in the mix, and hook positive/negative to the tachometer, BINGO!

Here is a pic. of the setup. I started with 47.2, and I now have 49.1 hours, 212.9 hours to go, see below:

I just have to leave it hooked up for the next eight days straight!

I wonder what a TV repair man would have cost me for the same thing ???
dwp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 8:58pm
Oh, right, the Blue/Yellow wire's from the fan are not used in this setup, and I have a "Faria, Chesapeake Black 6000 RPM, Inboard Illuminated Boat Tachometer w/ Hour Meter Gauge".

I can only vouch for this setup, but I would guess it would work for others also.
-dave
dwp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 9:08pm
Update: This is no longer working. I checked the tach. the very next morning and it was not powered on, the fan was not working either. Upon further investigation, the DC power supply was shot. OK. So I hook up the battery charger, in place of the DC power supply, and no work!

I guess the first take at this was just a fluke. I cannot get it to work again. Further updates to follow.
-dave
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 9:44pm
Dave,
Maybe the TV guy is the one to go see! I saw your post the other day and I was so confused that I didn't comment! What struck me was your adding extra resistance in series with the hour meter worked at first. The resistance would lower the volts to the hour meter. You'r going at this without known values!!! What does the hour meter need? Don't go hooking up something else to it until you find out!! Sorry but I don't know what it needs!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dwp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2011 at 12:10am
Ya, I have no idea why it worked at first, all I did was power up the tach. with 12vdc, then I added the fan off that same power supply, and it started adding hours. Go figure.

The reason I started down this path is a saw, after MONTHS of RESEARCH, that a gent somewhere noted that a fan from a computer generated a "square" wave signal, which is what I was told I needed by Faria Intstr., to add the hours to the tachometer. The "yellow" wire from the fan. In this case the yellow wire did nothing, when hooked up to the "signal" post on the tachometer.

Back to the drawing board. I like getting you rattled I guess (sub consciously), keep you guessing, all good fun on my part.
harriss28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harriss28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2011 at 12:21am
Did you check voltage of battery charger to verify that you are in fact getting 12 V?
beaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2017 at 11:22am
I ran into the same issue when replacing my digital gauges with analog on my Nautique.. I needed the replacement due to the Gateway box failing as a lot of them do. I had seen where I could get the hours registered for ~$150 from someone online. After reading some of the post on this and other sites I decided to purchased a wave generator and the test probes from Amazon ($30). You need to make sure you have a 5v power supply 2 amp minimum to make the wave generator work else it will say "low battery". You cant use a phone charger or the USB on your PC. I used one from an external PC speakers.
From the attached diagram Purple is the ignition (12v battery +), Black is Ground (12v-) and Grey is the Tach.
From the Wave Generator connect the Red probe to the Tach post, connect the Black probe to the Ground post.
Take a 12V battery can connect the Battery- Ground to the Ground post and the Battery + Hot to the Ignition post.

Set the wave Generator to "Square Wave" at 200Hz. You can look on Youtube to see how to make the adjustments. This is what represents you ignition firing. I had to increase the amplitude (AMP dial knob on the side) of the wave to get it to register. I had to turn mine up 50%

It will register 1 hour for each hour you have this running.
If you increase the frequency of the wave generator you will only get greater RPM's. you will need at least 400 RPM for the hours to register.
There is a dip switch on the back of my Tach. The instructions say to set it to "3". I played with different settings to see if it could register hours faster...it didn't change the results.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2017 at 6:02pm
Interesting information, thanks for posting.
Must have been 2003 thru 2009 Gateway issue as I believe those are the only years they were used?? Curious what motor you have? Based on having to set the hours I would assume the hours are not captured thru the PME or wherever they are stored on most GM's.
Does your boat have Perfect Pass and was there anything you needed to do for that??
beaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2017 at 10:54am
Last night I tried other wave forms such as a sign wave, saw tooth etc. Each of them worked.
The engine is a 2004 PCM Excalibur 330. The ECM hold the hours which can be read at the dealer. My understanding is he Gateway reads analog information from the engine, converts it to a digital signal, adds other wiz bang capabilities such as hours of run time remaining, fuel consumption per hour etc. It is likely that it also stored the engine run hours though I am not sure.
I do have a Perfect Pass. There is no consideration for the Perfect Pass in this setup.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic