NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 Mustang H/M engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 Mustang H/M engine
    Posted: August-18-2011 at 7:28pm
I have a chance to buy a 69 Mustang with a complete H/M engine (including the sweet looking manifolds) that doesn't and hasn't run for 6 years or more. The boat is a medium blue/white and needs a restoration, complete with stringers most likely. . All of the gauges are in great shape and it has the console and all fittings except the anchor light..
Down side is it is missing the passenger seat and brackets, the drivers seat has the fiberglass frame and brackets, but it is cracked, the fiberglass rear seat is missing, and it would need to be re-finished (paint or gel coat).
It has minimal dock rash but has the usual spider cracking in the usual places.
I am wondering if anyone cares to guess what a complete H/M engine is worth?. Would anyone else consider buying it for parts? I have restored several boats before so I know what a stringers and floor job takes. I am tempted just because I want to rescue it. I read the great thread on the Mustang restoration & stringers on this site.
Any words of wisdom?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 8:04pm
Sounds like its mostly complete and worth saving. It would be a shame to see a boat like that parted out. Either buy it and restore it or pass it along to another member here to do the same!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 8:26pm
Yes, grab it and keep us informed (pictures too) about it's condition. I agree with Tim that I'd hate to see it parted out.

The only thing I'd really worry about on the H/M package it the exhaust manifolds themselves. Being aluminum, they are not that robust and rot (white rust) out between the manifold and riser and then you have the "burn through" issue. The burn trough is at the individual exhaust ports where the exhaust takes a right angle turn into the main exhaust cavity. The wall between this cavity and the water jacket burns through.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 9:17pm
John if you don't grab it your crazy You say it still has it's consol so I'm thinking it's an SS and you know there is only one other on this site with the HM combo You have been looking for a long time and that is one different boat. Somehow you'll be able to find seats and for the back seat, well mine is all wood - easy to duplicate. How about some pictures?? Do you have the serial number? Don't worry about the manifolds,they can be found too. By the way thats one of the reasons I got mine,the PO was told they could be bad and it would be 600 to replace. 21 years later- I'm still running them.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 9:45pm
The owner would like $2,000 with a trailer. I worry about getting it painted or gel coated. I have done the glass & stringers work before, but I am smart enough to know not to attempt to refining the hull myself. I may look at it again tomorrow.$1,800 and I may go for it. I will try to post some photos after I look at it tomorrow, even if I pass on it. I am worried about getting the parts. It has a wood frame for the rear seat, but it needs to be replaced. I will get the S/N too. The console has a little compartment with a lid, and the gauges are in the dash. It doesn't have the CC plastic bezel around them. It must have been really sweet in that navy blue with white deck when it was new.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 10:07pm
Yeah post some pics and we can tell you for sure what's original and not. My manifolds burnt through, but only after overheating when my freeze plug popped out. Got some more off a guy, Jeff, on this site.

The coolest thing about the HM is that it is different from the norm. They also look really cool once cleaned up and painted.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 10:22pm
I'm guessing the inside looks like this John?

And David yours looks so good I think I'm convinced that I'm going pull the exhausts and paint them for one of this winters projects
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I'm guessing the inside looks like this John?

And David yours looks so good I think I'm convinced that I'm going pull the exhausts and paint them for one of this winters projects

Certainly not original if the picture is correct but, certainly restorable.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Thanks Gary. I still am trying to figure out a good way to paint the red and white "HM"'s all over the engine. I tried with a small brush and some acrylic artist paint but it was way too sloppy. Might find some paint pens and give it a whirl.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Certainly not original if the picture is correct but, certainly restorable. [/QUOTE]

I agree Pete but it is the ONLY picture out there of a '69 SS dash's and console basic layout since we don't have a brochure reference from those years.You can see the big change from the '68 SS.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 11:14pm
Vondy mask off cut with exacto knife and spray paint
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 12:13am
The dash is the same, but it has a different steering wheel that looks like what was in another Mustang I looked at. There is a faded sticker on the dash that looks to be original warning that it is a high power ski boat and it can hurt you. The interior and floor have been removed so it is pretty much gutted. The floor, console, side panels, dog house and drivers seat are in the garage near the boat, but that is about all there is as far as interior. The upholstery is still on the side panels. This boat has ethe split windshield, but it appears to be plexiglass. I thought the plexi windshield were one piece. Trying to find all the parts scares me. I wish I could find one that had been restored like Gary's or Vondy's, but I am sure that isn't going to happen.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 12:41am
BTW, it has a flat top dog house and a side mounted throttle. Is that correct? The original ski nylon and floor trim ring is there too.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 12:56am
The throttle and gear shift is supposed to be in the console John,you can see them in the picture above or here on this Barracuda SS console. It may have been converted to a single lever on the side like mine. Check to see if he has these parts if it has been changed or take a bunch of pictures when you go and I'll look them over.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:02am
The console has no gauges in it like the blue one in the photo. I didn't notice if it had the square hole in the console for them. I forgot to mention, someone stole the Chrome CC badges off of it.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:06am
The doghouse if it has a flat top is most likely wood,which is ok.Here's mine also showing the correct wheel.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:08am
That's the wheel, but this one is rusty. The dog house is fiberglass
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:11am
That's the wheel, but this one is rusty. The dog house is fiberglass. It has a really small nav light that looks original too. The horn looks like the one on yours as well.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:16am
Yours is beautiful.
Is that a Lustron home? That is also beautiful. If so, does it have the original dish washer?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:32am
I thought the wheel was stainless John,I'll have to check.The horns on mine have been replaced,these new ones have stainless trumpets,the original ones were chrome.Are you saying the chrome side scripts at toward the stern saying Correct Craft are gone? If you can find them they are not cheap,but one of our members was talking about having them reproduced.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:42am
Yes, the script Correct Craft on the sides. The wheel looks like yours, the ring (part you grip) appears to be good quality plastic and is dark brown. This boat sat outside covered so it was probably pretty humid in there at times.
I am pretty sure I see a Lustron home complete with garage in your photo, pretty cool!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:43am
Thats my Mom and Dads house,I live next door in my Grandma's house.It was supposed to be the second from last one done and one of the very few 2 car garages.The dishwasher/washing machine is long gone,my Mom said it was not a good dishwasher or a good washing machine either.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 1:51am
Very nice! I used to live in a 1929 Sears catalog house called the Osborne. I miss it sometimes. We have some Lustrons near me. My friend used to own one. I really liked it. It had the porch, but not the garage.
There is no upholstery on the fiberglass dog house, and it looks like there never was.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 2:23am
My Dad built the garage himself,the company had designed it but didn't get it into production by the time they went under.They sent him all the panels and plans.You recieved enough panels to build a solid cube,you got to decide where the doors and windows went.The good thing about that was you ended up with extra panels.He than took those extra panels and closed in the porch making the living room bigger. Looks just as if it was originally done that way.They lived in my great grandmothers house a short walk away and every day my Mom would come and take pictures of the progress.I went to a historic house lecture at the community college and was talking afterwords with the presenter who told me he knew of a woman who took movies of her's being built. He saw my moms book and could not believe it.

Your right,there was no upholstery on a 'glass box
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 2:34am
thread jack....very cool story on the family houses gary!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 2:48am
Thanks John. You know you look back on your life and you wonder how you had the time to get things done. Kids,school,work driving an hour each way and you got stuff done. Now I spend an hour just looking for something and then get side tracked
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 3:43am
You're right, Gary. That is exactly why I am afraid to take on this Mustang project. Did you refinish your hull. It looks so nice in the photos now and a little sad when you got it.
I would love to see it sometime. Let me know if there is an opportunity.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 11:54am
Still a work in process John.Sanded and buffed and I have filled some bad chips.You don't want to look real close but concidering of what I started with--
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 12:25pm
FYI, if the boat has a gelcoat box with a flat top like this, then the boat is most likely a '70, not a '69.

Rumor has it that *someone* is looking into getting Correct Craft emblems made up, as well as producing a few of the '69-70 fiberglass bucket seats.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 12:46pm
Did the H/M motor fit under the curved top fiberglass dog house? I have looked At two H/M Mustangs that were 69s according to the paper work and they both had flat top fiberglass dog houses.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
  Share Topic