Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet Drive question - Eric ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dstixs5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstixs5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velvet Drive question - Eric ?
    Posted: August-21-2011 at 2:13pm
Hello. I was refered to you from another site. For Eric or anyone that has advice.   I have a unique situation. "Velvet drive 71c 10-17-004". I bought a the boat in the begin of season(99 Tige 22i) knowing it had a "slipping" issue. Turns out its much worse once i got it to the lake. I was overly excited about having a boat finally. I've been on the lake all my life with jetski's, etc just never a boat owner. Big mistake not water testing, yeah i know. I suck. I knew nothing about an inboard boat other than i've been towed by them but nothing mechanically.

I pulled the transmission myself and sent off for rebuilt to a shop in FL for rebuild. Top google search result should tell you where i sent. Once returned, it died within 10 minutes of using. Worked great for a few minutes. Pulled and sent back. They said broken snap ring and fixed under warranty. Got it back installed and within 10 minutes dead again. Obviously I was fixing a symtom and not root cause. I finally got fed up and took to an inboard shop. They found that the strut was bent 3 inches to the left. They have installed new strut, prop shaft and reman the prop. They have offered to send the tramsmission to be fixed once again.

Now my question: Does this sound like my underwater gear was killing the transmission(3 inches bent) because of the misalignment? Im concerned about sending to that shop a third time. What if they arent doing something correctly? I'll never know at this point. I've obviously already spent a ton on this thing but i want it done right. I would be willing to pay to know it was done right. I've dropped a ton of dough already into this lemon so paying someone again will hurt but i want to get on the water some time soon.

Any advice would be much appreiciated.
thanks.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 3:05pm
Sounds like you sure have been through hell and back!! However, as you have admitted, you should have done some more checking on the condition of the boat. Even though the velvet's are really tough, alignment is key with keeping any DD or VD running properly. You should have noticed something was going on when you installed the trans twice. With a strut bent that far, the coupling faces would have been visually out of parallel. They need to be within .003". Now, from you description, we do not know if this was the root cause of the trans failure. I have a suspicion that it may have been initially and that shop you sent it to did not pick up the problem when they opened up the trans and didn't notify you that the damage was caused by a misaligned prop shaft. Ether that or they did tell you and you didn't understand the importance of alignment. I'm sure Eric will want to know more about the so called repair they did to the Velvet. Any details? What are they telling you?????

What was the other site that told you about CCfan? I'm curious!!
BTW, welcome to CCfan.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 4:30pm
Eric will be along, and yes, he can fix it. He'll go through the whole thing and can probably tell you its entire history from what he sees. Hang loose.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 5:56pm
Greg,
"not given" is probably out there running his Tige on the water today. We'll see if he can blow the trans a third time!! I wonder how close that marina was able to to get the engine/shaft alignment???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dstixs5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstixs5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 9:37pm
To be honest, I was going by on the word of another DD owner whom said pulling the transmission was easy. That is the only reason i attempted myself. I removed the first time, i put the rear of the engine on blocks. When i removed the rear motor mounts the engine did not move at all. Pulled it and shipped off for rebuild. The guy told me the fwd clutch plates were welded together. He repaired and returned to me. I reinstalled myself. I knew nothing about alignment - no one ever said anything to me about it. I had to use the bolts on the coupler to draw the shaft the transmission. it was not perfectly aligned in the resting position. I mistakenly assumed all would be well since the engine didnt move. 10 minutes on the water, and then dead. Called the rebuild shop immeditately. They said to pull and send back. They didnt ask any questions. Repaired and told me it was a broken snap ring. At this point, i was thinking to myself they just didnt do something right the first time. Reinstalled and 10 minutes in the water, dead again. That is when I took to an local inboard dealership. The local guys seem to be very knowledgable and offered to put a new transmission but Im looking for some other alternatives - the reason why im here.    

Too much ignorance of these boat and trust of people has screwed me big time as you can see.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 11:10pm
The alternate is to send it to Eric and then do a proper alignment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 10:28am
short on time this AM. call me 330-273-8291
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 10:29am
MA does take a little more time than 10 minutes
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 10:30am
bad bushing that was missed from ma
dstixs5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstixs5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 1:34pm
thanks for your time this morning on the phone Eric.

thanks everyone else for your replies as well. I plan to send to Eric asap.
dstixs5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstixs5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2011 at 12:17am
Eric, the tranmission is on it's way to you. They didn't give me tracking but it should be from Carolina Inboard out of SC. Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2011 at 10:23am
ok, i will report the findings
dstixs5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstixs5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 6:26pm
Did this thing ever show up to you Eric?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 10:01am
Yes and its done, I would really say a left out snap ring, I tend to forget conversations and i tore this one apart myself with out knowing the history, and my first though with silicone on the front cover gasket was someone was in here, I could tell because it took out the front cover, pump, forward cylinder, when you leave this particular snap ring out you loose the endplay and everything rubs. out of about 1500 of these tranny's I have never seen one of these snap rings break, its impossible, they will stretch but not break and for it to break there would have to be force on it which there is not.
Again there was much more damage due to mis-assembly.
I did have to re-bush the planetary which tells me there was also a severe alignment problem,
im not building you up for the big payday, im giving you the front cover, and forward cylinder and the price is still the same.
may I ask? who was the shop that forgot to put the snap ring in?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 10:03am
you really have to check your alignment on this one, and i would hope you have a new damper on the engine
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 10:06am
clean or replace your cooler because there is alot of metal floating around due to the front cover and pump failing at least 2 tablespoons worth
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 10:09am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Again there was much more damage due to mis-assembly. who was the shop that forgot to put the snap ring in?

Eric,
Add another "professional" marine trans rebuilder to your/our list!!!

"not given",
After your first post, I did google marine trans shops in Florida and several did come up so, I too am curious as to who the shop was. People do need to know so they do not make the same mistake and get screwed!!

Also, could you tell us what boat the trans is from? I take it since you posted in the "off topic" section it's not a CC! Still, many do come here with other brand boat issues so, fill us in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dstixs5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstixs5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 12:12pm
Eric, I will call you to work out payment, I thought you were just to look at it first??? Oh well, I hope this finally resolves it. The place that has the boat now is getting the alignment taken care of since i needed a new strut and shaft. I'll let them know about the cooler and damper.

Simplicity Marine out of Palmetto FL did the original trans rebuild. By the way - They can't find record of me as a customer even though they have had it 2 times already. I still have the receipt and credit card slip, that is going to be hard for him to argue when I try for my money back.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2011 at 9:18am
Still don't want to tell us what boat you have??? We really don't care and as mentioned, we get plenty of "off brand" boat owners coming to the site for help.

I'm glad you sent it to Eric and he was able to help out.

Don't forget the alignment. Even though you have someone doing it, I would not trust it and would at least check it. We've seen plenty of so called marinas do some pretty bad work!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2011 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by dstixs5 dstixs5 wrote:

I bought a the boat in the begin of season (99 Tige 22i) knowing it had a "slipping" issue.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2011 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

I bought a the boat in the begin of season (99 Tige 22i) knowing it had a "slipping" issue.

pete, need to improve your reading!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2011 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

pete, need to improve your reading!

Once again my ADD kicked in!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2011 at 2:13pm
Pete's not your fault, the issue is that boats do no longer have cool names such as "Ski Nautique" "Mustang", "Separator", "Wildcat","Atom Skier" or such, they are now named 22i, X-10000 or things like that, so it's easy to get lost and not know what they are talking about!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic