NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

-

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: -
    Posted: August-25-2011 at 1:01am
-
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 1:27am
I know it's a great feeling to just jump in the boat, start, untie, & take off.

I myself feel nervous leaving it in the water overnight (storms, etc), so I spend the 10 minutes to pull it out when we stay at a lake.

If the ramp isn't handy, well that changes things.

At least check your packing drip rate to make sure it isn't excessive.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 12:24pm
Sounds to me like the shaft and/or rudder packing need adjustment. You may also have the auto bilge off? Lift the float switch by hand and see if it kicks, and if so, how high did it need to be lifted.

Long term in the water is hard on the gel. Over the w/e it won't be a problem for a well maintained and waxed boat.

And tie a good knot.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
echobravoecho View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echobravoecho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 7:40pm
I did the same thing a few weeks ago. Sat and watched it for a few hours. The auto bilge never kicked on. I checked again, not enough water after two hours to activate auto bilge. The boat was at the same elevation in the morning, I hit the manual bilge and got a few cups of water over the side.
Battery didn't drain, water didn't swamp, kid's didn't cry. My auto bilge switch top is about 2 inches above the bottom. Night water must be thicker than day water....doesn't leak as much.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 8:05pm
I feel everyone pretty much knows I'm an "early riser". I do the same 7 days a week no matter what I'm doing. I love it when I'm at one of the antique/classic boat shows, get up early (4am) and take a walk before breakfast through the area/harbor where some of our members wood boats have been moored overnight. There are always several boats with auto pumps and you can listen for them. The ones that turn on every 5 minutes are the real bad ones!!! I will actually note them down just in case I need to judge them That day. A bad bottom does get points deducted!!!

BTW, the amp draw on a bilge pump is actually pretty low and keep in mind the "on" time is pretty brief. Even the ones that run every 5 minuets never seem to run the battery down to a point where the owner has a problem starting the boat the next day. Think amp hours and do the calculations!!!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 2:42am
-
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 2:50am
I'm kind of surprised by this thread. I just think of it as normal to keep the boat in the water. My '63 spends most of every summer in the water at a dock. It doesn't leak a drop, but the hull certainly stains quite a bit.

On some past trips I've left it overnight in Lake Champlain at docks and moored, worried a bit on the mooring on the big lake, but never have had a problem. I wouldn't worry a bit about leaving it as long as you have a bilge pump in working order and a decent battery.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 2:56am
-
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 3:20am
First, YES, leave the bilge pump on auto, that's what keeps boats from sinking when something goes wrong.

The other thing is that if you're taking water through your shaft packing, which is the most likely place, you'll take on water much faster when running. With the shaft stopped the flow is usually much slower. Still, you really need to figure out where the water is coming from.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 9:59am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Sounds to me like the shaft and/or rudder packing need adjustment. You may also have the auto bilge off? Lift the float switch by hand and see if it kicks, and if so, how high did it need to be lifted.

I guess my forum cred doesn't hold much water...

On second thought, just drill a hole in the freeboard right above the waterline so if the bilge pump fails it will still gravity drain.    
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 10:10am

On second thought, just drill a hole in the freeboard right above the waterline so if the bilge pump fails it will still gravity drain.    

Guess not!!

Since he did ask about adding another pump, maybe one of these would work plus it wouldn\t run the battery down!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 2:46pm
That's a stroke of genius Pete. The output on that pump could be directed to become a trolling motor for fishing...or added excitement in a tubing event.   
1988 BFN-sold

echobravoecho View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echobravoecho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 5:58pm
Agreed. Leave the auto-bilge on and fa-gedda-bout-it.
Clew In View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clew In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 1:38am
Hey,

Mine is wired to manual switch on if needed and hard wired for the auto switch. I just do not want somebody switching the pump off by accident.

Clew In
Clew In
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 2:00am

uuuuhhhhh....wrong-o

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 2:14pm
Thanks John; and sorry we missed you and your better half recently. Give us a ring when you're cruising through, and we'll see you at the river.   
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic