Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battery will not stay charge

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
chisum5013 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chisum5013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery will not stay charge
    Posted: August-25-2011 at 1:04am
I am a new owner of a 1980 Ski Nautique. Bought the boat this Saturday and took it directly to the lake, it ran like a dream. The next day we were back at it on the lake for about 4 hours, then we started to leave and the boat would not crank. Borrowed a battery and got it to crank, took the cable off the battery and it went dead. This led me to believe that the alternator was bad. Took the alternator to the local parts store and it tested good, took it to another to verify that it was good and it tested good again. Put the alternator back on and check the voltage at the battery while the boat was running, I got a reading of 12.4. I was told I should have got a reading between 13 and 14 if the alternator was charging. If anyone has any suggestion I would greatly appreciate it.
Chris C
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 1:27am
Chris, First of all welcome to the best web site you will ever find. The people here can get you through any problem so long as you listen and follow thier advise. Start by re-posting this in the maintanece section, you will get more responses. The "new" section is actually whats new on the CCFan site. Sounds like a broken or corroded connection, which is always fun to track down but we have some experts here who can help you track it down. A volt/ohm meter will help with the process of locating the problem. The good news is you have eliminated the most expensive part as being the problem.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

chisum5013 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chisum5013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 1:34am
Thanks, for the suggestions. I am not sure I have eilminated the alternator because I took a volt meter an could not get 13/14 volts on the output of the alternator.

Thanks
Chris C
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 1:38am
If it bench tested Ok it should be good. I had the same problem when i bought my boat and it was fixed just by cleaning all the contacts between the battery and the alternator. including the negative on the motor. Like I said there are better (more knowlegable) people to help you out. Just repost up in maintanece.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic