Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

General cost for a yacht

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
kzhen8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kzhen8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: General cost for a yacht
    Posted: September-01-2011 at 2:15pm
Hi everyone,
I'm fairly new here and would love to know if someone can let me know what the general cost of a maintaining a yacht would be. Trying to see it is within my budget yet and how much more I need to save up. I know it depends on your location as well as many other factors that take into place, but a range may helpful too.
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2011 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by kzhen8 kzhen8 wrote:

Hi everyone,
I'm fairly new here and would love to know if someone can let me know what the general cost of a maintaining a yacht would be. Trying to see it is within my budget yet and how much more I need to save up. I know it depends on your location as well as many other factors that take into place, but a range may helpful too.

New spammer tactic... ask seemingly related questions to build up rep and then post links?

OK lets hear kzhen.... what kind of yacht are you looking for? If you don't know if it is within your budget than it isn't.

I assume pay for a spammer posting links to a lame shopping aggregator doesn't get paid enough to buy a "yacht".
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2011 at 2:35pm
BTW, here's a pic of me on my yacht:

And a funny thing that happened to me recently on my yacht.
kzhen8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kzhen8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2011 at 2:43pm
Hi Jeff,
I don't understand what you mean and just want to find out more information. Looking for a motor yacht where I can cruise long distances to. I already have the money for the yacht, but I'm inquiring about maintenance cost and not the cost of the yacht. Would you say it's a big risk to buy a second hand? The premium for a new one is very high, but I prefer it more since it's brand new, but if the cost is a big difference, I might consider it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2011 at 2:55pm
LOL Ok... so... what length are you looking at? And where would it be based?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2011 at 2:58pm
If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
Remember, if it floats, flies or f**ks, rent it!!

"Hey, you scratched my anchor!!"
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2011 at 5:58pm

Hi everyone,

Pretty short on details there kzhen8!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2011 at 8:17pm
Hollywood has/had a CC yacht. Maybe he can help? I know he's spending less on teak oil now...
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2011 at 9:43pm
I just happen to have a picture of him on the day he got it-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2011 at 12:45am

Hi everyone,
Trying to see it is within my budget yet and how much more I need to save up.

Boat stands for 'break out another thousand'.     X10 for a yacht.

I'd recommend renting or chartering one & see how much you like it before getting in deep.

Good luck either way.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
aDrifter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aDrifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2011 at 4:49am
I work at a boat yard and i have heard that you should plan on 10% of the boat value in upkeep per year. $100,000 yacht means 10k/year for fuel, slip, upkeep etc.

I have also heard, "be smarter and charter"

at least do alot of research before you jump in. if you get stuck with a boat that you cant sell or dont want there are alot of strings attached (moorage, insurance, zinc changes, bottom paint, etc) unless it is on a trailer in your yard.
kzhen8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kzhen8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 4:29pm
Thank you all for all of your help and great advice! I will keep that in mind and to continue researching. It is big investment and I need to know the details before I know what I am getting myself into. I am based in New York, not so sure about the length but would like one that can fit about 10 people. Renting is not so bad of an idea to start off as doing too. May I ask how chartering works?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 4:31pm
hey you still offer those coach handbags and items? I might be interested...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 4:34pm
on the boat I think you and stuff 10 or more on a 230 SAN, and with the PCM 550 engine it would be a sweet ride...only downside is you need to cash up around 120K! maintenace cost who cares!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 11:22pm

May I ask how chartering works?

How do you have enough money to "buy" a yacht and have never chartered anything?

SPAMMER!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 1:17pm
When I first got into Yachting, my mom got me the small one, so I could practice in the tub.
The general cost was probably quite affordable.

kzhen8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kzhen8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 3:06pm
Thanks for all of the tips. I do have the money for the yacht in cash and still saving up until next year. I am inquiring all of the information now and extremely new at this. Forgive me that I don't know what chartering is. Still don't understand how I am spamming, I am asking here.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 3:31pm
Chartering is like renting a limo. They do all the work you just enjoy the ride.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 5:27pm
There are several publications on Yachting. There are also a few forum sites about Yachting.
Generally when a Yacht owner uses the words "still saving up" usually results in "Dry Docked" and "Storage Bill".
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Chartering is like renting a limo. They do all the work you just enjoy the ride.

As another analogy, it's like getting a Hooker, they do all the work you just enjoy the ride.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

As another analogy, it's like getting a Hooker, they do all the work you just enjoy the ride.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 12:51am
KZ - Us Skiboat guys are quite honored that you keep visiting us to ask a question that is out of scope for our experience. I typed in your question into google & here is the answer. Is there something else we can help with?

As J.P. Morgan once told Henry Pierce: "You have no right, or business owning a yacht if you ask that question."
It was a hard and curt answer, I agree... but it is also a very accurate answer.

The term "yacht" typically refers to a very rich man's (or woman's) recreational boat, (or vessel) of which is a minimum of 50 feet in length, and is extremely, luxuriously appointed...

So... if this is actually the type vessel is what you are curious about... here's a good "ballpark" answer.

Today, the going rate for a typical "yacht" is about $40,000 a lineal foot. So the initial purchase price of a typical 50' "yacht" would set the new owner back about $2,000,000.

But, that's not near all it cost... The purchase price of a "small yacht" is only about half the cost of maintaining it over the first seven years or so... after that, the cost of maintaining it will go up rather dramatically.

In addition to the above, there is transportation to and from, plus dock fees, fuel, crew, food, beverage, and entertainment expenses... So, honestly... to the man, woman, corporation, that purchases a true "yacht"... the initial price is really peanuts; and I do mean it is an incidental - almost nothing price to pay - for the onset of expenses to own, operate, maintain, and entertain...

Now, if you are asking about the price of a small to medium size "boat"... that's a whole different story...
But, "small to medium" means different things to different people, and "boat" well, that can be anything that floats...
So, to get a good answer for that... you will need to add a lot more specifics, ie: power, sail, row, paddle, electric, etc. - Where are you going to use it? Fresh water? Salt water? or Bath water? Get my drift? (pun intended).

Want to see and learn about Ron Allen's "yacht" the Octopus?
Ron is the co-founder (with Bill Gates) of Microsoft... Click on the link below and learn about his "yacht"...
It has two helicopters, a submarine, etc. and costs a mear $750,000 to "top off her fuel tanks"... $20 million a year to just keep her clean & pay her crew.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 12:32pm
Tell us about your moniker. What does Kzhen8 mean? Is it a new type of shoe that so many of us boater- I mean, yachters would be interested in purchasing?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 2:09pm
heres`s an entry yatch, save some cash to stuff it with champagne for some nice inboard parties...

san juan

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 2:11pm
chris, nice review!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 2:38pm
LOL. This is crazy. I wonder why he keeps stringing us along.

If you "have to save up" for a yacht, it's not really a yacht. I have a well-off (relatively) relative that owns a 45' cruiser. Two huge twin diesel CAT's, the latest in GPS, radar and navigation up in the fly-bridge, leather interior and room to sleep 6 comfortably. I'll never forget when we stopped once to get some fuel. We were getting only 50 gallons or so that day and I casually asked how big the tank was. "450 gallons" was the reply. Wow! The idea of just filling up brought me to my knees. Diesel for non-road use is about $3.50 a gallon right now so.... if the tank were almost empty and you topped it off that would run you a little over $1,500 just to fill up. And you can burn through that in a few of days if you are cruising at running speeds. We talked about that and my relative mused: "Getting fuel is a small part of running a boat like this." In other words, a $1,500 fill up pales in comparison to upkeep, mooring and the like.

Why are we talking about this on a ski boat site? What's the biggest thing Correct Craft has ever made? :)
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

What's the biggest thing Correct Craft has ever made? :)

The '55 brochure calls out a 44' Miamian and a 50' Southwind.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 2:49pm
ask hollywood about the miamian!!!!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Well, I stand corrected. :) I still think this is a bizarre thread.

Kevin
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 3:45pm

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Well, I stand corrected. :) I still think this is a bizarre thread.

Kevin

+1

still trying to unveil this probable spammer called Karina....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic