NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Raw water hoses/garden hose connection

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raw water hoses/garden hose connection
    Posted: September-08-2011 at 5:48pm
I was working on putting a garden hose connection on my raw water intake last night and discovered that my cooling hoses are in really bad shape (on the inside).   I also seem to have an assortment of types of hose.   I'd like to replace the hoses, and add the garden hose connection, but would like to know what type of hose to use, and why?    I am guessing that the wire reinforced hose is the stuff to get so that the suction from the rwp does not colapse the hose?

For my original garden hose Idea, I put a brass tee in the thru-hull to strainer line, but this seems really cumbersome with having to remove the doghouse and floor section to access.    How have you guys done the cold water connection?

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 6:13pm
Put it right in the green hose going over the tranny where it’s easy to get to.
It’s funny my '85 has the same strainer, mounted in the same place but opposite side.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 6:20pm
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 6:48pm
that is a nice engine! ja...Trbenj´s
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 6:58pm
Pardon the foolish question - is there a check valve somewhere, if not why doesn't the hose water just flow out the raw water pickup?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Pardon the foolish question - is there a check valve somewhere, if not why doesn't the hose water just flow out the raw water pickup?

It does exactly that... unless the engine is running- in which case, the RWP overcomes gravity, just like it does when the boat is in the lake.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 7:02pm
I was wondering the same, but I guess once the engine is running the pump will suck all water....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 7:07pm
You can get the hose itself from Skidim, Nautiqueparts and others.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 7:15pm
Oh, and if you want reinforced water line hose with a blue stripe to match your boat, check out Jamestown Distributors. Most other places sell hose with a green stripe.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

that is a nice engine! ja...Trbenj´s

... so it appears that my engine is a greasy pig    Thanks for the input guys!   ON the hose, does anyone know what size the hose is that fits over the nipple on the trans cooler?   also, West Marine sells the reinforced by the foot instead of a 50 ft roll. How often do I need to replace this stuff?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 7:59pm
With the exception of the circ pump to stat housing hose, a PCM 351w uses 1" hose throughout. Jamestown sells sticks of 12.5' in addition to 50'... call and they may sell it by the foot as well.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

It does exactly that... unless the engine is running- in which case, the RWP overcomes gravity, just like it does when the boat is in the lake.

Aha, thanks! I wouldn't have expected that to work, too easy for the water to drop and pump to suck air, learn something new every day. On my '63 I disconnect a hose and clamp the water hose in the end, have to be careful to turn the water on and start up at the same time.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 8:40pm

Aha, thanks! I wouldn't have expected that to work, too easy for the water to drop and pump to suck air, learn something new every day. On my '63 I disconnect a hose and clamp the water hose in the end, have to be careful to turn the water on and start up at the same time.

Not much water is needed in the driveway!!! BTW, if you do use a check valve, be REAL careful on it's CV rating. It's real easy to screw things up on the suction side of the RWP.

CV:
"Cv Factor— Coefficient of volume. Amount of liquid in gallons per minute (at 60° F, specific gravity of 1) that passes through a fully-open valve with a 1 psi pressure differential. Higher Cv factor means a higher flow rate."

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 9:08pm
No, I won't be adding a check valve, just wondered. I just turn the water on enough to get some flow from both pipes.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 9:25pm
dont forget that even with a reenforced wire hose the outside faucet might only deliver 5 or 6 gal per minute at best you might still starve the motor
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

dont forget that even with a reenforced wire hose the outside faucet might only deliver 5 or 6 gal per minute at best you might still starve the motor

Peter,
How many GPM do you feel is needed? Remember BTU's per degree per gal. of water??? It can really suck up the heat!!
We're not talking about reving the engine up to red line in the driveway where the typical flexible impeller RWP will pump around 20 GPM!!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 9:46pm
I have no idea whats needed but my house delivers decent street water pressure and volume and when my boat is running on it at 2200 or so ive seen my black rubber hoses flatten out . im sure that your right that it is fine at idle and just above and there is no need to run them at 4k in the driveway . i was just asking him to be aware of the issues that someone could run into. if i remember correctly this has been addressed in a previous thread where i was made more aware of the issue
Liledgy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liledgy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 1:06am
I would pull your hose from the hull and stick it in a 5 gallon bucket, fill the bucket with water and turn the boat on. You will be very surprised at the amount of water that goes thru your engine. Keep the hose running to refill the bucket. Very few well pumps could keep up with the engine above idle. Municipal water supply's differ in pressure and your length on the hose. If you cut in a nipple for your hose you'll never know if your water supply is keeping up. That's why a 5 gallon bucket with your hose bib refilling or works best, you can see the engine sucking down the water level in the bucket. That let's you know when to let off the throttle or to shut the motor down.
Fibersport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fibersport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 1:33am
You might also want to try

surplusunlimited.com - sells by the foot at about 1/2 of West Marine
discountmarinesupplies.com - sells by the box
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 1:48am
What is the concern on running less water flow? As long as there is some water flow, and flow out of the exhaust pipe or pipes, it should be enough to keep things cool for warmup before oil change, winterizing, or other. Am I wrong, is there something that might be harmed if the engine flows 4 gal./minute instead of the 7-8 it might flow when in the lake?
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 4:03am
Thanks fibersport.   I will check Skidim and surplus unlimited.   I think I have it rigged ok to do my winterizing now, but will want to put in new hose once the stringers are done and the engine is cleaned up.   I'd like to run on the hose long enough to troubleshoot the lack of Idle issue that I am having currently also.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 4:05am
anybody know how many BTUH the engine produces at idle?   that might give us the answer to 63's question...
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

anybody know how many BTUH the engine produces at idle?   that might give us the answer to 63's question...

Gasoline has 114,000 btu/gallon. I don't know the fuel burn at idle, maybe 2 gal/hr.? If you know the fuel burn, you know how many btu produced if you assume all the fuel is combusted.

But - I'm not sure it matters in this case. It's pretty hard to overheat a raw water cooled engine even if water flow is reduced, as long as all passages are getting some flow. That's why I ask if there is any mechanical issue with the low water flow, I've always assumed it was fine if there was decent flow from both manifolds.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 10:20am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Another meathod is to pull the 90* fitting in Tim's pic and put the garden hose in its place. For the hose sizing on my boat, I clamp a short piece of 1" on the garden hose, and that fits right into the 1.25" going to the tranny cooler. I haven't tried this meathod with the fitting Tim set up yet.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 11:32am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

I have no idea whats needed but my house delivers decent street water pressure and volume and when my boat is running on it at 2200 or so ive seen my black rubber hoses flatten out .

Thats one reason why a simple tee in the line works so well. Any volume of water that the RWP calls for beyond what the hose can supply will be made up by the air from the intake grate/scoop. Thats a better situation than collapsing a hose, which could cut the water supply off completely.

What is the concern on running less water flow? As long as there is some water flow, and flow out of the exhaust pipe or pipes, it should be enough to keep things cool for warmup before oil change, winterizing, or other. Am I wrong, is there something that might be harmed if the engine flows 4 gal./minute instead of the 7-8 it might flow when in the lake?

Youre exactly right- there is no concern with pulling less water through the engine when on the hose. So long as you draw enough in to 1)keep the engine cool and 2)lubricate the impeller, youre golden.

The bucket method works great if youre trying to test your RWP, but for simple running on the hose, it sure seems like a clunky way to do things.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 11:52am
thanks tim that makes perfect sense
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 10:25am
I still have never been able to use the T that came installed on my SAN. My only guess is that the RWP cannot overcome gravity in the 6 inches or straight vertical prior to the strainer. I even blocked the intake grate once to no avail. I just take the hose off after the strainer as Greg described and run off the hose. My impeller test comes free with the bucket of RV A/F after running for a while on the hose.

I am extremely lame in that I have already winterized the SAN. I got eleven whopping hours on my boat this year. Most of the lakes around us are just coming off "no wake" this week from the high water this year. The Pony has been on a trailer since June....
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 11:21am
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

I am extremely lame in that I have already winterized the SAN....

Mike,
Sometimes we have to do things early up in the northern parts of the country so don't feel "lame"!!! I don't think I'll be going back north untill Christmas - New Years so I winterized all my boats over the Labor Day weekend!!! I even did the Atom even though it's now inside the shop which I keep the temp over freezing.

BTW, I'm still using my fake fake-a-lake I made out of the toilet plunger. Still working great and I haven't collapsed a garden hose yet!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 11:24pm
Ok...I'm digging this one up...

Someone said that the hose for a PCM 351 is 1" (except for one hose). This may be a silly question, but is that inner diameter or outer? West Marine lists both sizes...
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 12:24am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic