NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Raw water hoses/garden hose connection

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raw water hoses/garden hose connection
    Posted: May-10-2016 at 12:00am
It would work either way, but i have it between hull intake & strainer.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 11:24pm
Since my boat is different from the pic on the first page, it is a bit tough to tell if the hose-T is between the filter and the hull, or between the filter and the engine.
Y2K SAN
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 10:43am
I finally found it at Menards. (1x1x1/2) installed and it works well. After a month of ownership I finally completed all but one of my check out and replace/repair list items and finally will get the 89' out on the lake this Friday. (Then can get a picture that I use for an avatar)

The one item I did not get to was the replacement of the fuel/water seperater. I have the screw on filter, but upon reading the box it came in, I saw the equivalent of the words "pressurized fuel system - trained mechanics only should change this"

Did I make it too hard on myself and chickened out or is this as simple as screw old off and screw new on like an oil filter?

1989 2001 SN / Prior 1978 Cobalt 18
73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2015 at 7:20pm
Our local Ace had the 1" but mine has 1-1/4 hose.
After a few stops I ended up at the Ace in the next town over. They had 4 or 5 of the 1" with 1/2" tee and I got the last 1-1/4" with a 3/4" inlet:

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2015 at 3:42am
Someone should make this up as a kit and sell it. I'm sure people would pay a little premium to save the time of hunting for the parts.

Also, keep in mind Home Depot and Lowes have a whole bunch of stuff online that they don't necessarily stock in stores, plumbing and otherwise.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 9:08pm
Graham, I was just running mine on the hose a couple of days ago when I was figuring out my kill switch problem. I opened up the hose all the way, and at idle I'd guess 60% into the engine, 40% dropped out the bottom through the pickup. I brought it up to about 1200 rpm to bring the engine up to temp, and probably 80% was going into the engine. The point is that the RWP gets more than enough water to operate without damage, and the engine gets more than enough water to get properly cooled. I never would have thought of it myself, am very glad I read about it here, it's a slick system.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 9:04pm
Works fine Graham it pulls what it needs. I would think it would be best to keep it in low rpm mode. My saltwater boat though I can close the thru hull and flush in case I leave it in to go out later.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 8:40pm
I've been thinking about installing something similar but always wondered how much water is sucked up into the engine and how much runs out the pickup in the hull..
'82 Ski Tique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 7:41pm
Don't worry about the 1/2" . Remember, you are dealing with pressure from the hose and not the suction from the RWP.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 7:00pm
I could not find the T anywhere by me,at the usual places. Finally found them at an Ace by my inlaws. In the end I used what I could find,all the hardware stores local to me are owned by the same family so if one doesn't have something the others won't either. Tried to find one in south Florida too after I broke the one I had,nothing there either.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 6:15pm
Did mine and it works wonderfully

Found the tee at Menards in the sprinkler system aisle.

Good luck!
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 4:26pm
That is the pic I was trying to emulate (gary's) but could not find the 1" but rather the 3/4" My town true value is limited and struck out at lowes. I will check HDepot.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 4:13pm
I went 1/2" as well. Home Depot has a whole section with various sizes of poly fittings, they will have the T, also a hardware store with a good sized plumbing dept. Make sure to get stainless hose clamps.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 4:02pm
Looks like Gary went with 1/2" too

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 4:00pm
Yeah but the valve in the ght shut off is much smaller than the 1/2" npt boss on a 1x1x1/2 tee. Either works, but I tend to use the 1/2" as it's incrementally less bulky.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 3:54pm
No. 1" for the intake hose.

Why are you trying to go down to 1/2" on intersection? Garden hose is typically 3/4".
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 3:53pm
I am having difficulty finding the 1x1x1/2 " combination poly Tee.

Do most of you use the 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2?

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2011 at 1:24am
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

Thanks for the inner diameter answer.

Well...here she is...my own "flush kit":

YouTube HD

Flush kit is at the end BTW...

Link didn't work for me, try this:
Flush Kit Video
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2011 at 10:35pm
Thanks for the inner diameter answer.

Well...here she is...my own "flush kit":

YouTube HD

Flush kit is at the end BTW...
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 9:35am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I don't think I'll be going back north untill Christmas - New Years so I winterized all my boats over the Labor Day weekend!!! I even did the Atom even though it's now inside the shop which I keep the temp over freezing.

Remember the 70's tv series Vegas, how Dan Tanna would drive his 57 Tbird into his living room to park it. Somehow I picture Pete doing the same thing every time he parks his 54 Atom!!!
-Adam

1973 Skier
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 9:23am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

BTW, I'm still using my fake fake-a-lake I made out of the toilet plunger. Still working great and I haven't collapsed a garden hose yet!!!

Pete, when are you going to put up a diagram on how to make one of these poor man's fake a lakes?
-Adam

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 9:05am
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

Ok...I'm digging this one up...

Someone said that the hose for a PCM 351 is 1" (except for one hose). This may be a silly question, but is that inner diameter or outer? West Marine lists both sizes...

Hose is always sized by the I.D.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 12:24am
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 11:24pm
Ok...I'm digging this one up...

Someone said that the hose for a PCM 351 is 1" (except for one hose). This may be a silly question, but is that inner diameter or outer? West Marine lists both sizes...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 11:21am
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

I am extremely lame in that I have already winterized the SAN....

Mike,
Sometimes we have to do things early up in the northern parts of the country so don't feel "lame"!!! I don't think I'll be going back north untill Christmas - New Years so I winterized all my boats over the Labor Day weekend!!! I even did the Atom even though it's now inside the shop which I keep the temp over freezing.

BTW, I'm still using my fake fake-a-lake I made out of the toilet plunger. Still working great and I haven't collapsed a garden hose yet!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 10:25am
I still have never been able to use the T that came installed on my SAN. My only guess is that the RWP cannot overcome gravity in the 6 inches or straight vertical prior to the strainer. I even blocked the intake grate once to no avail. I just take the hose off after the strainer as Greg described and run off the hose. My impeller test comes free with the bucket of RV A/F after running for a while on the hose.

I am extremely lame in that I have already winterized the SAN. I got eleven whopping hours on my boat this year. Most of the lakes around us are just coming off "no wake" this week from the high water this year. The Pony has been on a trailer since June....
Mike N

1968 Mustang

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 11:52am
thanks tim that makes perfect sense
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 11:32am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

I have no idea whats needed but my house delivers decent street water pressure and volume and when my boat is running on it at 2200 or so ive seen my black rubber hoses flatten out .

Thats one reason why a simple tee in the line works so well. Any volume of water that the RWP calls for beyond what the hose can supply will be made up by the air from the intake grate/scoop. Thats a better situation than collapsing a hose, which could cut the water supply off completely.

Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

What is the concern on running less water flow? As long as there is some water flow, and flow out of the exhaust pipe or pipes, it should be enough to keep things cool for warmup before oil change, winterizing, or other. Am I wrong, is there something that might be harmed if the engine flows 4 gal./minute instead of the 7-8 it might flow when in the lake?

Youre exactly right- there is no concern with pulling less water through the engine when on the hose. So long as you draw enough in to 1)keep the engine cool and 2)lubricate the impeller, youre golden.

The bucket method works great if youre trying to test your RWP, but for simple running on the hose, it sure seems like a clunky way to do things.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 10:20am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Another meathod is to pull the 90* fitting in Tim's pic and put the garden hose in its place. For the hose sizing on my boat, I clamp a short piece of 1" on the garden hose, and that fits right into the 1.25" going to the tranny cooler. I haven't tried this meathod with the fitting Tim set up yet.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

anybody know how many BTUH the engine produces at idle?   that might give us the answer to 63's question...

Gasoline has 114,000 btu/gallon. I don't know the fuel burn at idle, maybe 2 gal/hr.? If you know the fuel burn, you know how many btu produced if you assume all the fuel is combusted.

But - I'm not sure it matters in this case. It's pretty hard to overheat a raw water cooled engine even if water flow is reduced, as long as all passages are getting some flow. That's why I ask if there is any mechanical issue with the low water flow, I've always assumed it was fine if there was decent flow from both manifolds.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic