NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Re gelling question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Re gelling question
    Posted: September-10-2011 at 9:01pm
I posted this before but only got one responce,I guess everyone was off for the holidays. I'm in the process of regelling my console so the color matches my deck. These parts were repainted over the original gellcoat at one time, but by using the correct paint remover it's all off now and sanded. When I did the glove box lid I used regular remover and it attacked the original gell but has now sanded out very well.I'm also in the process of filling the gauge holes in the dash piece having tapered the holes and planning to fill with matt. My main question is does any one think that I need to remove any of the original gellcoat? It is in great shape and has scuffed up very well. I have ordered a gell gun but hasn't showed up yet,and some Dura Tec Clear hi gloss additive.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 9:10pm
Gary, I can't answer your question about spraying gel over gel, but am wondering if the console has been painted. The two I've seen appear painted, same as the 2 back seats I've got from mustangs.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 9:17pm
Yes Bruce this one was painted over the gell also, it wasn't even taken apart when it was done so it was even easier to tell when it was taken apart.You can even see it in the second picture and in the third one it's removed
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 9:26pm
Gary,
The Dura Tec link is bad!! Of course you've never gotten quoting correct ether!! Any gel in an "open mold" must have wax in it. Polyester gel needs to be sealed off (no oxygen) to cure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 9:41pm
Gary,   No, I would not remove the rest of the gel.
Scuff w/80 gt.
And you could save yourself alot of extra work by masking the gauge holes from the front and glassing them in from the backside.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 11:05pm
Here's a new link that will work,I forgot to check the 1st one before posting The gell coat I already have Pete,it's the stuff from MiniCraft that I had matched with the wax already in it.
Whats wrong with my quotes Pete? The only thing I thought I have trouble with is picture size,I have not been able to find the automatic sizing on photobucket.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 2:32am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Whats wrong with my quotes Pete? The only thing I thought I have trouble with is picture size,I have not been able to find the automatic sizing on photobucket.

tough crowd on here...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
mountaineerminer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mountaineerminer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 3:16am
Gary,

What is the correct paint stripper to use that does not remove the original gel?

Do you know what it was painted with?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 8:52am
Originally posted by mountaineerminer mountaineerminer wrote:

Gary,

What is the correct paint stripper to use that does not remove the original gel?

Interlux 299E

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2011 at 1:42am
Originally posted by mountaineerminer mountaineerminer wrote:

Gary,

Do you know what it was painted with?

I have no idea what paint was used originally when they painted it but I just used some paint remover from a big box store.Got some of this from West Marine,it seemed to work faster and did no damage.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2011 at 11:23pm
Well I tried my hand at gel coating today and for my 1st try it didn't come out too bad.It will need some hand sanding but I'll know more after it dries. I didn't get to use the Duratec high gloss additive because it says not to inhibit the cure by adding wax surfacing agents and my gel already had it added.I might just try it on something not important just to see what happens.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 2:08am
Looks great!

Is that the gun I've read about here that's recomended for gel? Pardon me being lazy...who has that? Minicraft?

Thanks
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 2:29am
I was actually looking on ebay Greg for a gun.Found this guy on there and then found his web site.Gun was cheaper on his site than on the bay due to no fees. Here's the link
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 11:51am
Wow, that looks great, Gary. That orange peel should sand out pretty easily... much nicer than my brush job!

I assume you catalyze the gel before loading it? Then just shoot what you want and clean it up before it kicks?

What kind of compressor are you using with it?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 12:00pm
Gary,
Looks great. Yes, now comes the hard part with sanding out the orange peel and buffing!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 2:27pm
Thanks again Gary. I'm also interested in the compressor you used.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 12:37am
Greg I have a great compressor but I would not buy one again.It's a Sears oilless 6hp 60 gallon.15 cfm @ 40lbs and 11.5 @ 90 The problem is it's direct drive high rpm and loud.It does everything I ask even runs my blast cabinet.But with an attached garage I have to be careful if you know what I mean
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

It's a Sears oilless 6hp 60 gallon.15 cfm @ 40lbs and 11.5 @ 90 The

Why doesn't it surprise me that Sears is yet another one to BS on the HP!! It's NOT 6 hp. running - that's peak or locked rotor!!! Sorry Gary but the compressor HP BS is on top of my list!!

As a reference, A true 5 HP compressor develops around 17 CFM at 175 PSI.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kelly mac 67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelly mac 67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 4:03pm
for what it is worth i found a company that gel coats and finishes if anyone is intrested
Kelly Mac
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 6:28pm
kelly mac - we are only interested if they do a good job at a reasonable price-- actually some would be interested if they do a good job at an unreasonable price-- good work is hard to find

This project is looking good.. I didnt see the original post first time it came up but in general the only reason for removing all the gelcote before respraying is to avoid having a very thick (relatively) total cross section of gel. The down side to that would be that as it is not glass filled it is more likely to crack if it gets too thick. In this case because of the part and it's use I wouldnt have worried about it either. But for general knowledge if it was on the hull or deck best case is down to the glass before Gel.. which is very painful..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 7:02pm
BTW, Gary I am very very interested in hearing how it comes out with the additive even if it won’t be the definitive test
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2011 at 12:30am
Originally posted by kelly mac 67 kelly mac 67 wrote:

for what it is worth i found a company that gel coats and finishes if anyone is intrested

Kelly,
As Joe requested, fill us in!1

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2011 at 1:46am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Wow, that looks great, Gary. That orange peel should sand out pretty easily... much nicer than my brush job!

I assume you catalyze the gel before loading it? Then just shoot what you want and clean it up before it kicks?

What kind of compressor are you using with it?

Sorry I missed your post Tim. You are correct on the catayzing.I was worried that it would kick before I got a chance to clean but it being cool here now I think helped.I also tried brushing to see how it looked before the gun arrived.This method is easier and it will help when I get more pratice.Not many parts to the gun,it cleans up easily.
I started sanding tonight and I'm happy with my first attempt.I have what looks like a couple of fish eyes in the glove box cover and a couple of thin spots in the old gauge panel,I'll do some more sanding and shoot another coat.I also tried mixing up a small batch of gel coat with the Duratec additive,it's mixed 50/50,and it set up so I'm going to use that too. Here's a couple of pictures.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2011 at 1:57am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Why doesn't it surprise me that Sears is yet another one to BS on the HP!! It's NOT 6 hp. running - that's peak or locked rotor!!! Sorry Gary but the compressor HP BS is on top of my list!!

As a reference, A true 5 HP compressor develops around 17 CFM at 175 PSI.

Yea I know Pete but my Dad bought it for me and you don't look a gift horse in the mouth.When it's time is up,I'll look at a Champion or a Quincy I guess.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
kelly mac 67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelly mac 67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2011 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

kelly mac - we are only interested if they do a good job at a reasonable price-- actually some would be interested if they do a good job at an unreasonable price-- good work is hard to find

This project is looking good.. I didnt see the original post first time it came up but in general the only reason for removing all the gelcote before respraying is to avoid having a very thick (relatively) total cross section of gel. The down side to that would be that as it is not glass filled it is more likely to crack if it gets too thick. In this case because of the part and it's use I wouldnt have worried about it either. But for general knowledge if it was on the hull or deck best case is down to the glass before Gel.. which is very painful..
WOW why would you assume that id recomend anything less but nice tower
Kelly Mac
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic