Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wrong spark plugs cause flooding?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wrong spark plugs cause flooding?
    Posted: September-13-2011 at 10:46pm
I just bought a 87 Ski Nautique about 4 weeks ago, and have been sorting it out. After fixing most everything (man some people don't take care of their boats), today I changed the spark plugs. It was hard to start (just turned over and over)after it was fully warmed up and sat for a while. It seemed to be flooding, as I could hold the throttle fully open, and it would start, die, then run fine.
The PO had installed Champion RV8C plugs. They are much different looking from the Autolite 24. Short, with a recessed tip. That means a cold plug to me, yes?
It needed an impeller (had pieces of the old one in the thermostat housing almost blocking it), so I'm wondering if he tried a colder plug
since it was running hot? I guess! Why else would you run such a cold plug?
Runs fine now!
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 1:55am
Spark plugs have no effect on engine temp. It sounds like you have a carb problem, float or power valve. I would put in the correct spark plug and overhaul the carb. Are you still running points? Make sure you check them if you are.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 12:54pm
So putting in the correct plug totally fixed it then?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 11:23pm
We'll see after I get the rest sorted out. It has a new carb that was just installed before I bought it. I'll try adjusting the idle and fuel/ air screws too. If it's like others I've seen, you adjust the mixture for best rpm, and lower it to idle at 600-700 rpm with the throttle stop screw. Sound right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 11:25pm
Oh, yes on points also, I will check them for gap and dwell.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 12:06pm
I'd maybe look more at float level than idle/air screws etc. See if you getting any leakage out of the booster nozzles at idle or after shutdown.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 10:13pm
I checked the idle screws, one was at 1 1/4 turns out, the other at 2 turns. I set them both at 1 1/2 turns per Holly's website. Seems to run and idle fine. No leakage visible after shutdown with the choke plate held open. Started right back up after 15 minutes.Hmm. Maybe the choke was sticking. I'll check that if it happens again.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 12:04pm
Good to here it's running well. Also, good idea on double checking that the choke is opening when it should. If it stayed closed, that could cause flooding too, like you say.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 1:47pm
Just a quick update. The choke wasn't opening completely even when if was completely warmed up (160). It was only closed maybe 1/5 of the way, but when I turned the choke housing, I had to go all the way past the last lean mark before it opened all the way. Now it starts right back up with a touch of throttle very eagerly, and revs better too.
I'm not sure the electric warm up feature is working even though it gets 13 volts when running, but as long as it's starting and running great I'll leave it alone. Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic